Window tint ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrocarbon Rocket

My truck already had the windows tinted when I got it. How can I tell what % it is. I know I'm only allowed 35% in Tennessee but don't know what I got. I've heard if you can read your drivers licence through it your good. I'm sure some of you will know better.

My daily is tinted and I think it is too dark. It sure helps here in Florida but I hate driving it at night because it is hard to see out, especially when making a turn. Sometimes I roll down the window to see the street I am trying to turn into. Never been stopped, but I keep wondering when I will.

I bet if you go to any tinting place they will be able to tell you what you have on there right now.

Don

Drive by a cop and give him the bird if he chases you it's OK, if he doesn't even act like he saw you, too dark [ddev

Next time you pull up to a stoplight, look at the car next to you and pick your nose with certain vigor. If they don't look away, maybe too dark. Another sure-fire test is to flip off a pack of bikers. (I don't recommended it) :D

Percentage of tint speaks to the amount of light allowed to pass thru the film. Here's an example that might help...

Driven20Autoworks20Window20Tinting20Guide.jpg

As mentioned, any shop that does tinting should know what you have. They should also have a meter to measure exactly what your percentage is.

There are a lot of cars/trucks here in East Tenn. with dark windows that never get pulled over. My truck and wifes car are tinted also.
Tim

My DD has 17%. Got a doctors note for extreme light sensitivity (which I have for real) so I can exceed the maximum allowed by law....... Now that it's legal for me, I haven't been stopped once!

I like the looks of it. I just don't want a ticket. It is kinda agrivating at night when turning onto other roads.

The picture chart helps alot. It kinda looks like mine might be at the limit. I can see out o.k. but, you gotta stick your head up close to see in. I'm gonna try to pull up to a settting cop and get his or her hopeful helpful input as well.

I'm surprised I haven't been stopped yet but one day I had the car in for service and all the other ones sitting there looked just as dark as mine, so maybe it is factory.

One night about 3 am my Son and I were coming from the shop and stopped at McDonalds for breakfast. We were sitting in the drivethru and a Sheriff rolled past us real slow and really put the eyeballs on us. My Son said "What is he looking at?" Maybe he thought I was a pimp. :D

Don

I was driving today in Grandville michigan today on my route and looked over to see a late model Lincoln with all the windows tinted very dark, even the windshield. CRAZY

Usually, the tint you see on new cars in the dealer show rooms is the max allowable tint, which is why, in California, you are not allowed to add any tint to the front driver and passenger windows. There are some states that allow dark tint, however, the CHP addressed that issue stating that if an out-of-state car has an illegal California tint, that vehicle is citable.

The exception is a doctor's note for a medical condition.

I once stopped a very attractive girl for tinted windows, it was high noon during the summer. She showed me a doctor's note for a skin condition. I told her she must know a doctor to have gonna that note since she was wearing a haltered top and shorts in the bright sun. I say she must know a cop too, to know that loophole in the law. I showed her the exception in the vehicle code book and asked her if she meant that exception. She said yes. I asked her to read the last line, "devices described in this section may not be used during hours of darkness." She asked, "What does that mean?". I told her windows shades. She said, "But it would ruin the looks of my car!". I told her, that meant she was doing it for looks and not a medical reason, sign here, press hard please. :D

Oh, by the way, I've cited people for the same offense twice, but I also cite for failure to comply. That's a $150 fine plus 1 point on your record.

I've got a question for GG and the other members of our forum who are or who have been police officers. All of the cop cars running around here have super dark tinted glass, why is it ok for them and not for regular citizens?

I have heard the reason that cops can't see what a person is doing inside the car (gun, etc) and that it makes it harder to drive, but just curious.

Don

Windows in MI can be tinted...

I've got a question for GG and the other members of our forum who are or who have been police officers. All of the cop cars running around here have super dark tinted glass, why is it ok for them and not for regular citizens?

I have heard the reason that cops can't see what a person is doing inside the car (gun, etc) and that it makes it harder to drive, but just curious.

Don

but only the rear door glass, side glass and back window....both front doors must be only as dark as was installed from the factory same applies for windshield...only as dark as from factory...if you want to tint the front door it can only be at the top edge of the glass and come down no more than 4"...looks stupid like that so nobody does it..... if you have an "eye doctors" prescription for light sensitivity you can produce the prescription if the front doors are tinted...out of state we can't deal with....our cop cars are not tinted and only the UC (under cover) cars normally have tint....yes it's an officer safety issue....ever walk up to a car and not be able to see anything inside??? Makes you a bit nervous.... sometimes if the tint on the back glass is dark enough I get on the PA and have them turn on the interior lights prior to approaching the vehicle...simply officer safety....

Usually, the tint you see on new cars in the dealer show rooms is the max allowable tint, which is why, in California, you are not allowed to add any tint to the front driver and passenger windows. There are some states that allow dark tint, however, the CHP addressed that issue stating that if an out-of-state car has an illegal California tint, that vehicle is citable.

The exception is a doctor's note for a medical condition.

I once stopped a very attractive girl for tinted windows, it was high noon during the summer. She showed me a doctor's note for a skin condition. I told her she must know a doctor to have gonna that note since she was wearing a haltered top and shorts in the bright sun. I say she must know a cop too, to know that loophole in the law. I showed her the exception in the vehicle code book and asked her if she meant that exception. She said yes. I asked her to read the last line, "devices described in this section may not be used during hours of darkness." She asked, "What does that mean?". I told her windows shades. She said, "But it would ruin the looks of my car!". I told her, that meant she was doing it for looks and not a medical reason, sign here, press hard please. :D

Oh, by the way, I've cited people for the same offense twice, but I also cite for failure to comply. That's a $150 fine plus 1 point on your record.

So how do you, as a cop, measure the % of the tint? Is it just your choice to say its too dark, or do you have some kind of guidline?

for us....? In MI...

So how do you, as a cop, measure the % of the tint? Is it just your choice to say its too dark, or do you have some kind of guidline?

If it's on the front door glass it's illegal...we don't go by the percentage of tint...the rear doors and side glass and rear glass can be as dark as you want...driver and passenger doors cannot be fully tinted darker than the factory glass....not sure about CA...gassersgarage you're up....

I told her, that meant she was doing it for looks and not a medical reason, sign here, press hard please. :D

Wow, I'm glad you're not here in Orlando ;)

In California, nothing can be on the front, driver's or front passenger windows. As for cops having tint, Carson Station cited a guy for tint. He complained to the Sheriff, a Chief from the Department showed up with a box of razor blades and made anyone with an illegal tint take it off. From my understanding, CHP has the same policy, no private vehicles may have an illegal tint. As for me, none of my vehicles has an illegal tint, I don't see the point.

Did you know that those plastic bug shields a lot of guys put on their trucks are illegal if they are red or blue?

Florida has some leaway on tint, I guess because of the heat and sun down here. There is a certain limit and the cops will stop you if they think it is too dark and put a meter on it to verify the degree of darkness.

My Son Don went to a wedding in a town north of here and a cop did a u turn and pulled him over for too dark of a tint. But that town (Northport Fl) is known for earning a good portion of their revenue by motor vehicle tickets.

Don

Latest posts

Back