'38 Chevy Truck Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think widening the fenders is a good move . One suggestion , hold your camera straight or rotate your pictures before posting ( you are killing my neck ) [;)

Sorry about the pic orientation, took from my cell phone and didnt double check before the post. Made some progress today. Zapped the front fender together. I needed to add 3.5 inches to give enough steering clearance and still doesnt look to out of position.

Also did some rough fab work on the rear fender. Added six inches to the old panel truck fender. I think the fat fender will look pretty good and actually matches the running boards now that i expanded those 3.5 inches. Also had to build the inner flange since it was an old panel truck fender

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 74
I am. If only my welding was that good..... :)

Not sure what color by flat and with some old skool pintstriping

And thanks for the feedback!

I like the widened fenders.I get a lot of comments on my wide fenders at carshows.I put my additions on top of the fenders. Looks great keep on the way you are going. You will have a nice looking ride when you're done.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did use the stock steering box and worked the motor around it. There is about a half inch between the header flange and the box. It also didn't leave me much room for the fan due to the forward position so I am going to run a thin electric. Let me know if you want a pic

Steering clearance and engine placement

Below are some pictures showing the placement and clearance around the stock steering box as well as the radiator and the view of the transmission inside the cab. Going to build a sheet metal tunnel fram out of round stock.

Hope these help

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 87
  • radiator clearance.jpg
    radiator clearance.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Floor.jpg
    Floor.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 89
  • steering clearance.jpg
    steering clearance.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 99
Looks good. Been thinking about running the axle under the frame when I build a real rat(Roads are a little rough here to be too low). I think yours just cemented the idea.

I see you`re running leaves in front. What did you have to do, if anything, to keep them when you z`ed the frame(relocate, change mounts, etc)?

Thanks,
Johnson

Last edited:
I left all the mounts in the stock spots however I did need to cut open the front of the cab to allow room for the frame.

Cool, thats what I was hoping. I`m already planning a ton of bodywork when I get around to mine, so letting the frame be in the front of the cab is no big deal.

Thanks,
Johnson

A little more progress.

Mocked and mounted the panel truck fenders with 6 inch extension that I made. You can also see how I had to split the running board to match the front fender which actually works out real nice as it lines up well with the rear fender. Also began building the lower panel on the front of the bed to so I can tie the running board and fender all together. You'll see that the fenders still need alot of work and will need to drop it extend the bottom about another 3 inches. Ran out of welding gas :(

Attachments

• Rear w fender.jpg
    Rear w fender.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Side Bed.jpg
    Side Bed.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Side Fender.jpg
    Side Fender.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 56
Chopping the top

Been a while since my last update. Chopped the top today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back