36 chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

I should have started a build thread long ago, but here goes. I bought this truck in aug. 08 and since then I have stripped it down , chopped the top, shortened the bed, z'ed the frame, flipped the front axle, replaced the rear leafs, and put a newer rear end, and I just mounted the 73 buick 455 and turbo 400 last weekend. I am now getting ready to box the frame. let me know what you guys think, and I have alot more pics. I will try to keep it up to date.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 223
  • l 018.jpg
    l 018.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 199
Here are some teardown pics and I also had to narrow the rear of the frame so the bed will go down over it.

Attachments

• l 017.jpg
    l 017.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 79
  • 009 (2).jpg
    009 (2).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 002 (3).jpg
    002 (3).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 94
Here are some pics of the chop And because this is my first build ever I made a few error like not bracing the cab when I cut the top off. It all worked out though I just had to put a ratchet strap horizontally around the hole cab to keep it together.

Attachments

• 005 (4).jpg
    005 (4).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 007 (3).jpg
    007 (3).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
good work so far. Nice lines on the chop and the ride height. Cool! [P

Hey guy's thanks for the comments, here are some more pics if your interested. On the front axle I still need to add a plate between the axle and leafs and flip the bolts the other way. The others are of the z'ed frame that I still need to box and add some braces.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 177
This weekend I am going to start boxing my frame, I wish I had a plasma cutter or a torch. Well I guess the sawzall will have to do

still got to box my frame too.... I'm not looking forward to it... But oh well it's important... Good luck with your boxing

Well I didnt get a thing done on the truck this last weekend, but hopefully this weekend I will. Since I dont have much besides a sawzall how would you guys do it. Should I Make a template and put my plate in a vise and cut it or tac it on the frame and cut off the extra. Any advise is appreciated.

Regarding boxing plates; I make a template using poster board and just like you will be doing, cut it out with a sawzall. That's why I have bad wrists and thumbs now. Built too many hot rods!

Yes a template out of of poster board is the way Im goin to go, thanks bob. I have been so busy around the house when I get home from work that I dont have any time for the fun stuff, maybe this weekend?

Regarding boxing plates; I make a template using poster board and just like you will be doing, cut it out with a sawzall. That's why I have bad wrists and thumbs now. Built too many hot rods!

Yeah--I hear that. Who'da thought that your hands would wear out? I'm always on the lookout for low impact/power tools now. This throatless shear I just got is a real hand saver for sheat iron--worth looking at. The chopsaw will do the sawzall job with a little less jaring, but the dust, sparks and noise
are a negative. The plasma cutter is quick and easy, but it's expensive and the smoke worries me--vaporized steel just can't be healthy to breath.

What it boils down to is fabricating is a dirty, dangerous job--gotta love it..

PA41

looks like a cool start there![cl

i used a piece of cardboard from an old box to make my boxing patterns.....

even with that and a torch to cut them out there was a grinder involved to "tweak the fit" (a 3 lb. hammer don't hurt none either!)

the sawzall is ruff on hands- a really good pair of gloves might help some, though

and be sure to let us know how it turns out[;)

Well three weeks have gone by and barely any progress, I did alter a cross member up front that was over the axle(I will post pics of that later). now before I get to boxing the front I have to figure out my exhaust. Im going to have to cut the top of the frame rail and put in a couple of tight bends of I guess maybe like 1.5 exhaust tube. Does anyone know how much clearance Im going to need Im not useing solid motor mounts.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back