120 VAC question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-known member
Mar 20, 2012
North side of Deer Mountain
Not related to cars, if it was, I'd know what to do.
I'm wiring up a float switch in a cistern to run a 1 hp shallow well pump. The float switch uses a piggyback plug that plugs into a 120 VAC outlet and then the pump plugs into it. My problem is the float switch is only rated to run a 1/2 hp pump. If it was a car, I'd use a relay..... simple.
Any electricians on the forum that know what I'd need to accomplish this or is there such a thing?
After I posted the above I attend a class at the University of YouTube and got it figured out. In the AC world they are also called contactors and for the most part work exactly like a dc relay in a car.

Latest posts