1949 Bentley Boattail Speedster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA, the project is looking great. i like the diamond plate. It looks like you're finding that the sheet metal forming stuff isn't magic or impossible. Failures are actually "test pieces". I have a bin full of those.

Take one of your oak stumps and carve or grind a few different size bowls (4" - 8" diameter) in the end. Put a good radius around the edge where it meets the horizontal plane. While you're at it, make a round face mallet 3"-4" diameter from one of the oak branches. You'll find you can form all kinds of sheet metal shapes with these 2 tools. When you're shaping, don't bottom out in the bowl. Beat out the rough shape and wheel it smooth.

PA, the project is looking great. i like the diamond plate. It looks like you're finding that the sheet metal forming stuff isn't magic or impossible. Failures are actually "test pieces". I have a bin full of those.

Take one of your oak stumps and carve or grind a few different size bowls (4" - 8" diameter) in the end. Put a good radius around the edge where it meets the horizontal plane. While you're at it, make a round face mallet 3"-4" diameter from one of the oak branches. You'll find you can form all kinds of sheet metal shapes with these 2 tools. When you're shaping, don't bottom out in the bowl. Beat out the rough shape and wheel it smooth.

Thanks for the tip DJ, I sawed on a stump first thing when I got home. Used a radial arm saw, sweeping the blade sideways in an arc over a slab, takeing shaving size bites, and routed an arching trough, much like a half of a fender. Will see about plunge cutting a few dishes tomorrow if I can cut some more slabs--Am tempted to fire up the little hobby sawmill I built a few years back..Need an excuse to use the thing..(I built it and found I was alergic to sawdust!)

Thanks for the checker plate opinion--I swiped the idea from Sam Fs project--lots of different iron on an interior makes for interesting looking.. (It sounds like I'm turning into a Russian huh?) Is good - this car making!!

Wadka--More wadka! :)

Later

PA41

Last edited:
Hmm...Not sure I should post this, but...

I often think about this very situation and I'd like to offer my "take."

1. "Made in China" isn't necessarily the pure garbage it used to be, but there is still some definate "quality" issues there.
2. How many big "domestic" companies outsource parts (or even the WHOLE THING) from "somewhere else" only to find quality levels suffer. This "Profit, first, last and ALWAYS" type of cancer has spread to EVERY level of the consumer market, not just automobiles (though living here in The Dirty 'Shwa in the long shadow of the CAW, cars are the most obvious).
3. If China, or India, or Bengladesh were to "take over the world," there would be no market for these cheap "hobbyist" tools such as my American car buds buy at Harbor Freight and my fellow Canadian car buds would buy at Princess Auto. The residents of these other countries have been raised with an entirely different mindset that our so-called "Western Cultures," therefore, hobbies WOULD NOT exist!! Therefore, they would have no market for their cheepy tools. Kinda like the snake swallowing it's own tail, inn'it?:confused:;)

On to a more positive note, PA-I'm totally diggin' on your cut down doors- the diamond plate sill is one cool detail, too-something many others likely would not have thought to do, in an area of the car's interior perhaps often reserved for a skin of exotic wood, or perhaps engine-turned aluminum or stainless...:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Yo Shea: Thanks for the comments--I stold the diamond plate interior from SFs build pics--(his DP Rockers are cool).. Your thoughts on the world tool market is insightfull--Never thought about the idea we are the main hobby peolple in the world--good thinking--.. We all think about other stuff than cars everyonce in a while-- Finances--politics-family-work-religion-carbuildin-- open forum in my shop everyday--it kinda leaks into the threads in between the checkerplate and the ball joint buster... I laugh alot in the shop too-- Lotsa things strike me funny...

Later

PA

Thanks for the tip DJ, I sawed on a stump first thing when I got home. Used a radial arm saw, sweeping the blade sideways in an arc over a slab, takeing shaving size bites, and routed an arching trough, much like a half of a fender. Will see about plunge cutting a few dishes tomorrow if I can cut some more slabs--Am tempted to fire up the little hobby sawmill I built a few years back..Need an excuse to use the thing..(I built it and found I was alergic to sawdust!)

No problem, anything I can do to help move it along - I can't wait to see how this boattail Bentley turns out.

e-man i wanna be there when ya'll pull into his driveway!!!

hey pa- i think i just made an apointment for the first "boattail bash& ratrod reunion" in the beautiful salido valley of north central arkansas

if we had some coffee, we could have coffee and donuts, if we had some donuts....

as far as hammers go......i just mentioned tonite in our Bible study how dad used to call his sledge hammer "the persuader" .....

heh heh don't ask how a sledge hammer came up in a Baptist Bible study,[S you woulda just had to been there....

BTW the oattail is looking good....

If you can't fix it with a hammer, try a bigger hammer. If that doesn't work, bash it to the point that nobody else can fix it either.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, try a bigger hammer. If that doesn't work, bash it to the point that nobody else can fix it either.

Yep. If ya can't fix it with a hammer, it ain't worth fixin'.

Speaking of seeing this beauty in person, I'm gonna be down in AR next week. If I can maybe I could swing by for an hour. PM'd you PA.

Hammers, we like hammers and donuts and coffee.

We might have to take the '53 it's got a/c or maybe we could borrow the Kenworth you drive, Curt.

Wow! Just thoughtta sumthin, A RRR Shop Crawl Vacation!!!

You start em off Sam, HRP is a little North of me, then Kelsydun is in LR, Flipper is near Memphis sometimes, and theres gotta be more----.. Then we all get on the buss and head for E-mans and DJs.. (A buss fulla bozos heading for arrizona) Lookout homeland security!!

Now ya gotta remember 'Reality Sucks' (or is that gravity?).. I'm not really a dead ringer for John Wayne like I been tellin everyone-- I'm just an old fatbellied red neck bubba (Bubba usta really be my name). My shop isn't really the thing with car lifts and black n white checkerd floors I been braggin on-- Its a 16x35 shed out back full of junk.. & Unfortunately, I am not the highly skilled, super smart, creative genius I tell everone I am.. I steal all my ideas offa the N-R-Net, and grind down my bubble gum welds for pics, and make sure all the pics are 'soft focus' like Liz Talor uses on her TV Adds..

I'm working on taking DJs pics and photoshoping me and the bently project on his Chassis--Ley ya know how it comes out..:)

Se ya when ya show up--Don't run over my dogs--the big white one won't move out of the drive way sometimes--just go around her..

PA41

Last edited:
Yep. If ya can't fix it with a hammer, it ain't worth fixin'.

Speaking of seeing this beauty in person, I'm gonna be down in AR next week. If I can maybe I could swing by for an hour. PM'd you PA.

PMd ya back Sam, Come on down any time ya can...

Gotta hammer story--(old guys always got stories).. Have a buddy out West that usta run a small aircraft repair businnes at a small airport in Salida CO. He would work on civilian aircraft out on the ramp regularly, and would use a stepladder and have the helper, or the owner/pilot hand him tools as needed. He had a small 4 drawer base tool box that he upgraded from to a big monster, and he stored all his collection of hammers in the little one. It was his standard practice with a new client to roll the little box out to the airplane, crawl up the ladder and start messing around with the engine, then ask the owner to get him a tool from the second drawer, then when the guy just saw a drawer of hammers--he'd go "Oh not that drawer--the first" After all the drawers were looked through, and if he still had a client, he'd fix the plane..

He didn't make alot of money--but hes gott lotta stories..

PA41

lookin good

still lookin Good PA, let me know when the unveiling is gonna be. Hope Im on the invite list . might have to zip up there on the scooter for some pics,n doughnuts, would love to see this in person myself...Sammy

still lookin Good PA, let me know when the unveiling is gonna be. Hope Im on the invite list . might have to zip up there on the scooter for some pics,n doughnuts, would love to see this in person myself...Sammy

The 'Unvealing Cookout' sounds like good idea Sammy--you're fer sure on the list.. When I get the tail built and get it yard driving good we'll have a burger burn, and let everyone do laps in the front yard.

PA41

Well, dang it PA41, looks like we're not gonna make it down that far into AR. I was really hoping to see the boattail rat in person.:( Another time I suppose... that RRR Shop Crawl sounds cool!

Well, dang it PA41, looks like we're not gonna make it down that far into AR. I was really hoping to see the boattail rat in person.:( Another time I suppose... that RRR Shop Crawl sounds cool!

Well-that's a dissappointment, was looking forward to meeting another RRR icon.. Where are you headed? St Louis, Branson?? Do the Arch and Grants Farm, bypass Branson if ya can. If ya just have too--do 'Steal Ya Dollar City' there. The Dolly Partons Stampede is OK too--They let ya eat a whole chicken or turkey leg without using a fork--(I like the chicken) Its kinda OK, but at $50 a head--KFC would be cheaper...

Anymore, guys who build any car, Much less a rat, are gettin pretty uncommon, and its a treat to meet people that do things. The biggest downside to this method of communication is that we are all spread out. So far I've met Arkansawyer, HRP, and Sammy from the RRR, and a few HAMB guys, All exactly what they seem -living, breathing the culture, was hoping to meet another.. Maybe next time.

PA41

That got me grinnin :) Had a buddy do that very thing Years ago, I was trying to help him put some cheep headers on a GMC pickup. They were a bear to fit, and after a couple hours, the guy just lost it and went off on his motor with a 3 pound shop hammer!!!

He was kinda squeeling/screaming, whacking his distributer and carb/aircleaner/valve covers!! Spooked hail outta ME!! It mightta been the case of PBR and the heat, but I never 'helped' him again...

PA41

I've been working on the rear fenders this weekend, building permanent mounts, and ran out of wire -- welding supply was closed, so I got out the poster board, markers and scissors--Per DJs suggestion. Turned the AC on (94 outside to day!).. Fun with art supplies!! :)

Tried 7 or 8 ideas, and came up with what I'll probably head for. The first 3 shots are close to what I see in my head. The last few were 'tries'.

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 258.jpg
    bentleybuild 258.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 126
  • bentleybuild 260.jpg
    bentleybuild 260.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 53
  • bentleybuild 261.jpg
    bentleybuild 261.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 52
  • bentleybuild 244.jpg