1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like an excuse to vent the fenders "bonneville style"

attachment.php

attachment.php

NOW you show me that.......:D
Torchie.[;)

So while everyone was out watching fireworks I had some help come over so we went into the shop.
When I picked up the basis for this build(41 Ford car)I knew that one of the king pins was really tight making it nearly impossible to turn the wheel. Just figured that when i got around to it I would rebuild the front end and take care of the problem.
Well now that I am going to use front sheet metal I wanted to check for tire clearence due to the body being channeled.
Since I had some help I figured that now was the time.
We pulled the front sheet metal off the axcess the front suspension. Unhooked all the tie rods and jacked up the frame. It turns out that both sides are seized:mad:
Tryed a little heat and some grease and some brute force. Got the passenger side wheel to move but then we couldn't get it to go back straight. Drivers side won't budge at all.
I am shooting for mid August for a complete mock up with all the sheet metal than it will all come apart to start the cleaning, painting and reassembly of the chassis. Now including a trip to the shop to press out the old kingpins.
i did put the front back on and it looks like tire clearence is ok. Most likely I will not be able to lower it any more though.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3109.jpg
    IMG_3109.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 63
Hey Torchie, I have a question about your chop. When you put the relief cuts in the windshield area and spread the A-pillars out, did it flatten the roof a little?

It seems that as I pull the pillars the front half of the roof gets pulled a little lower. Not much because of the girder, but enough to make a mismatch of the sheet metal.

I can get the drip rails to lign up but there is that step in the sheet metal. As I pull the arch gets lowwer. I'm wondering if really extending the relief cuts will provide more/enough relief, or if I should do a slight relief of the bottom half of the pillars to allow them to move in a bit.

I should put the front section of the roof on and measure re the arch before and after, but you can see it drop as I pull the top pillars out.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Hey Torchie, I have a question about your chop. When you put the relief cuts in the windshield area and spread the A-pillars out, did it flatten the roof a little?

It seems that as I pull the pillars the front half of the roof gets pulled a little lower. Not much because of the girder, but enough to make a mismatch of the sheet metal.

I can get the drip rails to lign up but there is that step in the sheet metal. As I pull the arch gets lowwer. I'm wondering if really extending the relief cuts will provide more/enough relief, or if I should do a slight relief of the bottom half of the pillars to allow them to move in a bit.

I should put the front section of the roof on and measure re the arch before and after, but you can see it drop as I pull the top pillars out.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Yes it does tend to flatten the roof a little gold03. I seriously looked at doing a relief cut on the bottom pillars as well but didn't do it as there is a lot more involved there due to the cowl and the dash board. But it can be done.
That is also the reason that some do a 4 way roof cut on these trucks.

The other thing to remember is that if you lean in the lower part of the pillar you will have a steeper angle to make up when you lean in the door tops. Not that it makes that much of a difference.

You could lengthen your cuts on the roof but there is always going to be some distortion.

The big thing is to make sure that the pinch weld that goes around the inside of the windshield opening lines up and stay on a paralelel (SP) plane or you will never get the windshield to seat properly.

This is why many of the people that do chops nowadays use an english wheel to fab up roof parts. Easier to make a new piece than it is to try and force the old one..
I know that I always harp about the old guys that taught me back in the 70's ,but they would say . "Get is close and call it good". Sometimes the more you mess with something the worse it gets
My 2 cents....
Torchie

One other thing gold.
You may find that when you add your filler piece you will have to spread out the rear portion of the roof as well to get the gutters to line up. That will also flatten the rear part of the roof....
Sorry for the crappy pic.
Keep at it.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 55
Hey Torchie, I appreciate the reply. I think you are right about not leaning in the bottom portion of the A pillar. The top of the door is likely getting close to the allowable angle to enable the use of the window.

Some of the sheet metal misalignment may go away as I massage the cut angler on the pillar. It will make the front drop a little more.

How's the boat coming along?

I was on the other board looking at a chop on a 46 Ford Tudor. You should check it out. Those big a** case suddenly have potential to me.

Hope things are well.

How's the boat coming along?

I was on the other board looking at a chop on a 46 Ford Tudor. You should check it out. Those big a** case suddenly have potential to me.

Hope things are well.

Boat is coming slowly gold. It is sitting on a trailer right now but the trailer needs a lot of fabrication to be right. I may just go back to using the one that came with it that needs less reworking[S

Engines are in primer waiting for the weather to co-operate to get them in color. The hoods will be tri-toned. Gold-creme and a black skunkstripe.

I love the 41-48 Fords(Obviously,given the choice of my front sheet metal) but chopping a tudor and having it look right is a real bitch. There was a guy from some scandinavian country on the there that chopped one and he basicaly took off the roof and the entire trunk lid surround panel to do it.. I applaude his workmanship but they tend to look to "squatty" to me. Now a coupe on the other hand... You should check out the "recreating the Jesse Lopez coupe" thread on there. Very "old School". Much like the way I was taught.

I am still collecting some parts and hope to post some pics in the near future to keep this thread alive. But have been busy dealing with life issue's. Ours as well as some of our immediate family. Looking forward to things settling back down to a dull roar:rolleyes:
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 50
Custom project parts scrounching still going on. Don't want anyone to think that I am just standing around on my one leg:eek:

1st pic is a really nice flathead radiator. This came out of a running driving car.

2nd pic is a banjo rear end that came out of the same car as the radiator. Just had all new brake parts about a year ago. Guy pulled it all and street rodded it this past winter.

3rd pic is the wheel covers that I plan on using if I go to 15" wheels. 52-53 Olds. Set of four in pretty decent shape. No curb rubs, just a few small dings.
They will clean up nice as they are stainless steel.

4th pic is the steering wheel off the boat project. Tu-toned it to match the engine hoods.I keep looking at it and thinking how great it would look on the custom:cool:

That's about it for now as I am still focusing on the "Surf" part of the "Surf and Turf" Builds.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40
Stuff looks like some good scores....

nothing wrong with scrounging around for stuff....one leg or two....:D....
I've got an officer who works at the dept with only one leg....birth defect....played football in high school and passed all the required police tests and attended the academy and has been workin the road for 5 years now.....never know he wears a prostetic leg from the knee down...I think he is the only one in Michigan.....sorry I ramble...:D

nothing wrong with scrounging around for stuff....one leg or two....:D....
I've got an officer who works at the dept with only one leg....birth defect....played football in high school and passed all the required police tests and attended the academy and has been workin the road for 5 years now.....never know he wears a prostetic leg from the knee down...I think he is the only one in Michigan.....sorry I ramble...:D

Quite alright Sgt. Mine came off about 7 years ago. My wife swears I walk better now than before it was cut off....problem is now the prostetic is my good leg and the other one not so good. But I do what I can.
Didn't stop me from dragging the pickup box about 80 feet so I could get it in front of the garage last night.
Thursdays goal is to get the box apart and set it on the frame for a look see.
Still waiting for my front fenders to get here.
Torchie.

My goal for today was to get the box apart so that I can set it up on the frame for a mock up.
This box is going to have to be channeled and possible shortened so it will be easier for me to handle if it is in pieces.
Just to make sure that it never came apart Ford not only bolt and screwed it together but welded and rivited it for good measure[S Got it apart with a minimum of cutting but I must say that parts of the box were not as good as I first thought.
Still plenty there to work with for now.
Also a shot of the finished air cleaner [cl (Johnson Javelin Hood) for the boat project.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 77
Thanks for the bump gold. I would like to report a ton of progress but I can't.
I have done many, many projects over the years but for some reason I can't seem to get any traction on this one. Who knows why....... Maybe I will be in a better frame of mind once it gets a little cooler around here and the boat is launched or at least finished.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back