1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tail gate patch

DJ: The roof paint looks great. [cl
I am willing to give the patch another go and make it taller if that helps reduce your stress level.

Last edited:
DJ: The roof paint looks great. [cl
I am willing to give the patch another go and make it taller if that helps reduce your stress level.

Thanks, I'll keep that as a fallback position. It is fully welded; the contour is correct except the weld area is low. Not sure where it will go when I take the 3/4 square out.

Got side tracked this morning (quoting a job) and haven't messed with today. It may be salvageable.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty stoked with the paint - not only the color, but it seems to be going on pretty nicely. Pretty forgiving for a rookie. (Just hope it doesn't fall off the first time I wash it.)

Yes, painting by braille doesn't work so well. Better to see what you are doing. And you are doing a great job.

Get's better looking every picture [cl

Funny thing with paint, some time it falls off but you can't get it our of you clothes or off you hands :eek:

Mose tailgate

I realized the most important shapes are the edges - I would like the tailgate to match to body. So I made a contour gage of the body.

IMG_1607.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then spent a couple hours with a soft hammer and dolly. Here's how the driver's side looked when I started.

IMG_1609.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the passenger side.

IMG_1610.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's what it looks like now.

IMG_1613.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Needs to be centered, but the contours are pretty close.

IMG_1614.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I decided to recess the license plate (don't have the goofy looking light/bracket that Ford put on these). Bent up the pan and spent a couple hours getting it to fit. I tacked it in place and ground the excess material that was sticking up.

IMG_1617.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spent a couple hours welding. I still need to some filler on the patch weld, but I think the recessed license plate pan is helping keep the shape.

IMG_1620.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1621.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back