1967 International 1300b - Slow but productive.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Well I recently aquired a 1967 International 1300 1 ton from Hyannis MA for $350.00 - Personally I think its a great buy, as a straight 6 cylinder 241ci with 4 speed manual. Has 33k original miles and a PTO Dump arm! Motor spins freely and the previous owner stated he had it running but needs a tune up. This will be a thread for me to post pictures and answer questions, I'm not a professional mechanic so I will be learning as I go and plan to do 90% of the work myself. Posting plans for the truck below, this will be a LONG project - end result... will be nasty to say the least.

Plans.

Ford Turbo'd IDI Diesel w/ Manual Transmission
Air Ride on all 4 corners
Aloca Rims w/ white walls

I'd love to be able to spin all 4 rears, welder's build from YouTube is my inspiration...

On to the pictures and current build status.

Craigslist Ad Pictures :
5Kc5Fb5He3L63Ma3H7c6b3599efa23f2012db.jpg

5I25Na5S33G83I63Jcc6b6b52f361f33b1736.jpg

5Ec5K75H73G13Kf3k9c6bed25dafbef2819c4.jpg

5Ne5G95J83E53Ib3H9c6bbce116dc9f31182a.jpg

After picking her up and driving 600 miles it seemed! (Damn photobucket...it won't let me load em! So I guess I'll link)

http://imageshack.us/g/715/8a1df3573e614bc09617838.jpg/

What will it take to get her road ready?
-Brakes
-Tune up
-Floor Pan Replacement
-Lower her a bit.

Open to suggestions, be gentle. Will take all professional advice and fabrication assistance! Hope I have some interest.

8a1df3573e614bc09617838.jpg

09df80116ad142fc87ecc90.jpg

33835c49dab34ea89fb553b.jpg

5297892843be44f98a73362.jpg

b65e056133c04d2a8069f74.jpg

c08d34ba6315425384a16ea.jpg

Last edited:
1aa03d85ff8d455882f0c62.jpg

2b65191cea5c4ca082723ae.jpg

5a331c12c2c9425899f95f5.jpg

Got to work cutting out the floor where the rust is rotted out, soon I'll be welding in my new floor.

img1014ry.jpg

As an IHC guy, may I suggest you forgo the cummins for a Ford Diesel? See they are made by IHC (or were until last year) and there is nothing cooler than an IHC in an IHC

I have, ah I forgot to change that - I copied that from a other board.

I will be going with the turbo charged IDI Ford diesel motor with the manual 5 speed transmission.

- Some issue I'm running into is I completely destroyed the driver side rear drum trying to remove the drum because it was rusted soild. I know I need new hardware, and shoes but I also need the little piston thing thats on the top I believe called the "wheel cylinder?" in which I sorta ruined lol. My mini sledge hammer went a little crazy that day - was a hot one out.

- Also, I know I need a new brake master cylinder - but RockAuto shows me that they have a Brake & Clutch Master for sale, as well as a Brake Master... I know I need a clutch slave cylinder as well but do I need both Brake & Clutch Master or just the Brake Master?

Last edited:
International dually! O im diggin it. Cant wait to see progress pics. RR[P

Thank you sir, it will be a long process but I will keep everyone as updated as possible. I usually do about 2-3 hours of work on it a day, I have a long list started of stuff that has to be done but I'm going to do the stuff to get her road worthy FIRST - then modify.

probably just the brake one

Okay, thanks!

$350.00?! :eek: That's awesome. Gonna be a cool ride when you're done.

Yessir. Originally it was on Craigslist for $650.00, I called the guy numerous times and got no response. Finally a call back he said he was surprised I was a real person and that everyone wanted to trade him like puppies, and useless things for the truck! I told him straight up, the only thing I wanted to trade him was CASH $$$$$ haha

Long story short, I had a flat in my daily driver pick up (06 Chevy Silverado) in which I obviously had to fix first...I told him this and he told me, bring what I thought was a fair price to pay that would fit my budget and we could work something out. I brought $400 cash and a 18 pack of Budwiser, he took the beer and $350! I was so pumped.

Apparently the truck was a beverage delivery vehicle for awhile in Mass, I've contacted a local beer brewery and they are going to be willing to offer me a free 15 gallon keg to use as a fuel tank and if the truck is "cool enough looking" they will offer to take pictures and post it on their website!

I recall reading a build on the 4x4 forum about a guy who put a 6.9 IH diesel in a travelall.
he said the International bellhousing bolted right up to it after removing the ford adapter.

I recall reading a build on the 4x4 forum about a guy who put a 6.9 IH diesel in a travelall.
he said the International bellhousing bolted right up to it after removing the ford adapter.

I haven't done much research on keeping the 4 speed transmission, I just feel that the driving it will be doing it would benefit from the 5 Speed with the overdrive. I also know I want the turbo version of the IDI....well because its bad ass [ddd

Can anyone give me some advice on purchasing a AFFORDABLE welder to learn welding on? I'm looking for something that can handle say, the thickness of my frame in case I decide to notch it.

In my opinion, go with the 5 speed, maybe a ZF6 version if possible. Depending on your gearing you will be high revving that engine in most cases. You want your high gear cruise speed rpm between 1800-2200rpm. Those old idi engines don't have much top end and are poky. But, they are reliable and have much cool factor plus plenty of torque. You are going to have a really nice set up when you get done. I can't wait to see it all come together.

In my opinion, go with the 5 speed, maybe a ZF6 version if possible. Depending on your gearing you will be high revving that engine in most cases. You want your high gear cruise speed rpm between 1800-2200rpm. Those old idi engines don't have much top end and are poky. But, they are reliable and have much cool factor plus plenty of torque. You are going to have a really nice set up when you get done. I can't wait to see it all come together.

Do the ZF6's come out of the newer 7.3's like the 99's or is it something I have to get from the 6.0's? Also, as far as keeping the stock rear end - is that possible?

Do the ZF6's come out of the newer 7.3's like the 99's or is it something I have to get from the 6.0's? Also, as far as keeping the stock rear end - is that possible?

Yeah it's possible, especially if you like top speeds in the upper 50's:D :D I'd swap it for a newer dually rearend with disk brakes and about 3.50 gears instead of probably 5.xx gears that IH rear probably has..

Yeah it's possible, especially if you like top speeds in the upper 50's:D :D I'd swap it for a newer dually rearend with disk brakes and about 3.50 gears instead of probably 5.xx gears that IH rear probably has..

How newer? I mean, I'd like to try to keep it under a budget - main goal right now is to get her moving but I'll keep that in mind when purchasing the motor/trans.

Agree with Tim on this one. Go newer rear. Better stopping and top end. There is a saying about stock IHC. If you are caught speeding in one, they dont give you a ticket, they give you an award.

Not going for any land speed records, I'm okay with being that guy who's holding up traffic in his old tin!

You can go with a '99-'04ish rear end. You might find an older one in the '90's but check the gear ratio. If your gear set is in the 5.XX area first and second gear are going to suck...haha. I'm with the post above, in the 3.50 area is where you might want to be (if possible). Take your time and ask around for some rear ends, maybe a local business has a junk truck you can rob a few parts off of.

Latest posts

Back