'31 A Progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys!!

Well, we were a little slow at work today, so I got the spot putty sanded down. Got a little more of the "edge" sanding done. I still need to hand sand around the window openings. I will be shooting fill primer and sanding that down as well. I removed all the screws from the firewall that were plugging up holes.........WTF???? Got started on sanding it. Now, what do I do with the holes??? I've got a couple ideas. I'm NOT removing the gas tank, and I'm NOT going to weld near it. The bodyshop has some pretty trick structural adhesive. I was thinking about cutting small patches and glue them on from inside the car, then fill from the outside with Tigerhair. I can still sand down the glue from the inside, paint over, and cover with carpet so It can't be seen. Check out the cloudy sediment bowl, it got all stirred up from the DA sander. I still have to remove it and drain the tank. I will be bending a new fuel line from copper and polishing it for a nice touch. Still lots more to go, but I'm gettin' there!!

Attachments

• aa15.jpg
    aa15.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 18
  • aa14.jpg
    aa14.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 20
Forgot my camera.....again! I tacled the other hard part on this build, I got all the holes in the firewall filled and cut off the brackets for the radiator support rods. Now I can finish sanding it. I will be getting the stainless support rod kit. Things are lookin' up!!

I got some suspension parts painted, and I'm trying to prep the rest between doing other things. I think the firewall will come out well. Don't know why someone drilled so many holes in it. I thought you guys might like to see my ugly mug! I've only got a couple hours a night to work on this thing, but I think I'm making pretty good progress with the time I have. Thanks for the support guys!!

Attachments

• aa16.jpg
    aa16.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • aa17.jpg
    aa17.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
  • aa18.jpg
    aa18.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 38
  • aa19.jpg
    aa19.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
Primer, finally! But, I still need to sand it before painting. I've decided to go with a darker grey, I think black would be too much black. I want some contrast with the black top, and black chassis. I drove my truck to work and forgot that my good spray gun was in my car, so I had to use my suction feed gun. Well, I got some "dry spots" where the primer went on dry. I can sand it out though. I'm posting a picture of my truck to show the final color. I made my final parts order today, I'm almost ready for suspension and brake reassembly, then it's all down hill from there. Thanks for all the support guys!!

Attachments

• aa20.jpg
    aa20.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
  • aa21.jpg
    aa21.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 9
  • aa22.jpg
    aa22.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 11
  • aa23.jpg
    aa23.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 18
  • pmachine2.jpg
    pmachine2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 22
This is a swift moving project.....really swift. Looks good piewagon. By the way, I paint everything with a 40 year old Binks Model 7 syphon gun. I have a new HVLP gun in the box but I can't bring myself to switch.

Thanks Gas! I really want to get this thing done. Try that HVLP gun, I have a feeling you won't be using that syphon gun anymore. Although that Binks gun you have is a pretty nice gun.

Finally finished block sanding it and got her in a "suede" grey. I used chip guard around the rear wheel wells, turned out great! I'm very satisfied with the results, everyone was on hand for the unmasking. Now I can start getting the driving gear and frame ready for paint. The front suspension is just about ready to be hung, then on to all the small stuff. I still haven't decided how, or where I'm going to mount the tail lights, and I still have to install the Lion Speed Head and and the other related engine stuff. It's moving right along, now that the biggest hurdle has been jumped. I'm psyched!! More to come!!

Attachments

• aa25.jpg
    aa25.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 13
  • aa30.jpg
    aa30.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 22
  • aa29.jpg
    aa29.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 17
  • aa27.jpg
    aa27.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 28
  • aa26.jpg
    aa26.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Rock!!

Very tedious work sanding the wheels, but I've got one done! I know...I know..why don't you have them blasted? $$$$$$ is the reason. If I can put in a little extra effort on the wheels, I can use the money on other things. Besides, the car is at work and I can't work on it weekends, so I brought the wheels home, and I can spend time in the garage, it is my sanctuary!! Only 3 more to go!

Attachments

• aa34.jpg
    aa34.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 28
If you've been following this thread, you know I have one guy helping me ( the other dropped out, kids! ), I put door skins on his '29 truck for him, and in return, he's doin' my brakes and suspension, that's why the car is at work. I couldn't see wasting the time while the car was at work, so I started the rest of the work while it's there, instead of waiting to bring it home, then start everything else. I'm making awsome progress as it is, and it will be done sooner that I had planned. Just less time in my "sanctuary"!

Thanks for all the support guys!! Chassis, firewall and engine done!! All the wheels are done! Now it's time for reassembly! I've got some small things to paint, starter, generator, cooling goose necks, etc.. Now I can install the Lion Speed Head and get the header & intake bolted up. It's all down hill from here!! Excited is an understatement.

Attachments

• aa35.jpg
    aa35.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 21
  • aa36.jpg
    aa36.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • aa37.jpg
    aa37.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 24
  • aa38.jpg
    aa38.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 34
Thanks Chipper! I'm ****** myself here. I can't ****** wait!! My goal is June 13th for a "cruise in" my work is hosting. Live music, cool cars, and plenty of food. We're introducing the new Camaro to the community. It should be fun!

Latest posts

Back