A nube's search for vision

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoShopSkills

So the deal on a 1960 truck fell through. My wife say's "build a truck", she likes the trucks better. If I do it will be based on a dual axel and 19" semi wheels. For balance, before I start spending any money and buying steel, I went to meet with a new friend and comb through some of his "inventory" & kick a few tires, er…what's left of the tires. I really am starting to like the lines of those late 1930's touring sedans Chevy and Pontiac built. He had a few, but nothing I have to have just yet. The problem I see with those sedans is, mid-project a guy might get lured off the slippery slope and start down the one of the paths that lead to either restoration or street rod. Dont want to go there…comments? Here's a few fun photos of what I viewed today, found the last one on the drive home...:

Sounds like you are suffering from "analysis paralysis". Just close your eyes and pick one. I would do anything in the pictures. They would all make good rides........

pace

just remember it usually cost more to restore a vehicle and a lot of time it is not worth anywhere near the $$$ you have put in it. also in a older restored 1920-early 1950 vehicles the distance you drive is very limited most of the time and freeway speeds are just a dream.

l have found in my experience restored ones are either a person had one earlier in life or a family member had one and it is a connection to them.

personally any one of those ones in the pics are a great choice for a rod [;)

l have several rods, as you can see by the links, and every one took years to build, some because of money, some because of time, some because of my old broken body and the truck for personal reasons.

if you get a project and have no vision or passion for the thing it will either sit or get sold for lack of interest. you have to find one that gets the creative juices flowing.

things to consider:

one of the biggest questions to ask yourself is what tools do l need, do l have talent levels for welding, fabbing and when a sticking point comes up solving the problem.

do you have dry place to do it & being in that space for a long time.

what tools and equipment do you have and how many more do l have to buy to finish this project..

do/can build you chassis or fix the one that is there or have to pay someone to do this or buy one already done.

rearend, brakes, suspension, motor & tranny, interior (or lack of).

glass, restored, replace or have to custom make.

paint which mean more $$ and time or not and leave the patina.

all the little purchases that add up, cleaners, spray lube(WD4O type stuff) sandpaper, nuts & bolts, oil and related fluids etc.

AND the biggest one of all, is it something l will want when done or flip it and move on to the next one.

l probably left out a bunch, this is just off the top of my head,

good lord he'p me, l sound like torchie:p

Later :cool:

This one! Shorten it by removing the rear doors, then add a truck bed behind your new 'extended' cab.
IMG_5647_zps31dcb19b.jpg

This one! Shorten it by removing the rear doors, then add a truck bed behind your new 'extended' cab.
IMG_5647_zps31dcb19b.jpg

WARNING; HIGHJACK of THREAD:eek:

close to the same year as this one.

take it and make a two door sedan outta it:D

Attachments

• start of sedan 2.jpg
    start of sedan 2.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 21
  • start of sedan 1.jpg
    start of sedan 1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 01 outside 026.jpg
    01 outside 026.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 23
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 28
Here's a close up of that front grill that's sitting in the coupe with the suicide doors:

Kind of like an angelic harp. This was the least expensive of everything he had. Maybe divine direction?

I have plenty of space and won't likely have to acquire much in the way of tools…about the only thing I don't own is a shop press and a lift. Guess I could weld up a rotisserie if need be. Got the rest covered: milling machine, lathe, Miller dynasty 200 DX, planishing hammer, english wheel, 40 ton shear, plasma cutter, hoists, sand blast cabinet and lots of friends with tools, air-airconditioned 2600' space (aircraft hangar) plus a 2.5 car garage shop. but I'm cautious and want to be sure I can stay motivated.

Yep. The grill is part of the deal. We (the junk man and I) already talked about the fact that the grill may be worth as much as the rest of the rust. If I go this route, it will have to be the leading edge of the car.

just remember it usually cost more to restore a vehicle and a lot of time it is not worth anywhere near the $$$ you have put in it. also in a older restored 1920-early 1950 vehicles the distance you drive is very limited most of the time and freeway speeds are just a dream.

l have found in my experience restored ones are either a person had one earlier in life or a family member had one and it is a connection to them.

personally any one of those ones in the pics are a great choice for a rod [;)

l have several rods, as you can see by the links, and every one took years to build, some because of money, some because of time, some because of my old broken body and the truck for personal reasons.

if you get a project and have no vision or passion for the thing it will either sit or get sold for lack of interest. you have to find one that gets the creative juices flowing.

things to consider:

one of the biggest questions to ask yourself is what tools do l need, do l have talent levels for welding, fabbing and when a sticking point comes up solving the problem.

do you have dry place to do it & being in that space for a long time.

what tools and equipment do you have and how many more do l have to buy to finish this project..

do/can build you chassis or fix the one that is there or have to pay someone to do this or buy one already done.

rearend, brakes, suspension, motor & tranny, interior (or lack of).

glass, restored, replace or have to custom make.

paint which mean more $$ and time or not and leave the patina.

all the little purchases that add up, cleaners, spray lube(WD4O type stuff) sandpaper, nuts & bolts, oil and related fluids etc.

AND the biggest one of all, is it something l will want when done or flip it and move on to the next one.

l probably left out a bunch, this is just off the top of my head,

good lord he'p me, l sound like torchie:p

Good to know that I've been a positive influence in your life skull ...;)

I agree, I'd keep it a Fodor. Loose the trunk and rear axle but keep the wheels. Heck I'd buy the cowl laying on the ground behind it lol. Also that ford Tudor sedan you found on the way home is exactly what I'm wanting to build after I finish and sell my truck.

I agree, I'd keep it a Fodor. Loose the trunk and rear axle but keep the wheels. Heck I'd buy the cowl laying on the ground behind it lol. Also that ford Tudor sedan you found on the way home is exactly what I'm wanting to build after I finish and sell my truck.

1941 Ford Tudor sedan JB. That's what the front clip for my project came off of. And this one looks to be in fairly decent shape. Any one of these rides would make great builds.
Torchie.

1941 Ford Tudor sedan JB. That's what the front clip for my project came off of. And this one looks to be in fairly decent shape. Any one of these rides would make great builds.
Torchie.

I thought it was around a 40-41 but didn't look at the pics real close lol. I actually missed out on a '41 fordor sedan a couple months back and really would like to find one in the future.

Yep the ole mordor
Like was said, leave it a four door drop it 6", engine, tranny wiring, window glass, seats and drive the thing.
If ya like ling leave the trunk if not, take it off.
Looks like the frontend and fenders are in there with the grille. Is the hood in there too?

I like the Fordor, and I would keep that trunk with it as it's very unique and you won't see another one like it with the trunk on. Full fenders, lowered, that would look awesome.

Keeping interest and maintaining your direction is hard for any project. If you come up with a vision and direction at the start that you love, it's easier to keep with the theme and overall vision all the way through.

Well here's some of the pile of sheet metal that comes with the one ya'll seem to like so much…

I've been able to read a lot over the past week or so and stumbled into a 3 day, mouth agape fascination with zzrodder's Caddy build. Like Zen, or maybe LSD, his build has opened my mind. I never thought of buying entire cars just to chop out a part like an entire IFS setup before (as opposed to wandering a pick and pull junk yard). Nor had I considered rebuilding an entire framework of steel tube inside the shell of a nearly rusted out hulk, simply to stiffen and rigidly support chop and channel creativity. Totally looking at this from a new perspective now.

His rehab of the front grill, if you haven't seen it, is reason alone to read the entire thread

Here's the trunk from the rear. It's been vandalized, so a natural "patina" might be a stretch with this project.

I'm also finding that local SC cars seem to have suffered far more acid rain erosion than similar age metals from the midwest and west. There's a lot of old stuff here, especially if you get out and drive around on some of the rural roads. The level of metal deterioration however is often nearly completed by nature.

I'm not sure much of any of this suspension system could actually be salvaged. Certainly the frame would have to be rebuilt to support any H.P. upgrades.

None the less, a new local paper listing appears this morning.

A little cheaper than the '38 Chevy and in far better shape, it would be a huge first project. On a scale similar to ZZ's Caddy, maybe too big, but I've always liked Pontiacs (yes even the Transports). A south of the border, bondo customized 1974 Ventura X-body, was my first car and I've purchased several other Pontiacs new and driven them into the ground since.

Can this unique old beast be made into a head turner?

I can't act on anything this week due to work commitments, but June 5 or so I'll be ready to have something flat-bedded home.

i gotta agree with a previous poster
unless you are rich
restoring is a fools errand
you end up pouring dollars into something that is not even freeway legal
those cars you have shown us are cool
i would probably make the body look semi-stock with modern components under the sheet metal.
i restored my willys jeep and i could barely take it on main street
top speed about 40mph

Latest posts

Back