Advice or Suggestions for my intake & carb???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I want to upgrade the intake and carb on my motor before I drop it back in. I've got a sbc 350 and right now just have a stock cast 4bl intake and q-jet carb. The only other thing I've done to the motor is swapped out cams for a Mellings 327/375 hp cam. I already have (for free) a stock gm aluminum dual plane intake or a Holley Street Dominator (#701R-28Z / 300-28Z). For carbs I can get an Edelbrock 650cfm (I think a "Performer") or a Holley 750cfm (dual fuel lines I think). I don't know much about this stuff yet, but would think the Holley 750 would be too much??? Both the Edelbrock and Holley carbs are $100 each. I eventually want to get some nice NEW stuff one of these days, but for now one of these combinations will have to work.

Oh yeah, I also already have a Holley 600 or 650cfm that I could use.

Thanks in advance.

That Holley Street Dominator is a dual plane intake right? I would go with that and the Edelbrock Performer. I say use the Edelbrock if you are not adept at fiddling with carbs. The Edelbrock is more of a set it and forget it kind of carb that in my opinion is more forgiving and less troublesome than the Holleys for a driver. Ultimately, you could squeeze more horsepower out of the Holley with tuning. By the way, that Edelbrock should be a 500, 600, or 750. I don't think they offer a 650. Does your factory aluminum manifold accept a square bore carb? If not you'll need an adapter to mount a Holley or Edelbrock on it.

The Holley vs. Edelbrock carb debate can get heated sometimes and all of this is just my opinion of course. I'm not a professional engine builder. You will get opinions on both sides of the fence. In the end you'll have to weigh all the information and make a decision. I've used both many times. On drivers where ultimate performance is not the primary goal, I use Edelbrocks. I'm also known to use a Stromberg or two :D

Thanks Gastrick. The Holley Street Dominator is NOT a dual plane. That's kinda why I was wondering if the gm dual plane would be better than the Holley single plane (if that's what it's called). I think I may just save up and get a brand new carb soon. After talking to my father in law, who is the motor man around here, seems to think there is no need for anything more than a 500cfm carb for street applications. I will probably go with an Edelbrock 500 when I do have the money. I'm still confused as to which intake to use and may just get a new intake when I get the carb.

For now I'll just use the factory cast intake and the Q-Jet carb I have. I just want to get her running... and soon. I can update the carb and intake later.

Thanks again for the insight and if you or anyone else has any advice to offer I would appreciate it.

hey man i missed this i guess! i think that the factory aluminum intake w/ your 600 carb (edelbrock #1406=600cfm i think, or holley list#1850=600cfm vac/secondary single fuel inlet) would be the cheapest and possibly the best of both worlds... i have a 750 on my 350 w/ 280 cam and 186 "camel hump" heads and still think a 750 is almost too much for it...

it may be that your GM alum. intake is a valuable relic-if so you might sell it and get enuf to buy you a new aftermarket intake.... that old street dominator is a cool old piece but not what i'd personally use for a mild street engine...(in fact i have one on the shelf and chose to leave it there!)

just my opinions and nothing more.....

I agree 100% with Gastrick and the Preacher. Dual plane intake for the street and 600 cfms are perfect. I also like Edelbrock carbs on the street, very user friendly and economical on gas.

The only question I have is about the cam choice. Isn't that 375 hp cam a solid lifter cam? If so, I think a mild hydraulic would be a better choice. If it is hydraulic though, go with it.

Don

Carb size calculator

Here is a link that might help some people out there with carb sizing, www.4secondsflat.com, hope that helps, remember understanding V/E or volumetric efficiency is the key to making this all happen. Suggested CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute ratings are usually on the conservative side which is a good thing, like cam selection, bigger is usually NOT better, any questions feel free to ask, 30years of dyno pulls, and I can tell you the "right combination" will always beat out sic and radical for what we do here at RRR, Ralph

ready for one more opinion

That GM intake might be the way to go with the edelbrock carb, I think that edelbrock will bolt right up (I think) but you can call edelbrock tech to know for sure. If the cam is just over stock this should work ok in my opinion. also in my opinion if the edelbrock doesn't bolt up I wouldn't go with an adaptor They always seemed to cause a hesitation. I would search places like the part page or craigslist for an edelbrock performer intake, they can be had used for around $50.00. for basic streetable/basically stock drivers I usually recomende the edelbrock 600 or the holley 600 0-80457S & performer or air gap intake. Just my opinions here.

hey kel, what did you come up with for you intake/carb, setup. I'm not sure where your located but we have a big swap meet coming up in carlise Pa the last week of september. Lots of cool stuff. I also deal in alot of new and used holley stuff if ya need any help just let me know.
frenchy

If the heads are ported and valves resized your v/e should be over 85% and the cam will be a good match. The performer air gap or plain old performer with a 750 would help keep you with in your powerband. Which is a 1407. If you do decide to go with a 1406/600cfm keep in mind the electric choke is set for a leaner mixture and the accelerator pump may need adjustment and the 1405 a 600 manual choke is from my experince good to go with minor adjustments.

Latest posts

Back