Air bags & leaf springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

I'm building my truck frame this weekend, I am using a single leaf spring , the really high arched one that goes side to side. I want to use air bags to slam it and get a better ride than that single leaf spring will provide. I'm also probably gonna do the same on the front.

Any advice/tips & pictures?

I'm building my truck frame this weekend, I am using a single leaf spring , the really high arched one that goes side to side. I want to use air bags to slam it and get a better ride than that single leaf spring will provide. I'm also probably gonna do the same on the front.

Got any pictures for us to show us (more or less me) what you mean? I've seen air over leaf setups, not sure what you are talking about - might be two in the same.

Lose that spring and just use the bags. Those springs dont have much travel due to the high arc.

This is basically the frame I'm building

Attachments

• LG_shorty_ratrod_frame2.jpg
    LG_shorty_ratrod_frame2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 38
If the spring is strong enough to hold up the car by itself, you'd need some sort of (reversed) cantilever on the spring ends so that the limited travel of the spring (3"?) won't limit your height using bags (probably 8" of travel?). You almost have to know what the weight on it will be so that you aren't lifting the car with just the spring instead of the bags. It's almost like you would be using the spring as a helper for the airbags?

Latest posts

Back