Asbestos covered automotive wiring ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

I spent the day stripping alot of dry rotted wiring and other things off my 51 F-1 cab. One thing I noticed about the old cloth covered wires was that every time I cut one alot of white dust came off in the air with each cut. Does anybody know if they used asbestos insulation in automotive wiring back in 1951??? I know asbestos was heavily used in brake shoe manufacturing but what about automotive wiring insulation??? It stands to reason that it might have been used but I'm not sure?? I've done large asbestos abatement work professionally before but it never crossed my mind that it might have been used in automobile wiring. My son is helping alot on this project and I'd like to make sure he's not exposed anymore to this stuff if it is asbestos!

Thanks for any information,

Thunder1

I don't think it is they usually used laquered cotton for the wiring. I'm also Asbestos Supervisor and NESHAP trained. But It doesn't hurt to wear a respirator or particle mask when your dismantling a vehicle because of biohazards from rodent feces or other possible hazards. I've spent tons of time "sucking rubber" in my job the last 15 years doing decontamination of and biological, hazardous, toxic, and radiological waste management and disposal. If it's nasty I've probably cleaned it up. So it pays to be cautious.

Thanks for the info dmw!! Yes, your absolutely right about wearing a mask. Long neglected old cars and trucks can be full of some nasty and potentially dangerous stuff. Everything from toxix chemicals and molds to bacterial organisms. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again,

Thunder1

Latest posts

Back