Cheap Hot Rod Bodies

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

The August issue of Rod and Custom has a terrific article in it that I thought might interest some of you. As you know, roadster bodies are getting harder to find and consequently more expensive. But there are tons of old truck bodies out there, and cabs can be picked up from free to less than a thousand bucks.

This article is about cutting up one of these truck bodies to build a one-off roadster body, and from the drawings they look pretty cool. The work would not be all that hard, and sometimes the truck roofs are caved in or rusty, so you can cut those off and probably pick up the body cheaper if it is damaged like that.

Here are some pictures of what the article shows. Sorry for the picture quality, but it is hard to get a good shot of shiny magazine paper. Just thought some of you might like to see this info.

Don

Attachments

• r d 002.jpg
    r d 002.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 49
  • r d 003.jpg
    r d 003.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 116
  • r d 004.jpg
    r d 004.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 78
  • r d 006.jpg
    r d 006.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 150
  • r d 007.jpg
    r d 007.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 116
Yeah,
I noticed that too.
Thats almost one of those things you look at at first and scratch your head to figure out what all went where.

Wonder how much of all that fabbin I could incorperat in to "Dark Sarcasm" and would it really be worth the time an effort.

That's funny you posted that. #2 is the one we are basing our 46-48 ford truck on. We are chopping the top all the way off, narrowing the cab, shortening the length, and of course channeling it. We are going to try to make a removable soft top. The body we are using is a glass body for our truck was converted from the 46-48 car and will be converted back into a roadster style rat rod.

Very unique and FUN!

Haven't even laid the glass yet. We are supposed to start next Saturday, but I will definately keep everyone posted. This will definitely be a one of a kind.

Haven't even laid the glass yet. We are supposed to start next Saturday, but I will definately keep everyone posted. This will definitely be a one of a kind.

A little tip for you. I have been laying glass on my T for a few months, and have had some fiberglass itch. Someone on here, and another forum suggested buying womens pantyhose, and rubbing it over your arms and other exposed areas. Said it pulls out the slivvers.

I was reluctant to go shopping for pantyhose :eek::eek:, but finally broke down and got a pair. Guess what..........IT REALLY WORKS. I came home itching the other night, and in a few minutes it was all gone.

Thank you to whoever posted that tip (I forget who you are).

Don

Or you can rub a thin layer of baby oil, or vasaline on your bare arms and it should stick to thar before it gets in to your pours.
KD,
keep us posted on what progress you are making.

I really enjoy the Rod & Custom myself, mostly for the artist renditions of some way out possibilities for custom builds. They have great stuff in the rag most of the time, but being from Primedia, it is always a duplicate or cut down version from one of their more popular rags, only with a couple blurps from the road shows. Thanks for bringing that issue to view, I really dug some of the easy to build rads they came up with.:D

Maximo

You're welcome. I like R and C too, have read it for almost 50 years. But it is getting really thin. If this keeps up, pretty soon they will be back to the little book size. :D:D

Don

I too have a subscription and drooled at those pics, by the way I have a 40-46 Chevy truck cab that the cowl would work great for a start of an RPU. I say just the cowl because that's the best part, and that is what I was going to use it for, but have gone a different direction.

I tried to go to Books-a-million and buy this issue. They don't carry back issues. some people have no common sence.....

Don, thanks for the link back to this. I am going to see if there is any way I can get a copy of this magazine.
Thanks

The August issue of Rod and Custom has a terrific article in it that I thought might interest some of you. As you know, roadster bodies are getting harder to find and consequently more expensive. But there are tons of old truck bodies out there, and cabs can be picked up from free to less than a thousand bucks.

This article is about cutting up one of these truck bodies to build a one-off roadster body, and from the drawings they look pretty cool. The work would not be all that hard, and sometimes the truck roofs are caved in or rusty, so you can cut those off and probably pick up the body cheaper if it is damaged like that.

Here are some pictures of what the article shows. Sorry for the picture quality, but it is hard to get a good shot of shiny magazine paper. Just thought some of you might like to see this info.
This winter they did an article about how somebody should build a rear engine rod.I emailed them and told them I had allready done it. They asked what engine,I told them their reply was thats interesting and that was it.Guess their waiting forone of their buddies to do it.When I saw that article I wanted to tell them your late again already have mine set up to be topless next year but after the firest cold shoulder I said nothing.LFE I know i beat them tothe punch 2 times thats good enough for me

same here, what is so cool about the old tin that is out to be had......Is the younger generations of the tuner class, have no idea of the potentials that is just waiting to be had for practically nothing. It leaves more for us to build with and the ability to create some really cool rides.
My 17 year old boy has friends with tuners and they all turn their noses up to my shop of freak rides as they call it. Most of them said they would never be caught hanging around the shop cause it is full old crap rides that dont turn 10K rpm with a turbo boosting it down the road.
Only problem is that none of them ever have beat any of the rides we build out here inthe west desert.......lol......what a bunch of maroons.:eek::D

Maximo

same here, what is so cool about the old tin that is out to be had......Is the younger generations of the tuner class, have no idea of the potentials that is just waiting to be had for practically nothing. It leaves more for us to build with and the ability to create some really cool rides.
My 17 year old boy has friends with tuners and they all turn their noses up to my shop of freak rides as they call it. Most of them said they would never be caught hanging around the shop cause it is full old crap rides that dont turn 10K rpm with a turbo boosting it down the road.
Only problem is that none of them ever have beat any of the rides we build out here inthe west desert.......lol......what a bunch of maroons.:eek::D

Maximo

Hey now, watch it there!:eek: Then again, I've never really been into import crap, I've only had two, both Datsun trucks the 72 was the cool one and I ended up pulling the engine from the 84 cuz someone had swapped a built up Z24 in it, that's all the further I got into "Tuners". As a matter of fact my first was a 1963 F100:D, and I've still got it progressively building it, I won't post pics of it as it's my baby and some ideas on there I would rather keep for myself. I've known the potential of these OLD cars since I was old enough to pick up a Street Rodder, this was about 12 years ago mind you, I was 10! Holy crap, can't believe I was into rods that early and I'm just now building one.

Hey now, watch it there!:eek: Then again, I've never really been into import crap, I've only had two, both Datsun trucks the 72 was the cool one and I ended up pulling the engine from the 84 cuz someone had swapped a built up Z24 in it, that's all the further I got into "Tuners". As a matter of fact my first was a 1963 F100:D, and I've still got it progressively building it, I won't post pics of it as it's my baby and some ideas on there I would rather keep for myself. I've known the potential of these OLD cars since I was old enough to pick up a Street Rodder, this was about 12 years ago mind you, I was 10! Holy crap, can't believe I was into rods that early and I'm just now building one.

hahahahaha....lol.......I was about the same age you were when my neighbor across the street took me for a ride in his jacked up 56 Chevy gasser. Damn, what a freaken ride that was, big harness strapes, crash helmet and the works. my mom would have skinned me alive if she was home that day.
It was the first time he took it down the street in front of the house, his wife was hooten and holleren at both of us when we pulled back into theyard.
I am now 48 and have been through more then 25 rides in the past 30 years. Only five were daily drivers, the rest would be classified as barly legal for the street...........never owned a tuner, you know computer and super chips to make them run with all the injection of many gas apps.
However, I do have an 86 Chevy multi-port-EFI unit I picked up for a reasonable chunk. It will be fitted to a 383 stroker soon enough. This will be my first tuner, which I am not really hep on doing, but with gas prices as they are for now, every little advantage will only help. Especially with the government clamping down on carburated rides and the new emmissions coming into effect around 2009. ooooppppssss.....was this a high-jack:eek:

Maximo

Latest posts

Back