GGFD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ4GEMAN

After taking time off I am finally back on the Grandin-Gardner Fire Department project. It has a long and checkered history and I won't bore you with the details.
The Reader's Digest version is that I went with Truckster when he purchased the truck for his project. The seller also had a 1949 International (Howe) fire truck for sale. It was disassembled and at the time stored on two trailers at a remote location. A deal was struck, title was given, and it found a home in my project pile.
Grandin and Gardner are two small towns near Fargo, ND. that have a community fire district. The truck was purchased there and shipped to Phoenix AZ where it was subsequently disassmbled for restoration. The original engine, transmission and most of the fire equipment were disposed of. What remained was a 3400 actual mileage (that is correct) truck with an incredible patina.
After years of neglect I am finally going to get this project finished. Stand by for photos as it progresses.

Here are 2 "before" photos. It is resting on an '83 Southwind (GM P-30) motor home chassis that I originally intended to use. It has a 6000 mile Big Block and all of the running gear has been rebuilt. Makes a great donor but the front suspension is too wide to look right, and it won't end up being low enough for "The Look".

I've tacked together a new frame out of 5 x 2 x .188 rectangular tubing to replicate the original. I'm evaluating whether to build a new independent front suspension with tubular "A" arms or to go with a P-50 beam axle.

The goal is to put it "in the weeds" for shows and be able to get enough clearance and ride quality for driving and parade use.

Attachments

• untitled-4.jpg
    untitled-4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 85
  • untitled-3.jpg
    untitled-3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 77
Thanks for the hint Earthman. This reply may be a little off topic but I have been using Adobe Lightroom to manage my photos. There are over 10,000 images in my portfolio and it has become a challenge. So far Lightroom has really simplified my life. I'm able to quickly locate and send images.

My problem with posting them to RRR was operator error. I think this has been sorted out so now you can look forward to more "Build" photos.

Doug

lfs

go with the IFS, better ride and if you go with a MII style setup and coil over spring shocks, you can raise and lower the truck easier and get the ride hieght needed to fit your'e needs. you can get rack & pinion steering stuff for great response and ease of driving.

great truck, really like the "wing" off the back of the cab and the door art/patina'd cab.

are you gonna keep it?

Later :cool:

Here is the progress during the past few days. The new frame is 5 X 2 X .188 rectangular tube following the plan view of the original. It is "zee'ed" 2 inches to achieve the desired ride height. The front axle is a P-50 Chevy Step Van unit narrowed 14 inches to clear the front fenders.

I stayed with the beam axle to simplify the build. I wanted to retain the big truck look using the 8X6-1/2 pattern truck rims instead of using passenger car wheels. It will have 19.5 duals on the rear.

The front part of the frame was layed out, dogged down on the bench and tacked together for welding. In spite of all of the clamps it warped when I added the fillet sections at the "Z".
The solution was to flip it over, dog it down again and weld in the bottom fillets. In the end it came out flat within 1/16" over the 10 foot length of this section. The photo of the cab shows the completed front frame section in place after welding and grinding.

Attachments

• _DSC6707.jpg
    _DSC6707.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 61
  • _DSC6702.jpg
    _DSC6702.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 60
  • _DSC6704.jpg
    _DSC6704.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 55
Rat Rodders:

I kinda jumped the gun in posting info on this build, but I was really excited about getting back to work on it. Let me back up and provide an overview of the project.

This 1949 International KB-5 (Howe) fire truck was originally was owned by the Grandin-Gardner (North Dakota) Fire Department. (I'm trying to get more information and historic photos.)

My goal is to build a truck that will retain the look and patina of the original, with modern running gear and a few Hot Rod elements (like the BBC and 700 R transmission), that I can have some fun with in local parades and public events.

Sketches of the concept to follow.

Hey Doug, from what we can see it's lookin good, but we need more photos.

I have a goal to post new photos every day, that means I have to work on it every day - keeps the project moving forward. (You can tell I'm not doing a really good job keeping up with this goal -maybe next week.)

What's that front axle look like?

Thanks for the comments guys.
I have been working on it every day but still need to simplify the process of getting photos from the camera to a post. These photos show cutting out the firewall and a trial fit on the engine, frame and axle.
I picked up the air bags on Saturday and did an initial layout on the front suspension to check clearances and to see if I can achieve the desired ride height and slammed show positions.
Plan to add more detail as I master the technology.

Attachments

• untitled-2-3.jpg
    untitled-2-3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 59
  • untitled-3-3.jpg
    untitled-3-3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 64
  • untitled-4-2.jpg
    untitled-4-2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 60
  • untitled-5.jpg
    untitled-5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 62
Guys:
Spent the day ordering and chasing parts for the front suspension so there is really nothing new to show.
I decided to use urethane rod ends instead of spherical (Heim) joints. It will be quieter and should hold up well for the intended use. Ordered weld bungs from Midwest Controls and the 3/4 x 5/8 urethane rod ends from FST. Picked up a length of 1-3/8 x .120 chrome moly tube to fab up the 4 link setup. It may be over kill but the bungs and rod ends are also chromo so why not.
I went a little over size from the usual hot rod stuff due to the size of the axle and brakes. I'm be using P30 motor home and step van suspension components along with truck rims and tires to get "the look" I'm after.
The beam axle along with the air bags should get me the lift and slam without the complications of an IRS front end.

Stay tuned for more.

I finished the engine mounts and welded them to the frame on Friday. I used 2 X 2 X 0.188 tube with a 1/2 round sleeve for the bolt. The part that bolts to the block is a urethane mount from Energy Suspension. The angles were a bit tricky and it took some grinding and fiddling to get them right. The frame tapers in about 5 degrees and the engine needed to be set level to accommodate the rake of the frame.

The bottom surface of the engine mounts will also serve as the upper mount for the air bags. The weld bungs and uethane rod ends for the suspension arrived today. I'll be laying out the front 4 link suspension, air bags and shock mounts tomorrow.

Attachments

• untitled-6.jpg
    untitled-6.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 31
  • untitled-3-4.jpg
    untitled-3-4.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 33
  • untitled-4-3.jpg
    untitled-4-3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back