Hours cut at work, and need to find something for off to

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris06GT

I work for PTC (Performance Torque Converters) and due to the economy like a lot of businesses, we have cut hours to 32 hours a week. I am a TIG and a MIG welder, and I go to school at night full-time pursuing a Design Engineering degree. However, living on my own and working during the day has taken it's toll. I am now looking for something to do for income F-Sun.

Any suggestions guys?

Ideer

I'm guessing your in Alabama...
You could do some low unit production special fabbing for the boatyards? or other industries?
poke around, develop a service and a spiel. make some cold calls.
When I was getting into framing houses bout 12 years ago I had to do a few at near cost to get a name going. The builders who knew me said they wouldn't sub me work out from under the guys I was working for until I had a bit of track record so their guys couldn't come to them saying they hired me out from under them.
How about...
Part time semi truck repair?
Overhead door and dock repair is always needing done.
carpentry and remodel?
design up some stuff and sell it on ebay.
Here's the thing about patents...
If you don't have the extra money laying around to get a patent on your own...you wont be able to afford to defend your patent.
And most fads like pet rocks and talking toilet seats have gone boom to bust before the patent is ever issued.
But don't fail to document your Idea or a big company can steal it and keep you from using it.
If you can't get a patent at least you can document the idea and make some money off it while everybody else does to.
What I'm talking about is going open source.
Patent law only allows patents to be issued on NEW ideas not in production.
If you make something and sell it and can prove when you did...no-one can patent it and it becomes free for anyone to use the idea.
At that point the money goes not to the maker that is exclusive but to the maker who is cheapest for one sort of people
And for another sort of people to the maker with the best quality.

I'm in the same predicament only worked full time from march till September diving a semi locally on a full time temporary gig and have been off 12 weeks.
I'm thinking about getting a tax id# liability and occupational injury insurance and offering myself to lease out as a 1099 contractor. I'm thinking it might be easier than finding a job job when they know they can cut the strings at any time they might need to with no negative fiscal consequences.
Not going into business full time but getting legit for side work.
My main trades are truck driving and carpentry.
I was accepted back into the carpenter's union and am focusing on that as a mainline of conventional employment.
It's the only thing I have a shot at with anything at all of a pension.

I have some other ideas a few are inventions and a few are just brands
I'm also working on a couple books, Just assembling Ideas nothing to flesh out yet.
I've never written a book before.
I am fairly literate but can I be interesting?
A book is the job that keeps on paying you after the work is done.
That's some smart money right there, Im want'n get me somn that right there :)
...And if it's a good book it won't be pirated so much. It will be printed, bought, and displayed proudly in a personal library such as my little nerd heaven here

my office.jpg

might sound a little lame - but deliver pizzas on fri and sat night if you can =
you can laugh or poke fun at the idea - but i used to manage a pizza hut - if youre at a decent volume store youll bring in an easy extra 50$ in cash in 2 days - and still get a little paycheck to boot.

Yep, as crazy as the pizza delivery job sounds, you can make some good money in tips and salary if you hustle. My Son Don did it for years and was making more than most of his friends who had "better" jobs. He was making about $ 100 or more a night.

He doesn't do that job any more, but it paid for his living for a few years.

Don

Last edited:
I have considered the delivery option. I have also considered metal art.... I have been taking scrap metal and making some pretty neat stuff.. I have made a couple of mini-choppers... And various things.... Haven't put much thought into selling it... eBay maybe?

if you are looking at selling the metal art, look into getting in touch with a local art gallery when you have a few different pieces. when you are able to show them all then you are going to be able to sell them a lot easier. At that point you can sell them on E-bay or right out of the gallery. Hell, at that point you could even go as far as making your own website with your pieces.

If you can sell art directly yourself on ebay or such,would work best.The problem with the art galleries and stores is that they charge 30 or 40 percent commission, so either your not making much or the price is too high for people to buy it.I have found that with my one of furniture pieces.

if your interested an in alabama i need some fabricating done on my bike its an old 1980 suzuki gs 85gl bobber let me know. i need the help an you need the extra income

Attachments

• 100_1530.jpg
    100_1530.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 11
Being a bar back/bouncer always did bring me good money from the tip outs from the bartenders and the paycheck for working. Oh yea it did help that our bar had gorgeous girls as bartenders and they brought in alot of tips each night.

Being a bar back/bouncer always did bring me good money from the tip outs from the bartenders and the paycheck for working. Oh yea it did help that our bar had gorgeous girls as bartenders and they brought in alot of tips each night.

lol - the bar i barbacked at had "ok" girls and one guy and i still tipped out at least 100 each night -- didnt get home till 5am though... but i was intoxicated most the time :/

"I have some other ideas a few are inventions and a few are just brands
I'm also working on a couple books, Just assembling Ideas nothing to flesh out yet.
I've never written a book before."

i have written and published two books. :) its a very good way to supplement your income, if you can get a publisher. the scrap art idea is a good one too. in two weeks, my shop closes and i lose my day job. after that, i will be building cars on my own, full time, to try to pay the bills. and because i love doing it.

I'm impressed! 2 books published is quite an accomplishment! Good luck with your new endeavors, I hope they all work for you. Who knows maybe you'll be successfull in each of them![cl..CR

I make pretty good money on riding lawn mowers and garden tractors. You can get them cheap, even free. fix them up a little and sell for a profit. I cleared over 2400 on 3 of them last year and now I have 5-6 more to get fixed up before mowing season gets here.

Well guys, I spread the word about needing work. Had a guy contact me that owns a business building stadium bleachers. He is hiring me on to work on weekends and some evenings during the week!! Pretty excited to be honest!! Things are looking up for the new year!!!!

You could try ....Amway! No wait...it's ...network marketing lol
I'm not selling or knocking Amway here now wait a minute...

I had a blast traveling around to the Amway seminars and rallies it was fun for a while and it was cheap.
I only did it for a couple years I didn't like that it was sold to me as my own business but found I could not use my network to move anything other than Amway's brand.
Some people find it's their thing and they do fairly well at it, it is a legitimate and respectable business. I don't want to offend anyone here who is into it, I'm just kidding around.

Can you imagine what Amway Hambers would be like? that would bog down a forum
"I'd like to talk with you later in detail about an interesting and lucrative opportunity"

I have to credit Amway associates with scraping away the crust from my eyes concerning my perceptions about jobs and giving me some fire in my belly for getting into business.

It's where I learned some truths like:
*There is no such thing as a good job.
*"It's not cold hard cash... IT'S SOFT...AND WARM!"-Zig Ziglar
zig_cutout.jpg

(man would I love to see Zig Ziglar one more time...the original Tony Robbins)
*"Surround yourself with people who have what you want and who are who you want to be...In computers they say Garbage in Garbage out but I say you put the good stuff in you get the good stuff out!"-Zig Ziglar
*Your boss will only want to pay you so much... beyond that point, no matter how much more money you make him he will see you as making too much and can eventually replace you with someone cheaper.
*Time is money and no matter what business you are in, No matter what your trade it all boils down to the fact that you are either:
1) Exchanging Your time for money... or
2) Exchanging someone else's time for money
If your selling your time you have a limited resource
If your selling other people's time you can multiply yourself and have an unlimited resource.
*Id rather have a little bitty piece of a great big thing than a great big piece of a little bitty thing"
*The Wrigleys made their fortune selling chewing gum, one of the simplest cheapest things. The Rockefellers and Vanderbilts were rich but the Wrigleys own an Island off the Coast of California".
*You can go broke selling to the rich man or get rich selling to the poor man".

Some of the things I learned through sales training for a water purifying company in the line of business as Culligan:
*If you don't have a lot of money to work with, can you really afford to buy an inferior product and replace it several times, or should buy a superior product with an excellent track record and warranty... and buy it only once".

Our spiel was "The water is purified by evaporation when it leaves the ocean but then it spends time in the atmosphere, It falls on the ground runs over the rocks and soaks into the soil. Then we drink it, bath in it and try to clean with it
At this point of the pitch we ask if they would like to see a demonstration of our product. we have a water softener system built into a clear plexiglass tube you can hook to the faucet.
first we describe how the water is softened
We describe how the softener pellets "are a special plastic, they have a molecular electrical charge that works on impurities like static electricity works on dust. The impurities in the water are more strongly attracted to the beads than the water and are pulled out. eventually the beads become covered and need cleaned. a salt water solution which never enters your pipes is washed over the beads. the impurities are more strongly attracted to the salt than to the beads and are washed away. Then the salt is flushed away leaving clean recharged beads ready to go back to work."

At this point we'd have them taste test the difference between their normal tap water and the the softened water

Then we'd describe how the sink top drinking water system works that further treats only the drinking water... not the whole house water because purified water sitting in the pipes for an extended length of time can leach a little metal out of your pipes and end up tasting like copper.

"The activated charcoal absorbs chemical impurities such as chlorine.."chlorine is like the wrapper on bread. it's there to keep it fresh until you eat it but you don't eat the wrapper with the bread do you?"

"And the reverse osmosis filter forces the water through a membrane with pores so small only the water molecule can fit through thereby Making it pure refined H2O".
"Water is a solvent and purified water doesn't have all the rocks and minerals and impurities absorbed up into it, it is a more active solvent making it a better cleaner"

Then we'd let them taste the difference between all three and take a cloth with the tap water and a cloth with the purified water around the house demonstrating that while ordinary tap water cannot remove watermarks and stains on it's own...purified water can.

It was an ingenious sales pitch and a beautiful product.
I was on lay-off from construction and got called back to work I didn't do much water selling.

I like to sell but I'm the kind of salesman that has to believe in what he's selling
There are other kinds of salesman...all good and professional...
that can either:
1)believe in anything no matter how those beliefs may contradict each other or contradict ethics or...
2)set aside personal belief in the product and only believe in the sell just like any politician can sell you on one agenda then turn around and just as whole heartedly sell you on the opposite thing a week later.
It's easiest to just refer to those two as 1)believes in anything or 2)believes in nothing but the sale.
I'm a critical thinker and technical thinker. I have affirmed beliefs. I am a judgmental person and any product or policy I endorse has to pass my muster or I will not Hawk it.
It's not that I won't..I have tried but If I don't believe in it I will fail to sell it and my belief is sacred. It isn't up for sale it's the rock that I stand on. It does change as I grow in knowledge and understanding...As I discover new truths and as people set me straight.
You cannot have a firm footing without an open ear.

I hope some of these ideas might help you out as they have helped me out take what you need and leave the rest.

Michael Ederer

Well guys, I spread the word about needing work. Had a guy contact me that owns a business building stadium bleachers. He is hiring me on to work on weekends and some evenings during the week!! Pretty excited to be honest!! Things are looking up for the new year!!!!

YAY!
Cheers!
Brust!
By the Beard of Zeus!

Latest posts

Back