If I....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
...try to build a mid-engine rat from a FWD ricer, what would be my best bet for a transmission? I think it needs a manual, but I'm concerned about the shift linkage problem. I really don't want a full automatic, so how about a semi-auto? Would that solve the linkage problem? (Not sure what cars have them)

Are there cable shifter set ups out there?

You wouldn't have to do a ricer, you could do something like a Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Stealth, etc.
V6 auto maybe able to do a manual valve body

Lucky Fast Eddie did this one a while back...uses a Fiero set up, which is similar to several front wheel drive cars. IF...(big if) I remember correctly, the Fiero and other similar GM's use a cable set up for the shifting of the manual transmissions

P5019297.jpg

P5019301.jpg

A 500 Caddy from an Eldorado, turbo 400 with a shifter like a rear engine dragster would use. A long Morse cable. Or 455 Olds from Tornado.

There's lots of supercharged 3.8 Buicks out there cheap or Caddy Northstar V8 fwds, 'course they are all autos...
If you really want an import, how about a Subaru WRX Turbo? They have a flat 4 or boxer style engine that sits low and ahead of the axle for a low center of gravity.

the only problem is with most of these setups is the motor is almost or is on top of the trans. i have thought about this alot and where i'm at on it is to use a american v8/v6 and shorten a manual trans and use a jag or vette independant (spelling) rearend to make a true mid engine. with the irs no driveshaft.

The one thing that will decide my donor is what I can get. Ricers are easy and cheap to find. FWD transverse set ups are short front to back - I'll be limited in space.

I've read most ricer transverse suspensions can be or are offset up to 10". So I hope to be able to move the motor farther forward at the axle.

You'll be ahead of the game if you can find a Toyota MR2 for the donor which is mid-engine. Only a 4-banger but they had supercharged and turbos over the years and liked to rev.

Latest posts

Back