I'm making a milkshake.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltmcq

I got flathead problems. My oil is a nice smooth milkshake. A few years ago I cracked a head so after I replace them it ran mostly fine meaning it ran fine tell all of a sudden it would puke out a bunch of water without getting hot. Ok ok the question is is there someway to test it to see if it's in the head or head gasket? I'm pretty sure I'm ****** with a cracked block but I thought I'd ask?

Pull the heads and look around the valves.Guaranteed you have a crack that has made its way to a water jacket.

If not you may have warping either on the heads or the deck.

Just lay a staight edge over the heads and the deck the long ways and in a criss cross manner with a feeler gauge and see what you end up with.

If you got more than .002 you got some issues to deal with.

Either way it is going to need to come apart due to the Coffee Milk Syndrom.

Well I pulled the head on the passenger side and found a crack in the third cylinder. On the bright side I have a nos 265 with a tri-power just sitting in the corner and I got a adapter to hook it up to a ford 3 spd. A radiator, starter, distributor, and a generator and I think I'll be ready to go...

Attachments

• IMG_6981-vi.jpg
    IMG_6981-vi.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 15
Flatheads are cool but not without a certain amount of inherent problems that come with them. The possibility of cracks and/or overheating is the biggest. As much as we love and respect them, there is no question Ford built the last one in '53 for a reason. OHV engines are just so much more reliable.

That being said........I can't wait to get started building my little modified, using the '46 flatmotor I got from Paul. :p:D:D:D

Don

If the crack is down in the bore, and not heading for the deck, you might be able to save it with a dry sleeve. Just an option. Sniper

I don't know what I've been doing but I finally got the 265 in and running today. Still got to get the exhaust hooked up. But after pulling the distributor out and turning 180 degrees it fired right up. Just got the one pic from my phone for now.
DSC00005%282%29.JPG

I like your truck a lot. Just to illustrate how some things, the good things don't change, in 1960 I put a 265 in a 1931 Model A pickup.

Latest posts

Back