licensing?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i am building my first rod and i decided to do a rat and while getting parts for my build (still work in progress) none of the cab or frame or anything have had a title. could i go in for inspection without doing extra work or what how should i go about making my rod legal without breaking the bank or tons of extra work?

Not familiar with Washington State, but some States are easy to register a car and some are nearly impossible. Go to your local dmv and ask what your options are, or maybe another member on here will know about your State.

Don

Make sure to get a notarized bills of sale on parts and use your dmv web site for your state and talk with the Highway Patrol and also try to find someone that has gone thru this in your State. I'm 3 builds in on dealing with CO DMV and all have had diferent paperwork do to the way they were built.

I've heard the Washington process isn't impossible but you end up with some kind of title that you don't actually get for a few years even though you can register it.

Exactly, for three years. During that time if someone turns up with proof of ownership they can claim the vehicle or restitution by petitioning a court. Should not be a problem if you bought everything legally. I have never heard of this actually happening.You may be asked to post a bond of 1 and 1/2 times the assesed value for the three years. During the three year period you can register, drive even sell the vehicle.
If you don't want the three year wait for a "real" title or you don't want to post the bond you can petition a court to award you official ownership immediatly.

working on this right now. i live in iowa but if you have to go get a bond talk to your insurance company they are the ones that did mine. $6,000 dollar bond for a 100 bucks not to bad i just sent it in still waiting to hear back what my next step is. But yeah it is not to bad but every state is different like people here said call up your dmv and see what they say or i didnt here it mentioned but find a club/ group of guys that have done this and pick there brain thats what i did most of the time they will try to help you out or tell you what they did.

Yeah guys I was wondering about this issue also. I live in Kentucky, the frame I am considering buying is home built, I was thinking of making my own woody body and stuff like that. Anybody in Kentucky know if its a problem here?

working on this right now. i live in iowa but if you have to go get a bond talk to your insurance company they are the ones that did mine. $6,000 dollar bond for a 100 bucks not to bad i just sent it in still waiting to hear back what my next step is. But yeah it is not to bad but every state is different like people here said call up your dmv and see what they say or i didnt here it mentioned but find a club/ group of guys that have done this and pick there brain thats what i did most of the time they will try to help you out or tell you what they did.

With a bonded title you at least have to have a serial number (VIN), don't you. I had nothing, so I had to go "Specially Constructed Vehicle" In Iowa.

bLUE

That could be true i dont no as i had a title for my jeep but they issued me a new number i think i will look when i get home [S

Latest posts

Back