Model A Speedster build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Broke down and got myself a new weber 2 bbl carb. Pretty cool, it works like 1/2 of a 4bbl - runs on the primary most of the time and opens the secondary when you need to unleash all 40 hp to pass that guy with the walker :D

Before & after

Attachments

• CIMG3384.jpg
    CIMG3384.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG3385.jpg
    CIMG3385.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG3386.jpg
    CIMG3386.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 54
It's a hotrod now BI. Waiting for the first drive video.

Me too! I still haven't gotten the thing to run quite right. I'm slowly narrowing it down by replacing parts. Also still need to hook up and adjust the brakes. So anytime now...of course I say that every week.

OK I the sheetmetal work is done! Got the tank surround and hood made. I'm pretty happy with it. [;)

Even managed to get the motor running well finally.

Attachments

• CIMG3387.jpg
    CIMG3387.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3391.jpg
    CIMG3391.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 73
  • CIMG3388.jpg
    CIMG3388.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3389.jpg
    CIMG3389.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 73
  • CIMG3390.jpg
    CIMG3390.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 67
Quintessential--constituting the nature of a type.

The essence of the thing.--the 'nature' of the beast.

or as my 3 year old grand daughter sez with a nod of the head -"ats what I'm tawkin 'bout"

Thanks for showing us-'preciate it much - like it alot..

PA41

That looks pretty cool,should be a lot of fun to drive around. Did you use slip rolls for the curved sheetmetal or just bend it around by hand?

I'm not sure what a sliproll is but it sounds nice!

I just made the bends for the frame using a conduit bender and a bench vise. Then I bent the sheetmetal over the frame, clamped and spot welded it. The hood was tricky but the rest pretty easy.

You guys give me too much credit!

SO, I actually got to take it around the block tonight! I was just going to pull it out to take pics...but what the hell. Me and the wife jumped in and drove around for about 20 mins. Nothing fell off, ran decent, stopped fine! Pretty awesome seeing everyone's reaction to it.

Still struggling with what color to paint it. Any photoshop experts feel like splashing some color on it? I'm thinking red, british racing green or silver.

Can't wait for the weekend!!:D:D:D

Attachments

• CIMG3395.jpg
    CIMG3395.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG3396.jpg
    CIMG3396.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 73
  • CIMG3397.jpg
    CIMG3397.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3394.jpg
    CIMG3394.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 67
  • CIMG3398.jpg
    CIMG3398.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 83
Amazing what you've done there Big Irish!! I mean that's impressive!!! I think Red would be a fine choice! That'll make her look fast even standing still.

Thunder

FINALLY got some paint on the body today. Body work takes me forever!:mad:

It came out really good I think for a complete amateur job. I'm using Tractor Supply restoration series enamel. Its really nice to work with - dries real slow so you can take your time. Of course thats a downside too; I'll have some gnats in the paint by the time it dries, but hey its not a Ferrari!

Attachments

• P5140034.jpg
    P5140034.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P5140036.jpg
    P5140036.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P5140035.jpg
    P5140035.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 35
FINALLY got some paint on the body today. Body work takes me forever!:mad:

It came out really good I think for a complete amateur job. I'm using Tractor Supply restoration series enamel. Its really nice to work with - dries real slow so you can take your time. Of course thats a downside too; I'll have some gnats in the paint by the time it dries, but hey its not a Ferrari!

I can only assume you primered first? Going to be doing a similar type "simple" body.

The build itself is fantastic. Making things look so simple and clean is the hardest thing to do. I cannot believe how straight you got everything to come out. Once it's assembled nobody will ever assume you built that thing from scratch. If I looked at the thread backwards I would have been surprised to see it was scratch built. Great job!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Yes, that's what has been taking me so long - bondo, high-fill primer, wet sand, prime again, wet sand, then finally some color. I'll do another wet sand and then a final coat this week.

Latest posts

Back