model a trans to flathead?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtRatsSpeedShop

ok so i have a complete 4cyl engine, trans, driveshaft, rearend that came out of my model a and i just found a guy that has a stockpile of flatheads (sorry not telling)(plus i dont think he wants to sell them all) back to the question can i mount the flathead to the 3 spd model a trans? thanks in advance

drss

While I'm not an expert on the subject, I had a few Model A's years ago. When I put a flathead in one, I changed to a V8 rear end and transmission. Never heard of anyone hooking one up to a Model A trans.

Back in the day this was a common swap, well swap may not be the correct way to phrase it, as the swap part was installing a Flathead Ford into a model car. Many of these maintained the old Model A running gear, at least for as long as it lasted. Advance Adapters still have the parts I would think and if not there should be some of the old stuff still around.

Roland

Aside from being very weak, they are also a very crude transmission. If you have ever driven a stock model a you will know what I mean. They make noise (not the good ones we hot rodders like) and shift hard. They are also a non syncromesh first gear which means you have to come to almost a complete stop to get it into first.

There are so many better transmissions out there that my opinion is to leave this one to some restorer who only drives his car onto the fairgrounds. :):)

Don

Latest posts

Back