my '64 ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure if these pictures are worth showing but I didn't want you guys to think I stopped working on my project. I slowed down a little because of the cold so I built a wood burner out of some old rims . It sure is nice to have a little heat in the shop other than when I huddle around the welder. I should of started building something ten years ago . I am having so much fun ! For the most part I know how I want my frame to look but I' m still not sure I can pull off the body look I want . Im running my 292 y block , anyone running one with an overdrive? Take care all and enjoy the new year .

Nice build. diffenitely different. Lots to chop, that big roof.
I concern that the reversed front perch, will give you enough suspension travel? Looks mighty close to the frame. and you still have to add eng.trans,body on.?

Look forward to more..

Nice build. diffenitely different. Lots to chop, that big roof.
I concern that the reversed front perch, will give you enough suspension travel? Looks mighty close to the frame. and you still have to add eng.trans,body on.?

Look forward to more..

Yeh, the front suspension is a work in progress. I have changed the spring mount from the picture you are (I think) referring to. Now the top of the spring is in line with the bottom of the frame so I dont think it should hit. I dont think that spring is stiff enough for my heavy engine though. I have some air ride shocks off the rear of my harley that are rated for 25 psi. I thought I might run those shocks to add a little stiffness. I also plan to change where the shackle side of the springs mount which is ganna raise the front another inch or so.

Man for a first time build of anything you sure jump in some deep water. You ain't skeerd of nuttin are ya? That alone makes tis a fun build to watch, the quality and out of the box thinking makes it a great build to watch.[cl[dr

Now git to that top chop and flat windshield conversion [P[;)

last pictures for awhile

ganna put my rat rod in the corner for awhile because I just pulled my future daily driver home last nite and I got to get her on the road. It looks like rat rodding has taken hold and I dont think I can turn back now. I just hope I can pull it off. If anyone wants to see a build thread of my daily driver just let me know and I will start one. thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• f250 013.jpg
    f250 013.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 84
  • f250 015.jpg
    f250 015.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 90
  • f250 016.jpg
    f250 016.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 80
  • f250 018.jpg
    f250 018.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 76
  • f250 019.JPG
    f250 019.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 68
  • f250 007.JPG
    f250 007.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 67
got my rat rod out of the corner and back into my shop!

I dont have any new pictures yet because I havent made any new progress. for some reason I havent found the extra time to work on her so hoping this new post will magically get me out to the shop. The weekend is almost here and soccer season is almost over. I have high hopes. Raising a kid takes a lot of free time away and I dont even think im that good at it. Hats off to all you Rat Rodderds who are also building a family. A little bit about my rat rod... I built the frame before I knew how the body was going to turn out. a better moch up in the beginning would of helped. This weekend I hope to add 6" to the center of my frame and in the very front I am going to step up the frame 1 1/2" and add 5 to 6" so I have a little more engine room . I am also changing my front suspention a bit. that single spring is not enough for the weight I got. I know this is alittle unclear with out pictures. I hope to catch you up to date by the end of the weekend. gotta go Im late for work!

How about some pics of your driver too?

my blue 62 was ganna be my driver but I got in a pinch and needed something running right away and luck have it I came across a 69 galexie cheap that just needed an oil change.So the blue 62 is a future project. plan to build a flat bed(actually cut down the original flat bed that was on the red 1 ton) and build it as a cool work truck. heres a picture of my daily driver now.maybe I could park it at your place this winter and you could bag it and drop the top. that is if you dont have anything going on.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 23
Nice daily! We can hope I get fired, then I'd have time. :rolleyes: I think you'd need a glass man for that chop though. I say widen it a foot. :D

WOW! how did I miss this one?
Glad it got brought back, all I can say is I am impressed........[cl
For your 1st build you have done a great job so far and given me way to many idea's. And I thought I was nuts for widening my cowel, my hats off to you tackle'n what you have[cl
Please get the top on we are waiting and[dr

got some rework done

in the beginning I built the frame before I really new what i was doing with the body, so I had to redu some stuff. the engine was tucked to far under the body so I added 6" in the middle of the frame and I have lengthened the front of the frame 4 " and notched it up almost 3". I have changed my mind about the front suspension . I want air bags up front so I can drop it down when I park it but I dont want the look of the air bags. my other idea is quarter eliptical springs. I do plan on putting air in back so i probable dont need it up front. the frame work I did today isnt finished. figured I would finish it when I get some more stuff figured out.I am not sure what I will work on next. I would like to get the suspention front and back figured out and done but I want to continue on the body work.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 39
Yeah, it's a Ford, you wouldn't want to hide the distributor. :rolleyes::p

What are the plans for the windshield? Split flat glass?

my plan is flat but one piece.I plan to make the body come back to where the window posts start to go up allowing me to run glass straight across from side to side.

a couple new frame pictures , my improved wood burner from last year, and my current daily driver that keeps me from working on my rat rod.

Attachments

• hotrod 001.JPG
    hotrod 001.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 22
  • hotrod 002.JPG
    hotrod 002.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
  • hotrod 005.JPG
    hotrod 005.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 18
  • hotrod 006.JPG
    hotrod 006.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • hotrod 008.JPG
    hotrod 008.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 21
Tell us a little more about the wheel design on that woodburner. They form a heat chamber of sorts I am guessing?

my rat rod started out as a 1 ton . I didnt think I would ever use the rims but I needed heat in the winter. I cut out the centers then welded the rims together with the idea the heat would radiate out . it works really good. Once I get the shop insulated I bet I will be able to work in a t shirt. I like that the heaters got a little truck in it.

Latest posts

Back