No more used syuff on ebay

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Hi guys seems ebay is having more and more new dealer type stuff these days and hardly anything used.Does anybody find that is there a better selling webpage where there is more used stuff. things like Model a top wood kits never any used all new.ibeam axles, mustang II front suspension stuff
Kind reminds me of the travel sites looking for hotels all ya get is all the expensive ones and the budget ones never get mentioned so ya figger there are no hotels in that city so book an expensive one.Then when ya get there find out the cheaper alternative is right next store.
anybody finding that too.

It's been years since I have bought anything off of flea-bay. It's become an expensive Amazon type site, and less user friendly.

I use eBay all the time.
Bit it does take an awful lot of looking to find what I want for a good price.
I wade through thousands of B.S. ads before I get what I want.

Many times a brand new car part is cheaper than a trashed used one that some buttthole thinks is worth a fortune because it is vintage
Radiators and axles come to mind.

Ebay is an ever changing world but there is still millions of good used parts. One problem is the fit function of the listing. Pick a search, like 1959 Ford F100 and go to vintage parts. It will list thousands of stupid, useless new crap like license plate frames or stuff that would never fit a 59 Ford and you have to sift through it all. The only way around it is to search every single item by name, like 1959 F100 steering wheel.
Another thing many of the more savvy sellers do is cleaning the parts good and rattle can painting them. We can expect to get at least double or triple for a freshly painted hood hinge as we can one "as removed". On chrome trim, like hood emblems, I buff them out and repaint the background. It makes the difference between a hood emblem that brings 20 bucks or one that brings 100.
And in reality, it is a lot more of a buyers market than it was a few years ago. We don't get near the money for a lot of things that we used to. Repops killed a lot of it though. I used to get $75 for a nice used sbc ramshorn. Now you can't give away used ones because the repops are $59. I still do Ok on the ones they don't repop, like the 67-72 pickup ones.

which one of the Rams horn has/had that swept back

outlet on one side...nephew in TN says they are scarce as hens teeth anymore.....I can't remember what they came on...

WB is right, that "fits" crap drives me crazy. Sure, those super dooper HID headlights might fit the headlight hole in a 47 Lincoln, but they sure as heck won't work with stock wiring. And why does the same seller have to list 50 identical items instead of listing it one time and say they have 50 or more to sell? I thought they were doing away with that here while back, seems like it's only gotten worse.

I do search sometimes just by what I'm looking for, and if I find it, I save it even if I don't bid. That way, if another comes up, I can use the "see similar items" search.

For those of you that buy a lot there, as of Jan 1st, the eBay Bucks are no longer given on parts and accessories purchases. Since I very seldom buy anything anywhere else on eBay, I won't be getting any anymore. :mad: Some quarters I did pretty good, some I didn't earn any. Can't figure out why they quit giving them on Motors unless that was the only thing selling was auto parts.....

outlet on one side...nephew in TN says they are scarce as hens teeth anymore.....I can't remember what they came on...

I think late 60's/early70's pickups had this style. I'm using one on my drivers side and it clears my steering shaft perfectly. The passenger side was also swept back but the pair I got was cracked on that side so I'm using a straight down one.

Blue

Hi guys seems ebay is having more and more new dealer type stuff these days and hardly anything used.

Tell me about it!!! Now when I try to look up something... I get over 200 ads for new cars I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in. I also hate the way they've changed how you look for individual makes etc. Been using CL a whole lot more these days.

BoB

Do you guys know you can narrow your search by eliminating certain words? Putting a negative "-" before a word will kill any ads with that word in it. This is my generic saved search for my truck:
ford (pickup, truck, f100, f250, f-100, f-250) (61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966) -diecast -jada -sign -service -owners -edition -catalog -scale -diagram -diagrams -brochure -1:64 -1/18 -model -book -ad

It helps narrow it down. Then I can add whatever part I might be looking for to the front of it all.

Do you guys know you can narrow your search by eliminating certain words? Putting a negative "-" before a word will kill any ads with that word in it. This is my generic saved search for my truck:
ford (pickup, truck, f100, f250, f-100, f-250) (61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966) -diecast -jada -sign -service -owners -edition -catalog -scale -diagram -diagrams -brochure -1:64 -1/18 -model -book -ad

It helps narrow it down. Then I can add whatever part I might be looking for to the front of it all.

Exactly Sam. Plus if you search for let's say 1950 Ford F-1 you dont have to look at all the toys, shirt. mugs, ect. Side bar on the left lets you bring up just what you want. i.e. Vintage trucks and parts.

For the many of us that were envolved with this hobby in the PC age(pre computers), ebay and others site continue to make things available that I used to spend days or weeks searching for. This site is a prime example of that.
Just my 2 cents.
Torchie.

I use eBay all the time and buy most of my parts from there, just scored a front windshield frame for my 38 chevrolet truck.

Yes Use e-Bay all the time, if you spend a little time (Time is all I got) you can get real good deals.[dr
I like to watch the bidding and bid a couple of days before close then stop this makes the guys I'm bidding against think I quit. but in the last 120 seconds I bid my preset price. get them every time. the trick is to set a top price you will pay and STICK TO IT. don't get caught up in a bidding war, leave your ego out of it if you want deals.
Funny story I bought a complete set of window garnishes for $35.00 bucks, for a 50 shoe box I had Because the seller misspelled[S the word garnishes It was listed all by its self away from the lists of dozens of window garnishes. I misspelled it the same and found it by accident, ran for a couple of weeks and no other bids, even tho ones listed with proper spelling were selling for $250.00
Sometime bad spelling pays off;)

Most of the time, I don't even bid until within the last few seconds. I get it, or I don't. That way, I don't get excited and overbid my limits.

I am looking for a certain grill emblem for my Lincoln, I have the search saved, also have the ones I've been out bit on saved. I have been too cheap to pay what they have sold for, but haven't given up hope. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay up, I just hate to.

Using the [-] works to some degree, but sometimes it eliminates too many items. I always search in vintage parts, but sometimes you find that elusive part because it's listed in the wrong section, or mispelled, like DougnDog said....

HaHa ya no problem with misspelling for me ..........
Yes I agree on lots of the stuff would take years to find.Cool with ebay ya can find crap across the world you would otherwise never find or pay top dollar at a swap meet. Thing is to kinda makes swap meets obsolete.how many times have ya been at a swap meet offered a lower price and the dude says naaa.... can get way more than that on ebay.

HaHa ya no problem with misspelling for me ..........
Yes I agree on lots of the stuff would take years to find.Cool with ebay ya can find crap across the world you would otherwise never find or pay top dollar at a swap meet. Thing is to kinda makes swap meets obsolete.how many times have ya been at a swap meet offered a lower price and the dude says naaa.... can get way more than that on ebay.

Yeah, we've all heard that. I usually ask them why he doesn't sell it on ebay then. Generally when I sell something face to face, I'll take about 50-60% of what I know it will bring on ebay. Once you deduct the ebay and paypal fees, packing cost, it's about a wash at that discount.

Ebay search

Thanks Sam I am going to try it .... Ebay has turned into nothing more than a sissies swap meet....... your suggestion may help
Oldog

Latest posts

Back