Not a rat...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

So I just picked up a 49 f1. Not realy thinking of doing this one like a rat. Got the 50 f1 that's my rat. But back to the 49.... Planing on changing the front end to a 51... Hood, fenders, and grill. But wondering about keeping the flathead 6.??should I keep the drivetrain all stock or up Tate it? The truck is all complete. What's your guys thought?

Lots of variables involved.......
How does the engine/drive train work now?
What type of driving with it are you going to do.? Dailey-around town. Highway vs surface streets. You get the idea.
Nothing wrong with the 6 engine but your gearing is going to be an issue. Wasn't a whole lot of express ways in 1949...
Being how it is an open drive shaft with parallel rear springs you may want to just look at updating the rear end.
Torchie.

Drive it. You will figure out if you like it the way it is in short order. My 51 Plymouth is low mileage bone stock. Looks cool, but no thrills. One of these days...

Update to a more modern drivetrain. Parts will be easier to come by if something breaks out in the boonies. You can always leave everything else stock looking, and nobody will know the difference unless you open the hood. A later model Ford 300 I6 / 5 speed combo from a 90's F 150 should be fairly easy to find and put in.

Bama thats my way of thinking too put some thing in it you can run 2 or 300 miles a day on it if you want ,, and if it brakes down thats ok go by any parts house and they will most likely have it in stock ...

Latest posts

Back