pcv valve?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

If a pcv valve is hooked up on the wrong side can it effect the motor? I read some where... " On an original valve cover there is an oil baffle under the grommet, so you don't draw oil into the carburetor through the PCV valve". Do I need to make sure the pcv valve is on the side with the baffle?

Yes
pull the pcv valve out n look in the hole if u can see rockers wrong side if u see a plate (and not a dinner plate ha ha) then that's right :)

Jim

Then either will work :)
One is for pcv valve the other is for a hose that runs from valve cover to carb breather that has baffle in breather

Jim

What is the issue with the motor??

If a pcv valve is hooked up on the wrong side can it effect the motor? I read some where... " On an original valve cover there is an oil baffle under the grommet, so you don't draw oil into the carburetor through the PCV valve". Do I need to make sure the pcv valve is on the side with the baffle?

It should be baffled.... otherwise it sucks oil into the intake/carb....could result in smoke at high engine vacuum(like getting off the gas) ....is the idle rough? PCV might cause a slight vac drop but shouldn't be extreme....just curious as to what engine issues if any you have with it.....[S

Been running low oil pressure on an electric gauge. I just hooked up a mechanical gauge and it's already reading higher than the other one. I'm going to take it for a drive her in a minute. It's a 305... has a small poof of smoke every once in a while on start up but no knocking or smoke otherwise. I'm guessing I have some clearance issues.

The pcv thing... I had just read some info when browsing and was curious about it. I wasn't sure if a pcv valve could cause low oil pressure in any way. I do have some vacuum leakage but not horrible. The truck sounds and drives pretty good but the low oil pressure has been scaring me lately.

I replaced the oil pump with a standard pump but may try a high volume for now until I decide if I want to rebuild this engine or not.

I kind of bounced a round a bit there but hopefully that gives you some info.

That puff of smoke is probably

valve guide seals..... normally oil will seep past them and on start up it burns off what's gone into the cylinders.....low oil pressure could mean too much bearing clearances....just tired..how many miles did this engine have on it when you put her in?? A high pressure pump will help increase the pressure a bit, but isn't the cure all for worn bearings...... sounds like a freshing up might be in order....also....305's and 350's can run like 18 to 20lbs at idle hot....not sure what you consider low......

It "supposedly" had only like 9k miles on it... I call BS. I did put a new beefier cam in it and may not have done the break in well. I don't know. I'm about ready to sell it and start a new one. I've had my eye on this 29 Desoto for over a year now.

It could only be a few hundred to fix her up nicely (new bearings, turn/polish crank, etc.)... or it could be a grand to rebuild. I definetly don't want to put that kind of money in her if I'm selling her soon.

We'll see. Thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else let me know.

Thanks again.

pcv....P OSITIVE C RANKCASE V ENTILATION..(pcv)...it doesnt matter what side you put it on.it provides a negative seal on the rings and evacuates any vapors or blowby.it helps prevent any excess pressure build up also......typically youll havw a pcv on one side and a breather on the other.side does not matter though.

My personal opinion but I wouldnt take the time to tear into a 305 much less the money. Im not sure what exactly a 29 Desoto looks like but its gotta be way cooler than a 305. :D
It "supposedly" had only like 9k miles on it... I call BS. I did put a new beefier cam in it and may not have done the break in well. I don't know. I'm about ready to sell it and start a new one. I've had my eye on this 29 Desoto for over a year now.

It could only be a few hundred to fix her up nicely (new bearings, turn/polish crank, etc.)... or it could be a grand to rebuild. I definetly don't want to put that kind of money in her if I'm selling her soon.

We'll see. Thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else let me know.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back