Pistons

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFast1

OK I have the Crank (Howards 4 3/4 ) Rods (Callies comstar) Heads ProComp 23 degree going on a 406 chevy want around 9.5 to 10.0 and any one have a clue on camshaft 2200 lb rat. I can put any gear has a 9 inch in it???

We need some more info for suggesting a cam. Like, intake and carb, type of headers and/or exhaust, is this gonna be a cruiser, stoplite-to-stoplite demon, street/strip car.....[P[;):cool:

I would say stop light to stop light car, just something to play with on some friday and saturday nights when the wife and i can get out without our boys.

I'm thinking muncie 4 speed with a 7 1/4 tripple disk, but as hard as they are to find around here maybe a auto and big stall. also single plane and Bolaws carb. will probably go with a dyna tec stepped header.

Sounds like you need one of the nasty VooDoo cams, something about .525 lift and about .245-255 @ .050..... get a little more lift on your exhaust side. If they don't have have a split lift grind, run 1.6's on your exhaust. Personally, I'd run a street roller....but if funds are limited, go with a good solid and keep your valve adjustment up, like, once every 2 months if you run it on the weekends.
Your gonna be pushing it on piston to valve clearence with such a cam, but, you might get by without flycutting the pistons....[P[;):cool:
4-speed w/4.11's will serve you good....if you don't want to cruise but just run like the wind, then 4.29's or 4.33's in the 9 in. You'll be able to fine tune your street racing thing with diff. sizes of tires....

Last edited:
never played with a voodoo, but hear they really sound good. i run a old magnum 292, and have liked it, the magnum 270 and 280 are good cams too. heres alittle food for thought the oil that we have now is not that good for the flat tappet cams, you might look at some of the roller cams, they got some good hyd. roller grinds out there now.

Think i'll go with SRP by JE, how deep can i have the valve pockets flycut, the valves are 100 long with a hyd roller wouldn't they need to be 200 long??

With that combo you will probly need a small base circle cam to clear the rod bolts.

My thoughts exactly....when I set up a stroker, I use check EVERYTHING really carefully, especially the cam clearance and the oil pan rail clearance. Since I do the racing thing, I use a stroker mimic tool....you can do the same thing with a piece of welding rod.....just be sure it doesn't have any flux on it....[P[;):cool:

no problem checking things, i was going to have the guy that always built our dirt motors to stroker notch the block, waiting on new splayed main caps right now. i'm likeing the hyd roller deal now that i have thought about it, i may be able to get away with just a spring change.

Plus, just think...you'll be able to reuse your lifters!...Someone in my shop told me that Summit Racing had a good deal on street rollers.....Sweet....[P[;):cool:

Latest posts

Back