Spring rates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

Ok, so as i begin driving my new creation, i find the ride to be harsh... Im wondering what type of coil over spring rates you-s guys are using in your rat rod pick ups? Whats the way to scientificly figure it out? Without boggleing my brain? No i havent weighed the vehicle... Yet d/b

Attachments

• 40.5.jpg
    40.5.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 34
Yeah... coil overs can be harsh. Since I put in a BB in my truck I ordered the BB springs... OMG... gonna switch to the SB version. Had to do the same thing on my Nova. Haven't decided on the spring rate yet but I'm probably gonna go with 1/2 to start! No offense but... that truck sorta looks like a... ummm... rat rod!? :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

The spring rate on your rig should be no more than 90 to 100# each when using coil overs.
I use 130 to 150# springs on my pro street cars 2500# to 3250#
Springs are rated at 1" of compression and gain what ever they're rated at ever inch compressed 100# at 1" and 200# at 2" etc.
Shocks are the biggest culprit to having a harsh ride. In most cases the cheapest gas shock will give the best ride + the more angle you install it the better the ride too.
I agree with Tripper it does resemble a rat rod :)

Yeah, weighing it would be a great start. I don't mean weigh station scales either, but a four corner setup.
QA1's have variable rate springs. I'm interested in trying them out to see if i can get a softer ride but stiff in the hard corners.

But its my rat...

Got new qa-1's @250# on the rear now... (wadya want for a hundred bucks) i get very little travel and a harsh ride... Summit has a lighter variable ratio spring im thinking...
Thanks for the compliment... She is a rat!! But im happy, started as a chalk line and a carpenters square [;)

Yea I did a quick measurement on mine, hardly a technical measurement on some rear '12 mustang springs and they are about 200#/in... probably more than I need, however I'll be dealing with about a 500lb tank and the back half of the poncho over them... so we will see...

Got one on the front and on the rear... Maybe we'll drift a little... Been watching fast and furious 27 for pointers...

Latest posts

Back