The next "most iritating ad quote"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilD

"Ran when parked" was the topper in my book but may be over taken by the next most iritating quote. "Runs and drives" Yeah for 5-10 seconds! People will even tell you "Its been my daily" or "Ive been driving it around the property". Then you get there and all of a sudden the carb, fuel pump or ignition just stopped working. Why cant people just be frickin honest!

"Ran when parked" was the topper in my book but may be over taken by the next most iritating quote. "Runs and drives" Yeah for 5-10 seconds! People will even tell you "Its been my daily" or "Ive been driving it around the property". Then you get there and all of a sudden the carb, fuel pump or ignition just stopped working. Why cant people just be frickin honest!

I love that one too but seriously... they all ran when parked... not necessarily the last time though!!! :D:D:D

BoB

I also like "has 150,000 miles, but mostly highway miles." I understand the logic that cruising down the highway is maybe easier than stop and go, but 150,000 is still 150,000. :confused::D:D

Don

Yeah, isn't like ANY old car that is beatup not "ready for restoration??" :D:D Maybe some are still not "ready." They aren't decrepit enough yet. :p

Don

You guys are in for a treat, here are the lyrics from CW MCCalls " classified"

I was thumbin through the want ads in the shelby county tribune when this classified advertisement caught my eye. it said, take imme-di-ate delivery on this 57 chevrolet half-ton pickup truck
Will sell or swap for a hide-a-bed and thirty-five bucks. call one-four-oh, ring two, and ask for bob.

Well, I called bob up on the telephone, he says, hello, this is bob speakin. I says this here the bob got the pickup truck for sale? he says, yeah. I says, &
Where are ya? he says, fourteen east on county 12, turn right on the one-lane gravel road, you can park in the yard, beware of the dog, wipe your feet off, knock three times, and bring
Ur billfold.

Well, I tooled on east on county 12, turned right on the one-lane gravel road, and I parked in the yard and a german shepherd come out and grabbed onto my leg. then I knocked three times and wiped my
Feet, the dog let go and the screen door opened and bob come out and says whaddya want? I says, come to see your truck. he says, follow me. come on, frank. (dog's
Name is frank.)

Well, we all went past the chicken house, through the hog pen, down to the tractor shed, and then wound up in back of the barn in a field of cowpies. and settin right there in a pool of grease was a
Half-ton chevy pickup truck with a 1960 license plate, a bumper sticker says vote for d!ck and brillo box full of rusty parts, and bob says whaddya think? .

Well, I kicked the tires and I got in the seat and set on a petrified apple core and found a bunch of field mice livin in the glove compartment. he says, her shaft is bent and her rear end leaks
, you can fix her quick with an oily rag. use a nail as a starter; I lost the key. dont pay no mind to that whirrin sound. she use a little oil, but outside a that, shes cherry.

I says, whatll take? he says, whatve you got? I says, twenty-eight dollars and fifteen cents. he says, you got a deal. sign here, Ill go get the title and
A can full of gas. I put the nail in the slot and fired er up; she coughed and belched up a bunch a smoke and I backed her right through the hog pen into the yard.

Well, frank jumped in and bit my leg and I beat him off with a crowbar. he jumped on out and the door fell off and the left front tire went flat. I jacked it up and patched the tube and frank tore a
Piece of my shirt off. then bob come out and called him off and says you betterd get on out of here.

I went left on the one-lane gravel road, went fourteen west on county 12. took two full quarts of forty-weight oil just to get her to the conoco station. and I pulled up to the regular pump and
Harold sykes and his kid come out. he says, Ive seen better stuff at junkyards and whered you ever get that truck?

I says, thats a long story, harold. is thumbin through the want ads in the shelby county tribune when this classified advertisement caught my eye. it said, take imme-di-ate delivery on
This 57 chevrolet half-ton pickup truck. will sell or swap for a hide-a-bed and thirty-five bucks...

Last edited:
Haha, how well I know. Just yesterday I spent a couple hours getting the "runs great" 454 to even bark for a few seconds. After drying off the snow drift under the hood, replacing a set of completely fried points and filling the float bowls with a bottle, I managed to hear the completely blown out manifold gaskets beller for a few seconds.

I also like the "third original owner' (didn't count the unoriginal ones I guess)

Last edited:
I like the ones that start with.."Rare,"..blah, blah, blah. Only to read on and find it's a Chev or Ford something, that had umpteen million of them built.

I think "Ran when parked." is about the same as "Breathed until buried".:rolleyes: Sniper

Ah.. looking for a 1/2 ton truck, that song about hit it on the head. Needed a cheap hauler and every 'good drivetrain' or 'runs good' had broken springs, tied together body, fried electrical systems, and usually a shot drivetrain to boot. Every 'good work truck' had been broken in every way. I probably looked at 10 different trucks that the tranny wouldn't even move it or the motor blew clouds you couldn't even see through - and every one of them the bodys and frames had been completely broken.

Finally I found a 64 F250 flatbed in the classics section - bought it and loved it. Still miss that old hillbilly truck.

Now we all know the rest of the story.....you bring it home, it sits for some couple of months while you try to figure out which end really needs to be the start of the over haul.:p Then you find that the motor had been converted to metrics cause the ding-bat inbread who last built it, did it on the run just to get it off the side of the road and into the spot you last found it parked :D

Or you draining the motor honey out of the pan and find out that thre of the five main bearings are really in sad shape and you end up replacing the motor honey so you can drive it over to the parts house and pick up a new over haul kit for the buick 350 someone swapped out in lue of the Chevy 4-bolt that was robbed two weeks before you bought it:eek:

I still love the one it has been in the family since it was new, only thing is, there has been 15 or so drivers including grandma who was blind in one eye and hit every thing from the garage to the mail box before she was out on the road playing pin-ball ric-o-shay off the cars and trucks down the way.:)

Life is grand when you buy someone else's pile of nuts and bolts. You stand to inherit everyone elses grand memories from dayz gone by. Esspecially since the local shariff's yard was the last place this ride was before it ended up parked in someone else's field. lol.

My trucks all have some sort of fable along with half truths about its long gone miles from what ever time frame it once lived. Especially my old 38 IHC.

Maximo

I still love the one it has been in the family since it was new, only thing is, there has been 15 or so drivers including grandma who was blind in one eye and hit every thing from the garage to the mail box before she was out on the road playing pin-ball ric-o-shay off the cars and trucks down the way.

Lord Maximo, I'm still laughing at that one !!

I like this one, He said I would drive it any were and when I bought it and went to meet him it was on a trailer. Got it home and the drive shaft was about come out of it and the carbs leaked so bad it filled the cylinders with fuel but hey (I WOULD DRIVE IT ANY WERE).:confused:

One Owner, Low Miles, Little Ole Lady only drove it for grocerys and Church on Sundays. A little white paint on right side from garage door, will buff out.
Best offer over book takes it home.

Latest posts

Back