Transmission Oil on Headers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

My old F150 has been sitting for a while and the transmission has a little leak and the headers have a coating on them. I am a little worried about fire when I move it shortly. Am I being paranoid or is there a fire risk? Thanks. Jim

not sure you will have a fire, but you will have a lot of smoke. not like your dumping hot trans fluid on hot headers.

I personally haven't had tranny fluid or oil cause a fire. Not saying it couldn't happen.
How far are you going when ya move it?

I`d spend a can of brake cleaner on it. ( cold... :rolleyes: ) No smoke and no risk of fire. I don`t think it will start a fire... Leaking fresh oil on superhot headers may be a different story.

Thanks all. Brake cleaner. I was wondering what I could clean it of with. I am only moving in a couple hundred feet from the back yard to the front. I'm tired of working on it in dirt and rocks on plywood. Thanks again for the help. Jim

Unless you sit there idling or run laps around the house, I don't think your headers are gonna get that hot for that short move.:D Granted they will be the first thing to get hot up front but I don't think you need to worry.

Latest posts

Back