traverse leaf spring question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldblueoval

Can you use one leaf spring from a parallel leaf spring set up for a traverse spring if the eye to eye is correct by redrilling the center bolt hole so it is in the center of the spring pack and all leaves are centered?[;)

You probably could, but I don't think you'll have any luck drilling that spring. Spring steel is pretty tough stuff.

I guess so. A spring leaf doesn't know if it was meant to go in a parallel setup or traverse, so by drilling the hole in the middle it should work ok. I don't think that extra hole will weaken it in any way.

No, I think you will be ok. The only problem is, spring leaves are hard to drill. Use a good industrial quality drill bit on low speed with lots of oil and take your time. I had to drill 8 holes in 4 leaves one time to insert buttons into and I burned up a few drill bits doing it. :eek:

Don

Another thing to consider is the arc; is your donor leaf about the same as the original transverse set?
I get to learn how to pound some arc out of a parallel leaf, this winter, as I'm augmenting one parallel pack and leaving the other one stock. You should be OK if the springs are sorta close in arc. You don't have to match your new spring pack to any other one like I do with parallel springs.

We've rearched a couple of springs using our hydraulic press. We traced the shape on the garage floor then scribed one inch increments on the spring and put the exact same number of pumps on the jack in each spot on the spring so that we got a uniform bend to the spring leaf. They reshape pretty easily that way.

Don

Thanks everyone. I assumed it would work because the arc of the springs arch is constant and the reason parallel springs have shorter front sections is to help stop spring wrap under acceleration. Just wanted to draw on the wisdom bank, thanks.[;)

I use carbide masonry bits to drill the hardest metals.
I grind the tips so they have a sharper cutting edge. It's surprising how well they cut metal after sharpening them.

Latest posts

Back