Door Actuators

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couper

RRR Supportor
Thought I'd put this here instead of burying it in my build thread....if no good I can repost.

So as you may remember I installed the bear claws in my doors....they work fantastic. I bought some plastic door actuators that trip the bear claws very easily. Great.... until last few days.

I needed to install some door mechanisms so I can open the doors from inside so I bought these. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-4020443671P
The stocks were very worn, had lots of wobble and no return spring....you know whats coming, yes?

Well the return spring is too much for the actuator to pull. I think they only
produce 10 pounds of pull. Can I get something stronger? Hit the spring with some heat....maybe weaken it some. What to do?

I need a roll of gauze for all the cuts on my forearms.....arrrgg

So I went back out there and cut the spring.... it works fine now but the handle (vise grip) bounces. I was also using a 6 volt flashlight type battery that might have been low. I used a 12v car battery and it hits harder, If it would over come the spring I don't know.....but I cut it already. I can try the other with the spring. I'd rather have the spring if I can find a better actuator.

Is there a lever for inside release handle and for an outside release handle on the bear claw latch or is there only one release for both handles? If there are two levers for the release handles, you should be able to connect your actuator to the outside release handle and attach the inside handle you just got to the inside release handle.
If there is only one release lever, I have seen actuators that have 40lbs of pull, online, but they are not cheap.

The actuator will pull harder on a good 12 volt battery.

It is also possible that the vice grips are too heavy, rather then the spring on that inside opener.

That's a good point Gene... if there were two levers that would be ideal. I only have 1 lever. Don't know if I would have the room for two levers. I see some heavy duty actuators online. I was hoping someone here may have used a specific brand that I could order. Thanks for your idea's pal

Just seeing your reply snake....thanks for that but I got er done.

Gene...I've been thinking about your question about the 2 levers all week and finally got to it today.

The lever kicker was wide enough to accept 2 levers with a nice ss washer which I will replace with a nylon washer. I cut the lever pivot tab off, widened the slot and made a new tab and welded it up. I now have 2 levers. Good thought Gene!

Attachments

• DSCF6267.jpg
    DSCF6267.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6268.jpg
    DSCF6268.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6272.jpg
    DSCF6272.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back