Who builds outside?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though dad has a 70x70 shop, a lot of work is done in the driveway just outside the door. The light is better and you don't have to keep such a close eye on where the weld splatter went.

When it is really cold, we work inside.

I work in the dirt n rocks too ! I have a 24 x 27 pole building no floor ,too many cabs in the way i can't get to it even if I had too...lol..outside is good !![;)

I have no choice but to work in the dirt,well the grass that is.I got a small shop and its not big enough for my car to fit in.With my surplus of varies junk it wouldn't fit if I tried.It works out ok as long as its not 104 like it is here in SC right now.

I do some messy tasks outside but I keep most of the work in the shop. Years ago we did all of our work outside because we didn't have a large enough garage and I don't miss those days at all. Too humid here in South Florida for that.

i do right now, but i like working inside a lot more. also limits me a lot because it rains (a lot) where i live now, and my car's got some big holes in the body, so i've got to keep it at least partly covered if it's cloudy.

I work outside as much as I can. My car is inside now but I built the whole tub on my lawn a few years back.
roadsterprogress026.jpg

I've got a lean to on the side of my little shed. At least it's got a concrete floor. Can't get but half the buggy under the tin but, it's better than totally out it the sun and rain. I may have too many "treasures".:D

Attachments

• Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 50
Outside

Well I am in a small one car garage for now. But if all things work out I will be in a 24 by 46 garage by the end of next week. I wanted bigger but.... I have been working on this for a few months now and cant wait to get in. Oh and i have moved also bigger house and a little smaller yard that i have filled up with the garage. Adding a asphault driveway going to it. I figured i am going to do this one last time might as well do it the way i want and have it look nice also.

52 fordman

shop

I have a 30x40 Commercial Steel Building 200 feet from the house. We are on 2.5 acres on a dead end drive. No close neighbors and lots of quiet. At least until I get out in the shop.

i work in the driveway but its to the side of our house -- i can barely fit my tools and junk in the little garage --

we re looking for a house on a little land and a barn or separated garage type area is one of the things that will definately help the sell -- if not the soon wifey to be already said she would get a building out there as a gift from her...
she knows how to keep her man happy thats for sure (and in sight hah)

I have no choice but to work in the dirt,well the grass that is.I got a small shop and its not big enough for my car to fit in.With my surplus of varies junk it wouldn't fit if I tried.It works out ok as long as its not 104 like it is here in SC right now.
Thanks for reminding me....I need to get out there while my truck is in the shade.
Shade tree, a sheet of plywood and a piece of old carpet....why is it the sun is always in your eyes when your under your vehicle trying to get that hard to reach bolt out? :confused:

When we moved to Missouri I told my wife that all I really cared about in a house was having room for a shop. :)

She found a house that she HAD TO HAVE; I got a dirt floor SHED. :mad:

We’re land locked with no room to build anything, so I have to work on things out in the gravel drive.

Attachments

• 26 Dodge in Shed001.jpg
    26 Dodge in Shed001.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 61
  • House001.jpg
    House001.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 51
If I'm welding or grinding I try to do it outside if possible, I don't care for fires! My garage is under my bedrooms in the house. I'm thankful to have a garage because when I was 20 and newly married, I remember laying under a 65 GTO installing a new clutch and pressure plate in the pouring rain in the parking lot of the apartment I lived at. It was my daily driver so I had no choice but to work in the rain. I remember making a promise to myself that I would have a garage someday!!:D..CR

I remember that working in the rain and snow,not on my cars but on farm equipment broken down in the field.Not much choice when you have to get things running in a hurry. Now I try and do the grinding and other dity stuff outside the shop doors if the weather is reasonable.Would do the welding too,but the mig doesnt like the wind much.I am just realy carefull when welding, keeping things realy clean and work in an open empty area and never later in the day,just to be able to check that there is nothing smoldering.

When we moved to Missouri I told my wife that all I really cared about in a house was having room for a shop. :)

She found a house that she HAD TO HAVE; I got a dirt floor SHED. :mad:

We’re land locked with no room to build anything, so I have to work on things out in the gravel drive.

Hey sugarray, that does look a bit cramped,but I can see why your wife wanted that house,very nice place!Is there room for one of those temporary shelters? I have one that I use for extra storage,put in some plastic on the floor and laid down 1/2 " plywood as a floor.It keeps the moisture out from the ground and made quite nice and dry and cozy. Its not even that bad in the winter in there,with some warm clothes and a bit of sun one could work in those for a bit and be faily comfortable.

I have a small shop that works well for me but I enjoy working outside on the concrete pad. Light is better and I like being outside in the fresh air

http://yfrog.com/bgdoublebugeyesj
Must be a bit cooler in Galivants Ferry than it is here in Belvedere SC 'cause I was soaked with sweat yesterday installing a sliding rear window and new rubber seal in my truck.

Nice sports cars you got. What are they?

Hey I'll be passing threw your home town 7/19 heading to Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week. :cool:

Latest posts

Back