37 Ford Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

Hey guys, I started a build thread a long time ago, but I haven't added to it since last year so its scrapped. Here's the official one. Thanks to SleepyJake for motivating me to start it here. I have one on KillBilly, but other than DMW56 and Rusted&Busted I am not getting much support over there--plus 9 out of 10 cars on KillBillet are pieces of **** and I feel you are a better group of individuals that will better help me out with advice and what-not. Sorry KillBillit-ers if you have taken offense...

Okay, here we go:

Here's my stock cab

Chop_stage1007.jpg

Here are a few pics of the chop. I screwed up right off the bat with the wrong angled cut and it led to some headaches. See below:

Chop_stage1006.jpg

Chop_stage1008.jpg

Chop_stage1011.jpg

Since I am going for the raked windshield look, I left the top of the cab uncut. Here's a good idea of what it would become with its 6.5" chop

Chop_stage1013.jpg

I didn't brace anything, which screwed me (mistake number two) but it was too late to turn back so I got the the pillars to the height I wanted and tacked my doors.

misc006.jpg

misc007.jpg

misc008.jpg

To be clear right off the bat -- I went about raking the windshield all wrong. After I had done it I talked to someone who gave me such easy advice to do it I kicked myself in the ass for being a moron. Oh well, what was done was done.

To rake the windshield and doors back I made several relief cuts. Here are the pillars and doors

Chop_Feb0828.jpg

Chop_Feb0826.jpg

I split some welds with a screw driver to give more flex to the pillars

Chop_Feb0829.jpg

I cut across the cowl to lean the windshield back and tacked it in place with a piece of rod

Chop_Mar081.jpg

Chop_Mar083.jpg

Here is the tacked rake

Chop_Mar084.jpg

I filled everything in with the parts that I cut out plus additional sheet metal I had laying around. Notice the blow through; I used some really thin stuff I had in the garage, I recommend at least 16ga.

l_9218954cedd14c97e4f406df40a8d8d9.jpg

Because I didn't originally cut at the correct ange to start, I fabbed up some 'pillar covers' to cover the ugly underneath. The inside of the windhield and back side of pillar are all braced too

Picture131.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Picture135.jpg

Here is the rear deck on the floor. I laid the rails out to measure where my front Z will be

37Ford056.jpg

Here she is in mock up stage. 24" rear Z, 10" front Z

37Ford006.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some shots of my drivetrain. SBC/700R4

I accidentally got this color by spraying lime green, hating it, then spraying over it with Diesel Green. It made what I call '50's Green'

Picture073.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Check out the saw blade air cleaner I made

Picture074.jpg

I picked up this Aluminum Corvair Steering box and pitman arm for $150. I found someone who will reverse it for $75. I don't know if I can trust my life to me trying it myself quite yet. It doesn't seem to hard...

37Ford019.jpg

Last edited:
Here she is with the firewall cut out. I am sinking the motor in towards the cab a little bit (4 inches). I will save most of the original firewall when I get done, don't worry!!!!!!!

37Ford026.jpg

Last edited:
meat grinder

I love the shot of the truck with the meat grinder bolted to the bench. the work so far looks good, I think that year of cab is one of the best. keep up the good work.

Pablo

You recovered on that chop nicely. Just remember it's only metal! It can be welded back together.

Yes, I know how you feel about KB. Some of the stuff the guys are building are just down right unsafe and unsightly. The guys here will support and help you out without judging or flaming you.

Thanks for the words on a young fellow's first build.

Here's a horizontal pic of my 32 grill. I might go with another rusty Model A one I just got.

37Ford033.jpg

Last edited:
Diggin the build, seems you learned the hard way on the chop, but you got through it and it looks pretty good. Just think how easy the next one will be.
I really like the big wide slicks sitting right behind the cab. But that is the look that grabs me. Good recovery, keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back