37 Ford Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks bonehead. Unfortunately the slicks aren't gettin mounted. I just thought it would look cool to stick them back there.

I am going with 30" tall tire out back and 28" tall tire up front I think. That might change once I see it rolling though :D I love the way these slammed and chopped 30's-40's trucks look with tall skinny's up front.

Question for you... I noticed you posted you were from Kitsap County. Where at? Im here in Bremerton. Would be nice to meet some locals...... im in the process of my build also

chop

You said you got some advice on your chop top after i twas too late, what was it, would you section the roof if you were to try it agian. That looks like a lot of work to lean the post back. That was in my plan but after seeing how hard yours went i might section the roof, Im not sure i could piece it back together like you did. but it looks good keep posting man.

To be clear right off the bat -- I went about raking the windshield all wrong. After I had done it I talked to someone who gave me such easy advice to do it I kicked myself in the ass for being a moron. Oh well, what was done was done.

To rake the windshield and doors back I made several relief cuts. Here are the pillars and doors

Chop_Feb0828.jpg

Chop_Feb0826.jpg

I split some welds with a screw driver to give more flex to the pillars

Chop_Feb0829.jpg

I cut across the cowl to lean the windshield back and tacked it in place with a piece of rod

Chop_Mar081.jpg

Chop_Mar083.jpg

I really like how you laid the windshield posts back. I wish I would have leaned mine back.
Brian

Hooligan,
I just PM'd you dude. Yeah dude I need to meet some more people in the area. Hopefully the rat rod folks around here are better than the Mopar Nuts that keep on my balls for joining their car club. They are like Zombies wanting your brains.

52 Chevy Rat,
Apparently the way to do it is cut your roof a few inches back from the windshield and lean back and section your roof from there. The only problem I have with that is that I love my 9 inches of windshield and how nasty the chop looks and I couldn't realistically achieve that from the advice I received. So I guess the way I did it works, and I can't complain too much, except that I could have cut a little straighter LOL. You live you learn.

Boltbreaker Brian,
Thanks for the words man. It seemed like the only logical way to do it from someone who has no chop/body work experience standpoint. Its not to late, go back and rake!

sgo,
Thanks dude, the green is sweet but I noticed that its not fully covered so I am going to hit it with another coat that will darken it substantially.

-Tyson

I love the build too! Especially the "mail slot " back window. Sounds very involved to lean the winshield back like you did, but it was worth it. I remember helping a friend when we chopped the top on my 37 sedan. I kept repeating to myself," it's only metal it can be fixed"!!! A few times I thought I was going to end up with a convertable..LOL Hard work but worth it in the end. Truck looks great....CR

i have been thinking about a chop but i am still a little nervous but the way you did things and maby skrewed up but kept going and like you said its olny metal it can be welded and learned as you went that there is insperation on its own and thanks for the great pics they helped alot just piecing it together in my mind thanks a buch and the rod looks great by the way

I think it looks great. I bet if you knew how much worse work was bondoed over on famous showcars you would feel proud. I like the leanback. Only thing I would have done different is a little more back window. If you need any firewall pieces I have one and I think the very back lower section of the cab and the lower sides where the toeboard mounts to. I think I might still have a chunk of tin from the roof too but you are past that.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Even if you screw up, you still get experience you know. I suggest to anyone who's never chopped or done metal work to JUST DO IT. Learn as you work. It won't kill you if you mess up.

Willowbilly,
I still have the piece of my firewall that I cut out, what I really need is a vin brother!;)

24dodge, yeah its a custom Chevrolet Meat Grinder, you know... hahaha

Some updates:

I got another grill shell in case I decide I want to save my beautiful one for a future project

sep08049.jpg

Here's my Harwood 8 gal fuel cell out of a Pro Street Nova. It needs some cleaning and a coat of paint, but she will work perfectly for my truck. Thanks Uncle Kenny!

sep08050.jpg

Here is a pic of both Grills next to each other. I am still considering using the black and silver

sep08069.jpg

Also, my Speedway Model A brake pedal assembly. I have the Master Cylinder too. My GF bought it for my birthday, and made me the cake you see below too (her first job was a cake maker when she was 17--I thank God everyday she is skinny, because that could have been bad)

sep08051.jpg

sep08031.jpg

The mocked up rear suspension. I hope to get that all squared away in the next week or two. I will be using a 4 bar set up and coil-overs from a Jeep Wrangler that my uncle stashed away after he lifted his. I am going to have him finish weld the chassis for me. I don't have experience to fully do it and trust myself. I don't really lack the confidence, I am just being smart about it. Maybe I will fully do the next project, until then though I will leave it to his 20 years of experience.

sep08038.jpg

My Chrysler 8 3/4 Rear

sep08042.jpg

sep08036.jpg

sep08043.jpg

Here's the chassis layed out with the I beam and Harley Shovelhead shocks. Theres a guy running around in the Couer d'Alene, ID area that I got the idea from. He's running a small block in his 35 Ford Hi-Boy Rod Pick Up, and has had no issues with the springs not being able to handle the weight, so I am going to try that as well. I am definitely adding a Panhard bar though!

sep08052.jpg

sep08054.jpg

sep08059.jpg

sep08060.jpg

Last edited:
I also added some temporary crossmembers in the front, middle, and rear of the chassis, as well as drop my mock up block and the 700r4 in between the rails to line them up for the motor mounts and crossmember. The block and tranny are being held up by bricks the old school way.

sep082006.jpg

sep082012.jpg

sep082013.jpg

The black block is my (cracked in 4 places) mock up block. Its handy to have around. And to think I was going to toss a few months ago!

Since the chassis is tack welded, squared, and level now, I can get my Uncle to finish weld all of the 45's and I will make gussets. I figure that would be best before building bracketry for my front and rear suspension and mounts. After that driveshaft loops...

sep082022.jpg

sep082024.jpg

sep082001.jpg

sep082002.jpg

Latest posts

Back