1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

Do they make copper plumbing in one inch? A fitting might work for the horn adapter. I could insulate it with some UHMW.

Thanks guys.

Do they make copper plumbing in one inch? A fitting might work for the horn adapter. I could insulate it with some UHMW.

I think that they do. If not go for larger. Slice a piece out of it. Wrap it around a dowel of the right diameter and solder it.;)

Hey Torchie, how would you do a horn adapter with a washer?

I was thinking that you were talking about making a flat contact ring. Using a large bronze flat washer and may be milling down the thickness. You should be able to find*one with the inner hole close to the size of your steering shaft.
If indeed that is what you were refering to.[S[S
Torchie.

Hi Gold,
I used a donor truck steering column, [a Ranger] and it had a chunk of copper like a big washer already in there. In fact it was a three ring washer so I could use two of the rings, one for live and one for ground. I also used a piece out of the Ranger steering wheel that had three little spring loaded brushes that ran against the washer rings. I hooked this last piece onto my homemade steering wheel and was able to wire in a functioning horn. Maybe you have a newer steering column lying around, that you can rob.
Food for thought. Keep on tinkering.

I found what I was looking for. A 1 inch copper plumbing end cap. I cut the end off with the lathe and cut a tight fitting bushing out of UHMW. Pressed it onto the steering shaft. There is a lip on one side that I will drill a small hole through the copper and then a corosponding hole through the steering shaft. Then fish the horn wire through the steering shaft and solder it to the copper sleeve. Now I just need to build a brush and retainer to mount not he outside of the steering column tube. I used to do some crude wood carving. If I still have my tools, I might carve it out of UHMW.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 25
The UHMW easily fit into the copper until pressed onto the shaft. I allowed a 1.5 thou interference fit on the UHMW to shaft, that expanded the UHMW and locked on the copper sleeve.

Nice work! Indeed the cold puts the damper on working on things...
We got a little reprieve today thankfully, but we did get snow.

I hope you get some warmer weather soon, I'd like to see more on your truck!

Hey Merc, I picked up an old Craftsman lathe last year. It does not have a four jaw chuck or a milling head, but it solves some of those problems I run into. A few hundred bucks saves money in the long run on issues like the steering column. If I can build a part and buy the tool for the savings from not buying the part, I go that way.

Today I got to fix the furnace which chose to die on one of the coldest days of the year.

I head back out of town for the next week so progress remains really slow.

My air compressor needs work again. I forgot to shut it off and it fired up at night an burned off the belt.:( to cold for the pump to turn but the motor did. Hopefully I still have a motor.

"My air compressor needs work again. I forgot to shut it off and it fired up at night an burned off the belt.:( to cold for the pump to turn but the motor did. Hopefully I still have a motor."

That's just too darn cold folks.

"My air compressor needs work again. I forgot to shut it off and it fired up at night an burned off the belt.:( to cold for the pump to turn but the motor did. Hopefully I still have a motor."

That's just too darn cold folks.

Sounds like my garage gold. That's why I pull the plug on mine. I'm getting so I can't remember what switch position is the on position.:mad:
High of 5 here today. -14 for tonights low and maybe a high of 9 tomorrow.
I keep using the weather as an excuse not to be working on the truck............:confused:
Stay warm brother.
Torchie.

Alright, I'm back home and the weather is above freezing[cl

I repaired the compressor, and my wife's vehicle. Now I just have to figure out what the heck to do next on the truck. I think i'm going to continue with the steering column build. I want it all done or at least mocked up so I can build some exhaust. I'm still looking at the flathead laker header kit from Speedway.

I'm looking for a set of big V-twin bike chrome mufflers to run the cut outs through down along the side of the cab under the door. Still in the thinking stage on that one. I can't imagine a flathead would require much more breathing than a 1700 cc V-twin.[S

The concern I would have in using the laker kit from Speedway is weather or not they will wide enough to clear your cab sides. If that is indeed what you are looking for. Most of these kits are designed to be used in a car such as a Model A or perhaps a T-bucket style where the cowl area is much narrower. As well as a narrower frame.
I would consider buying a set of flanges. Get some exhaust tubing, including some pre-bent angles and go at it.
Or if there is a muffler shop near you see if they have a tubing bender and are willing to work with you. Most places that bend are not that expensive and I have found that some time they get excited just to do something different then their everyday stuff.
I find that buying a Kit and then having to modify every part of the kit is just an act of frustration. At least to me. And with your level of ability gold I would think that building your own headers is difinately something you can do.
Just my 2 cents....
Torchie.

Thanks for the FYI. I looked it over and I think I can make it work. The front tube will be pretty short to make the able as acute as I need it. I might need to put a pipe stretcher not he rear tube though. Speedway does not say how long the primary tubes are.

I have a buddy with a exhaust bender, but he is an hour away.

Latest posts

Back