1954 GMC Panel Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White paint.

Brady, I just couldn't tell by the photo. Most panels came painted black inside....absorbed light like a "black hole"! Smart move to go with white. I think you'll be glad you did. AND...it all looks awesome!.[dr[dr

(....couple of brightly colored Indian blankets on the walls?......sorry....just me! (Minding my own business now.):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lynn:D

Hope the tooth thing gets better and you get back on the panel soon. Gotta ask though......is your Dad a dentist :confused: or did he just pull your tooth as punishment for being a rotten kid in the past [ddd :D

@Shakey, yes I wanna get my bench seat redone from the ground up with a dark brown or black spanish grain style leather and then the girl and I would like to cover it with a mexican style blanket...

@Snake, lol, yes my dad is a dentist. He's been retired for quite some time but takes care of the family from time to time [P

Off to San Diego!!

My Bad Motor Scooter!

Ok guys...this is what I'm working with...235ci straight 6. I love the old stovebolt 6 :D I had to repair a couple wires with the help of my dad but I was able to string it all back together...bought a new battery from Walmart and it fit in the batt box perfectly.

I poured some gas in the carb and it fired right up!!! I'm using a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt battery...it turns over QUICK!

Also I'm running all the original gauges in the cluster...anyone have a pic or can show me a quick photo of how the fuel gauge with the voltage reducer is supposed to go together...I'm more visual than verbal or written instructions lol.

The voltage gauge would be nice too! Stay tuned for more...[;)

Attachments

• Lets get this motor running! (2).jpg
    Lets get this motor running! (2).jpg
    132 KB · Views: 37
  • Lets get this motor running! (3).jpg
    Lets get this motor running! (3).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Lets get this motor running! (4).jpg
    Lets get this motor running! (4).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Lets get this motor running! (5).jpg
    Lets get this motor running! (5).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Lets get this motor running! (1).jpg
    Lets get this motor running! (1).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 31
dentist update!

By the way guys...my wisdom tooth is out and I'm almost all healed up...mouth is still a bit sensitive but no more liquid diets! I gotta a post of the old pearly white I'll post later lol.

Brady, have you run the numbers on your engine? It may not be a 235 but, could be a 236, 248 or 270.

GMC also developed an OHV/pushrod engine in 1939. The 236-cubic-inch (3.9 L) 236 was the first, lasting through 1955. This is a low-deck engine. The bore was 3-5/8" (3.625") with a 3-13/16" (3.8125") stroke. The connecting rod length was 7.000"

Those same years (1939–1955), GMC produced a 248-cubic-inch (4.1 L) engine, the 248, which was similar to the 236. This is the largest low-deck engine. The bore was 3-23/32" (3.71875") with a 3-13/16" (3.8125") stroke. The connecting rod length was 7.000".

The last GMC-only straight six was the 270-cubic-inch (4.4 L) 270. It was produced from 1941 through 1962, and was an OHV/pushrod engine. This is a raised-deck engine. The bore was 3-25/32" (3.78125") with a 4" stroke. The connecting rod length was 7.000".

Jim

Old Iron, you got me second guessing! Now I feel the sudden urge to have to know what size my engine is! I will try and find the serial numbers and cross reference them on the net which I will do tomorrow!! Where on the engine are they located?

"GMC inline motors have a serial number located on a machined pad just back of the distributor. The first three numbers in the engine serial number are always the size of the motor. This makes identifying a GMC inline motor pretty easy if you can get a look at that number."

Jim

Issues

Brady. I think the wiring issues you have aren't affected by the size of your engine. Am I right, Old Iron? They all wire the same...or am I missing something?[S

Lynn

From what I read Shakey he's needing the way the 12volt to 6volt voltage reducers are to be put in the original electrical wiring so he can run the original 6volt gauges.
I've never used the voltage reducers so am no help except that the amp meter doesn't require a reduce (could be wrong here so corrections please) all the other gauges do require the reducer.

You are correct shakey, the size of engine doesn't matter.
Brady said his engine was a 235 and I was only letting him know that the GMC trucks didn't use the Chevy 235 sometimes. His engine appears not to be a Chevy from the look of the valve cover and the lifter cover.

Jim

From what I read Shakey he's needing the way the 12volt to 6volt voltage reducers are to be put in the original electrical wiring so he can run the original 6volt gauges.
I've never used the voltage reducers so am no help except that the amp meter doesn't require a reduce (could be wrong here so corrections please) all the other gauges do require the reducer.

You are correct shakey, the size of engine doesn't matter.
Brady said his engine was a 235 and I was only letting him know that the GMC trucks didn't use the Chevy 235 sometimes. His engine appears not to be a Chevy from the look of the valve cover and the lifter cover.

Jim

I think you are right, Jim...the amp meter doesn't need a reducer.
Brady, just determine which wire going to a particular guage is hot and put a reducer in the line. You are reducing the voltage from 12 down to 6 for that guage. I've used them often. They last forever and they're cheap...bout 6 bucks. The reducer has 2 posts; Cut the wire, put a terminal on both ends and attach them to the 2 posts on the reducer....doesn't matter which one. Viola!...6 volt guage.
Questions?

Lynn

54 GMC Will Go On!

Hey guys! Sorry it's been awhile...school has started back up and I'm taking 18 units so I'm real limited with my time but my heart is still dedicated to the truck! Good news is I've pretty much sorted out all the electrical and the only thing I need to replace is the fuel gauge...turns out the one that was in the truck didn't work and not only did it not work, the gauge was for a Triumph TR-4 and said Smith Motor Accessories on it! ha lol. Since I'm on a budget I've looked into replacing it with a 2" equus fuel gauge for about $25? Any thoughts or comments on that or suggestions for alternatives?

This week is going to be a long week too, Thursday after school I'm leaving with my family and were going to Breckenridge Mountain in Bakersfield, CA. My dad has an old family cabin up there from the 20s/30s and we will be having a memorial for my grandma...my dad's mother.

Have a great week gentlemen, don't give up on Project 54 and I won't either and stay tuned for more pics! I want to start piecing all the quarter panels together and me and the girl are close to getting our white wall tires mounted up! :D[P[P[P

Have some good R&R, Brady.

A fuel guage measures resistance to ground. Make sure you have the sending unit well grounded. You may not have to replace it...just sayin'.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back