1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should've put a turbo on it. ;)

There is still time...[cl
for about $2800 in parts and materials I can give DJ3100 the recipe for a 600 HP 5.3L....:D

Attachments

• 100_2102.jpg
    100_2102.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 31
Started today with this.

underpaint006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spent 3 hours with one of these, a flap wheel and the 2" die grinder. These wheels do an amazing job of stripping rust (not that anyone here is interested in that). They are $5 at HF.

underpaint011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After another hour with paint prep, I ended up with this.

underpaint008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But just from the wheel wells forward. I probably have another couple hours with the grinders before I can shoot the rest. Feels like progress!

underpaint010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I finally figured out how much easier it is to use red primer than black. I can actually see where I've painted and when it comes time for the seam sealer, I'll be able to see where to put it. This is Zero Rust and it works as a top coat - keeps moisture away from the metal- or it can be painted over.
I was planning on top coating with bed liner, but I may just leave it red.

That's definitely progress. Great looking job.

Thanks, it did lay down (up) pretty well, especially since I had to use an old siphon gun (I have a pressure pot, but it takes about a quart of paint to clean it out) and it was impossible to get the gun 90 degrees to the panels.

I might have to wait a couple days before I can hold the grinders up long enough to clean off the rest.

The rest of the under side got coated. Now I need to make these corner pieces. I started one last summer, but it didn't look like it was going to work. I haven't come up with any brilliant ideas since. Any help would be appreciated.

rearcorner002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This one shows the shape a little better. The vertical is an S curve. The intersection is a tapered radius (also an S curve), about 1/2" on the outside to 1 1/2" on the inside.

rearcorner001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I made a pattern using packing tape run in 2 directions

rearcorner003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Which gives an idea of the shape. I was hoping it would also provide a brilliant idea ... bit it didn't.

rearcorner005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice job on the bottom. I have used those wheels to strip off paint as well.
I hear you on holding up the grinding wheel. Tough on the hands and shoulders.:eek:
You may have to resort to some good old fashioned panel beating to make that corner piece that you showed. Hammer and a sand bag may work for you.[P
Torchie.

Thanks Torchie,

I have spent a few hours on one of these patches with a mallet and shot bag and a few other tools without getting close. My next plan is to try the Sam Fear method of panel forming - make little pieces and weld them together. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm thinking 2 pieces should do the trick and save on the swearing a little. Nice work on the underside. [P

Rear corner

I started by making a pattern of the contour.

rearcorner001-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Used the pattern to cut a hammer form profile.

rearcorner003-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Used the contour gauge eyeball the shape. A 2" sanding disc in the die grinder and a file removed the material.

rearcorner004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rearcorner005-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guessed at the blank shape and hammered like this.

rearcorner009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the first 2 attempts. Cut it too short and had to weld on the cut off piece - twice. Adjusted the shape of the hammer form each time.

rearcorner007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rearcorner006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here one side finished. Actually, not finished I still need to make the lower lip. I didn't get pics of the cut or the piece that I welded to the hammer-formed piece. It fills in the rust hole and tapers down to about an inch on the outside. I wish my welds looked as good as Cornfield customs.

rearcorner0032.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The lead was a real pain to cut - it loaded up the cut-off wheel and the saw blade. I had to melt it out before I could weld. So I melted the lead out on the other side first. Turned out the Bondo burned really well and I didn't have to sand it out. This side is even more rusted out than the first side.

rearcorner008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's using the old knoggin. Nice job.
That method of eyeballing then splicing a time or two falls right into my mode of operation. How thick was your metal you used?

That Cornfield guy has a way of making a lot of us envious. It just takes more finishing/grinder work for me.
Stay in there!

Nice job on the patch pieces.[cl [cl :D
As I have stated before one of the best metal shaper I ever worked with did 90% of his work just like you did it. And he gas welded everything as well.
Ahh. The good old days........[ddd
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back