1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear bumper

Ok, OK it's been a while. I have been goofing off.

I have been watching CL for a rear bumper since I got this project - haven't seen one. Found one on Ebay - $40. Of course it was in Virginia so shipping was $114. Still I was expecting to have to pay $300 +-.

Got it yesterday. It has the exhaust in the bumper - way cool.

15110ex001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very straight with one little ding - no big deal.

15110ex002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Somehow I had pictured the exhaust holes in line with the inside of the frame. I got the bumper brackets with the car. They are obviously different from the ones needed for this bumper (the brackets go right through the center of the holes)

15110ex006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mounted it without the outer bracket. I'd sure like to see how the factory did this exhaust. It needs an S turn to duck under the frame at just the spot.

15110ex008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Exhaust

I needed to do some adjusting to the headers to accommodate the X pipes. The outlets of the headers need to be parallel in order to remove the X pipe or the headers. A couple angle cuts got it there. The O2 sensors were in the reducer, but there just wasn't enough room to install them so they got moved to the headers.

15110ex005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fuzzy pic, but here's next section.

15110ex003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Somehow this exhaust is being harder than the headers. I have redone all of it at least twice.

I ordered the drive shaft on Dec 29 and got it on Dec 30. I guess they didn't have a lot to do over the holidays.

PCM tray

I have been following JFG455's build and learned there was a tray or bracket to mount the PCM. Hadn't thought about how to mount it. Following his lead I got this. Don't have the GM discount so I had to pay the $21.

11015exh001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Exhaust hangers

I had to look pretty hard to find these - CarQuest had them. I removed the 3/8 round out like the one on the left.

exhaust112001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Used riv nuts and 3/8 bolts to hold them to the frame. A 3/8 bolt replaces the 3/8 round. Yup, the brackets have lightening holes (if I had a CNC plasma cutter I'd do lightening or a flying ram skull).

exhaust112009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This where I'm going to leave the exhaust for now. I ordered NOS through-the-bumper exhaust tips from the guy I got the bumper from. I'm going to strip the frame tomorrow and put it on the rotisserie. I'll finish the exhaust when I get it back together.

exhaust112010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Exhaust looks great, what brand are those mufflers? Love those bumpers with the exhaust outlets, I remember my brother had fun routing the pipes to them on his 56 Crown Vic, being a Canadian model, it is the rare one with the Meteor lettering stamped in the center.

Exhaust looks great, what brand are those mufflers? Love those bumpers with the exhaust outlets, I remember my brother had fun routing the pipes to them on his 56 Crown Vic, being a Canadian model, it is the rare one with the Meteor lettering stamped in the center.

Thanks everyone.

The mufflers are Hushpower 2's. I think Flowmaster bought Hushpower several years ago. I liked the way they sounded on You tube. I can see a real challenge coming with the exhaust routing. After I ordered the NOS tips I got to thinking they won't be nearly as big a diameter as the rest of the system.

I appreciate that you take the time to photograph and post a lot of build details. You are a very meticulous craftsman. Great job!

Thanks everyone.

The mufflers are Hushpower 2's. I think Flowmaster bought Hushpower several years ago. I liked the way they sounded on You tube. I can see a real challenge coming with the exhaust routing. After I ordered the NOS tips I got to thinking they won't be nearly as big a diameter as the rest of the system.

Might make an even better sounding exhaust note as it constricts and speeds up coming out.

Looking good!

On a side note there is a ranch wagon for sale on the local CL up here. Big rust holes in the floor, pin holes in the wheel lips etc. but running and driving with an updated 5 spd. All foor the low cost of $13.5K :eek:

Reasons to post a build thread

Thanks Bob.

I have found that it really helps to photograph and post the build. Like others say, it keeps me motivated. It provides permanent (I hope) documentation of what was done. I don't plan on selling it, but if I ever do the buyer will have all the answers - good or bad nothing is hidden.

Most importantly it helps me remember where I am and what I did on the project. Too many details to keep straight.

The feedback is extremely helpful. Folks have solutions to the problems, tell me when I'm going in the wrong direction ( I hope), ideas and experience.

I often need to see how someone else solves a particular problem, so I spend a lot of time looking at other builds. The whole community needs to contribute for anyone to benefit.

Of course the pats on the back are great, too.

Frame rotisserie

Got the frame stripped down this morning. Left the front wheels, so I could roll it out with a floor jack in the rear.

rotisserie001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just as it was ready to go outside - rain.

rotisserie004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

An hour later it was done. This is the fourth frame I have done on these converted engine stands. I spent a while working on the attachments - each frame requires something different.

rotisserie005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back in the shop and upside down.

rotisserie009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The cross member has some issues.

rotisserie012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rotisserie017.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I tacked these templates in while the headers were still in so I would be confident in the location of the holes.

rotisserie002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I decided to weld everything I could.

rotisserie014.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rotisserie015.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rotisserie016.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back