1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint racks

I got a bunch of these display racks (in my world displays look like flat screen TV's). I welded on wheels and some arms to hold stuff. They have a face plate that is removable and set screws to hold the stuff at any height. Pretty handy and they were free.

Today was a good day to paint - no breeze and 70 + degrees. This stuff is now black. It was nice to be able to turn the parts into the sun so I could see all the holidays.

paintrack001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am trying to figure out how to do that. The inside of the frame was pretty full of dirt. I scraped and vacuumed out what I could. I won't be able to get all the dirt or any loose rust off the inside so any kind of rust converter won't do much.

Any suggestions?

Stand the frame up right with your fork lift and rattle it with a flat air hammer bit. Move from the top down letting all the crap fall out the bottom. You can pick up a pellet stove brush or a dryer pipe brush. They are 3" diameter and can reach about 8" into the frame if you have an opening you can put it through. As far as rust treating look in graingers for a paint wand. they can go in a 3/8" hole and reach about 2' or so. Or seal up the rails and pour the stuff in while turning the frame this way and that. All of the above is a PITA but is the only way to do it unless there is a place near you that can acid dip the frame and submerse it to coat it afterwards.

Frame is blasted

Got the frame blasted today. American Dry Ice does media and soda as well as dry ice. Any how, miscommunication. His dry ice blasting doesn't do rust very well. I spent 2 hours cleaning this up.

frame119001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have to admit I had forgotten to act on getting the inside of the frame cleaned out. If hansgoudzwaard hadn't asked the question I probably wouldn't have the frame in this position.

frame119002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I blew it out with the air hose and leaf blower. (John I don't think I have ever seen a stove pipe brush around here.) I figured out why I didn't have a front seat - it was all inside the frame.

frame119007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, the air didn't work so, swamp time. Flushed it out with the garden hose. After almost half an hour, I'm pretty sure I got the dirt and pack rat nests out.

frame119010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The blasting uncovered some problem welds. They were filled with dirt or slag. These 2 are the cross member. The second one is cracked more than it looks in the photo.

frame119009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

frame119008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I get email prompts about these products to my inbox. I have never used it.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html?reltype=2&parent_id=25961

Just a suggestion; you might cut out small access holes on the inside face of your frame rails with a plasma cutter, for access. Or a holesaw, and smooth the edges?

I have seen that, but like you haven't used it. I'm going to the local auto paint store tomorrow, I think I have seen something similar there.

There are a lot of holes in the frame and the ends are open. It should be pretty easy to coat it if I can find something.

From the "for what it's worth file."
I have used cheap canister garden sprayers with the long nozzle to spray rust inhibitor inside of frames. Got the idea from when i used to work at a dealership back in the 70's. We had a setup like this for undercoating that attached to the air compressor.
Torchie.

From the "for what it's worth file."
I have used cheap canister garden sprayers with the long nozzle to spray rust inhibitor inside of frames. Got the idea from when i used to work at a dealership back in the 70's. We had a setup like this for undercoating that attached to the air compressor.
Torchie.

Any idea what kind of rust inhibitor to use?

Exhaust tips

Got the through the bumper exhaust tips today. There are some repops available, but these are way cooler. He threw in the correct bumper brackets.

001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Even got the original box for the deflectors.

002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

be careful what you use....

Any idea what kind of rust inhibitor to use?

Stay away from anything with silicone or silicone based product in it....check the labels real close......good luck man...looks like you're doing her right....[cl [P

paint on the frame

Coated the frame in red oxide yesterday. Shot the black today, but ran out of paint. Headed to the paint store for another quart - they were out. So I'm waiting around while they go get it and call me.

framepaint004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These are the last of the suspension parts to get painted.

framepaint008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Took the headers to get hot coated last week. They were supposed to be done yesterday. Called him 4 times - got voice mail. Left message - no response. PANIC! Went down there this morning; they were ready. Look good. $200 Good to 2000 degrees.

framepaint001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Coating the inside of the frame.

I get email prompts about these products to my inbox. I have never used it.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html?reltype=2&parent_id=25961

Just a suggestion; you might cut out small access holes on the inside face of your frame rails with a plasma cutter, for access. Or a holesaw, and smooth the edges?

The general opinions are that in Arizona, given it's expected future use, coating the inside of the frame isn't something that needs to be done. However, I ordered 4 cans of the Eastwood stuff. Not sure if it will have any long term benefit, but it can't hurt (I hope).

All the stuff looks really killer....

Gee...sunshine....ain't that grand...I think that coating the inside of the frame is a good idea....but that's JMHO....:D

Gee...sunshine....ain't that grand...
Yup, winter is over here. :) I turned the heat off in the house last week, and I know people that never turned it on this winter. Heck, I'm running the AC at work.

DJ, I think you should coat the inside of the frame just to slow you down some, if nothing else. You're moving so fast, you're making the rest of us look bad.

Yup, winter is over here. :) I turned the heat off in the house last week, and I know people that never turned it on this winter. Heck, I'm running the AC at work.

DJ, I think you should coat the inside of the frame just to slow you down some, if nothing else. You're moving so fast, you're making the rest of us look bad.

Got the paint last night; went out to finish painting the frame this morning. We have winter again. Windy, looks like it's snowing in the back yard from all the leaves (I guess that's supposed to be fall). Only 56 degrees at 10:00. I am abandoning hope of getting to paint today.

This was one of the comments from the reviews. Good advice about the mig wire?

I hadn't seen that review. The mig wire inside the hose makes sense, I'll give it a try. It seems like everyone thought it was a good product in application and most had some reservations about how long it would actually protect the surface.

Supposed to get mine next week.

It was windy all day yesterday and the temp stayed in the 50's. Hopefully today will be less windy and a little warmer so I can finish paint the frame.

Frame reassembly

Finished painting the frame Friday and started reassembly yesterday and today. I need a gasket for the third member and then it can go together.

framepainted125008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

framepainted125009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Engine is in, but I need to pull the trans and install the clutch.

framepainted125013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back