31 Chevy Sedan rat candidate worth?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31ChevySedan

Greets all. New to ratting and this forum.
I've been considering my first rat rod project, and have the opportunity to buy a local 31 Chevy 4-door 7-window sedan, don't know the model. It has a seemingly rare 4-door configuration with aft hinges on the two rear doors for a suicide door arrangement. It is more or less complete. Motor is in bad condition, with pitted cyl walls. Radiator with chrome shell and chrome headlights are present. Undercarriage seems heavily rusted (newbie here). Body seems good, with almost no paint but virtually no rust as well. Louvered engine shroud is rust free. It sits on original wire spoked wheels with some spares stored inside. Interior is rough. All original glass is present. Door mechanisims seem complete. Motivated seller with initial price discussions starting at $1200. Located only 2 blocks from my shop :p

Question is: what is it worth? All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 31chevy 001.jpg
    31chevy 001.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 31chevy 002.jpg
    31chevy 002.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 31chevy 003.jpg
    31chevy 003.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 31chevy 004.jpg
    31chevy 004.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 31chevy 005.jpg
    31chevy 005.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 34
You don't see many still that intact. The whole car is basically a wooden framework with tin nailed to it so they usually have decomposed, that's why you don't see many of them. So look it over closely, decide what direction the build would take, how much of the car you would actually use and if ir is worth it. If you just end up using the tub and the grill you might be better off to start with something like a Ford model A. You could get a 4 door A in the same basic shape for about that money, maybe less. Then when you need a fender or body part you can find it.

I live in South/Western Ontario Canada, and a piece like that for $1200 is a major deal. I would bail on the fenders and frame and sell the to a restorer for probly half of your total investment. Build your own frame and drop in a small block. I say don't hesitate, grabe it...........before I find it. :D

WB 3 is right, the problem with Chevies of this era is that they are all wood and only a thin skin of metal is nailed onto it, so when the wood rots away the rest is a floppy tin can.

While $1200 sure isn't a lot of money in today's old car market you will have to realize going in that you will be replacing the ENTIRE inner structure with steel tubing. My Son originally built his car as a Fordor Ford, which is constructed like your Chevy, and he had to replace the complete interior with tubing as I described. He said he would never do one again.................and he LOVES to fabricate stuff.:eek::D

But, if you feel you are up to the task and like welding (alot :D) go for it. The other problem is that with a Chevy you really won't score many more usable parts as you would with a Ford of similar age. The frame possibly could be used, but you have those twin front springs to contend with, which are not the most popular way to go. The single spring Ford front end is by far more adaptable.

Just want you to have all the facts going in. :)

Don

Thanks for the advice.
I'd read about the wood interior, and planned to replace it with tubing and build a frame, but alot of the remaining stuff would be of no immediate use to me. While I know some fabricators, I've done none myslef. My welding skills are limited to a VoTec class I took where we did mainly MIG and OxE Gas. Needless to say, I am chomping at the bit to do some welding, but we all know what kind of trouble that urge could lead to. You can see why, with my evolving skills-set, I'm drawn to doing a rat rod as my first project. It appealed to me that I could hone my skills on a more sacrificial hulk like the Chevy, rather than butcher some more popular Ford that could be done right.

Don't the ever-so-popular 32 Fords contain a similar amount of structural wood? Is it becasue they don't that they are so popular?

Any speculation on what a similar Chevy body (without whole car), in similar condition, might cost?

It seems to me that, with the rat rod in mind, I wouldn't be too concerned with available Chevy parts, since I don't ever plan on actually restoring the car. I'm looking to do a driveable flamer. I prefer parts like KLIM cans and mailbox intakes to original equipment...at least in a rat project.

Thanks for your time.

Ron

Ahhhh, the KLIM can...for the truely vintage rat rod.

As I understand it, in WWI the American POWS recieved Red Cross care packages that contained cans of a product marked KLIM, wich was MILK spelled backwards. I guess it was a milk imitation that they cherished.

The original rat rods often used KLIM cans as oil filter or air filter housings.

My wife worked with a guy that had a 30' Chevy Coupe, all original in running condition for $5K. My friends talked me out of it due to the amount of wood that would have to be replaced. Plus I am not a fan of the parallel leaf springs on the front.

Welcome to the board 31! Pros: the Chevy has a much stronger frame than Fords of the same year. A later Chevy six would drop in very easily. (with the heavenly sound) The parallel leaf springs in the front and back require little more engineering than mounting under the axles if you want to go low,but why follow the crowd? I believe later brakes will fit for upgrade. Wire the doors shut while you replace the wood with steel as you can :) The body looks perfect the way it is to me,and 4 doors on a rat sedan just add to the uniqness :) So, does this thing have a title? $1200 worth of fun,you betcha'

Last edited:
I don't know about the title status, I'll find out. I see alot of discussion within the forum about titles, but I am not up to speed yet as to the various ramifications of having one or not. This has been 'Dads' car for decades, so I'm guessing it has one.

Can anyone recommend a source for information on an appropriate frame design? I'd like to see what's involved in that.

It seems the general consensus so far is that it is worth $1200. I will probably decide if I'm interested in it within a few days. If I pass, I'll post the contact information for anyone that might want it. It is located near Seattle, WA.

I know it's probably a no-brainer, but I have very limited funds at the time. More importantly, my fabricator pal is doing a 32 Ford Coupe, and has a frame jig already, so I do have some motivation to go that way. Hhuummmm, decisions, decisions....

Does anyone here have any examples of the 31 Chevy 4-door 7 window Sedan that has been hot rodded?

I have found NONE.

Thanks

You really don't need to see a Chev like yours to get frame ideas. Any of the Model A sedans here are very similar in size and design. I'll bet there are at least 50 here that you could get all the ideas you need to do yours. You could also start by taking general frame dimensions from your original chassie such as wheel base frame width at the cowel, front horns. B pillar and rear. Another good idea that myself and others have used is to build a mock up chassie with 2x4's. That way you can lay out exactly where you want everything and get an idea in full scale how it will look before you start cutting steel.

Latest posts

Back