47 chevy for $250

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufslouis

Hey guys, I think I just found my first rat. It's a 1947 chevy fleetline, 4 door. The shop it's at said they were just going to have it scrapped so they offered it up for $250.

Some serious rust all around. A little paint left on the body. No rust on the floors but a bunch on the door sills. The suspension looks fine and there is a motor etc... obviously not running. Also, interior is pretty stripped down. No front seat/ stearing wheel etc... There is a back seat and dash is in tact.

No title but it is easy to get one from the court of common plea's in PA.

Wondering what you guys think in terms of price/ do-ability?

we need pics! Price is cheap enough, but i bet you could talk them down. Theres no way that car would bring that much in scrap right now. And if they did scrap it, they would still have to get it hauled away. So offer them a little less, haul it away yourself. You'de be doing them a favor.

I know, I didn't score any pics. If I can get it past my wife I may offer them $100 for it. I have never built a car that was this crappy before. I am a bit nervous about the viability of getting it up and running.

I hope to be reading soon that you scored it, for less than $250 if possible. I believe any old iron has to be worth that. Any ideas as to how you want to go on it ? 6 cyl, 8 cyl, colour, ... ??

It $250, quit jewing him down and just buy it, its worth $250, he giving you a deal, the scarp yard will properly pay $250 just to scarp it

I paid 500$ for mine in about the same condition - check the link in my sig. I got a steal of a deal for around here.

I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and perhaps pick it up. It is a rally good deal. I am just wondering how to get it into the garage with flt tires and no steering wheel. I hope the flatbed can just lower it in there.

I think that since this is my first build of this scope I was going to work my way throught the process. I drive a 300 hp wrx right now and really love the 0-60 in 5 seconds flat so I know I'm going to go with an 8. For style I was thinking flat black, lowered, mabye some custom grille work. Once it's in my hands I'll start getting more into it. I welcome any idea's/pics.

Buy it and worry about the rest after that! Mine is Yard Art until spring at the earliest (my F100 is #1 project for now), but I can see it from my window and plan and search for ideas and parts. It may just be sitting there untouched, but the project is still moving forward.

UFSlouis, Positive: That big body is a good candidate for a later six, good brakes and just pokin' around town and to the shows. Negative: That big body with it's weight and aerodynamics will require a truckload of money to make it go as fast as ( in a straight line) a slow roadster. I suggest if you want fast, get a big v8 doner car or truck, some 2x3 tubing and fab your own bucket body.
Thats after you get this one running for cheap and enjoy the attention you get everywhere you go. :)

Thanks for the advice earthman. I really like the style of this car. I was thinking about going with a crate engine from performance unlimited and fabbing up a frame, or, just like you said, having a nice sunday cruser. It all depends on the cash/ how quickly I want to start crusing around in it.

I imagine given the extent of the rust on this boy It is going to be a really complete overhaul, so while I have it all apart I may just send some time figuring out how to build my first frame and do my first chop while I save up for the cash for a drive train.

It does come with an inline 6 or 8. I didn't really look that well. And three on the tree. I am picking up some wheel dolly's today to sove the moving it issue.

We have a '47 four door. That big old body is super cool! Ours has the vacuum shift trans, works great! I'd go for a newer Six if the original is toast. They are good cruisers and ride and steer great, but a V8 is a bit much for these old girls unless you spend megabux on suspension and brake upgrades.

UFS: I am really anxious to hear how this plays out. Know anyone with a digital camera so you could share some pix with us ? I really want to hear that you scored this and wanna see some "loading it up" pix and a whole bunch of you working on it !

I just bought some wheel dolly's so I can get it in the garage. I am going over there hopefuly tomorrow or the next day to get it. I'll definately put up pics as soon as I go over. I ws thinking about just putting it on the dolly's and rolling it to my house instead of towing it. However I allready think that the rest of the people on our street think we are a little white trash!

I just bought some wheel dolly's so I can get it in the garage. I am going over there hopefuly tomorrow or the next day to get it. I'll definately put up pics as soon as I go over. I ws thinking about just putting it on the dolly's and rolling it to my house instead of towing it. However I allready think that the rest of the people on our street think we are a little white trash!

Are you planning on using the rims? They probably won't square up if you drag it slow! Just flash your beer and say 'Hey y'all wasup' if they look at you funny. :D

I pull my stuff into the garage with a hand-winch connected to a wall framing bolt thats sunk into the concrete. It's a tight alley. Rolling weight doesn't stress things that much.

Oh, it also helps if you don't wear a shirt with your coat all open.;) Who cares man - just get it home! Bet most of the guys on your block will be jealous!

hey47

:cool::cool::cool:40 through 48 make a great ride I had 2 or 3 an used camaro front frame clips and 350s.Great cars.I lived in Pa when you couldnt get titles.I am in Tenn now.Good luck.I had a big block in a 47 about 8 years ago and It was fast as

Last edited:
Getting really excited. I got the cash in hand and am going tomorrow morning to pay for it. I have been doing a lot of serious looking on here now. I also got my garage all cleared out for the arrival. Just bought the house from a 103 year old lady and her husband had left a bunch of really cool old car stuff in the shop so I got busy haning it all up.

Want the acr to feel at home. Anyway I'll snag some pics tomorrow when I go over and post them up. I also got to get some tex smith books and start thinking about taking that welding class at the votech school.

Ps, the wheels look good on it, just not the tires. I should have the wheel dolly's by tomorrow or wednesday so I'm not too worried about this. It moght be nice to have these any way as the shop is big enought that I could roll 3 cars around in there. So they should really help with the build.

Latest posts

Back