'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was getting a bad case of depression due to lack of cruisin time caused by the cold temps lately. Decided it was time to get the interior of cab finished.

I got about 1/3 of the peel and seal in yesterday. Plan is to install peel and seal, a layer of foil insulation and then carpet and head liner. Then a small hot rod heater from Jegs. Then I'll be warm and toasty.

I ordered all the stuff to rebuild the doors and install the glass from Dodge Central of Michigan. Kinda pricey, $260, but it's all made to fit and they had everything.

FYI....I used one roll of peel and stick from Lowes and one roll of Home Depots version to start with and to compare the two. IMHO, Home depots stuff is a little thicker, sticks a little better, finish is a little smoother and is $1.50 a roll cheaper. Plus I hate I Lowes here, so I'm going with Home Depot.

That's looking good, pops!

We have different definitions of pricy! I find if I'm undertaking a rod project and it's less than $300 I'm doing good. I guess stuff costs us more up here, though.

I used the Lowe's stuff. Home Depot didn't have it here at the time. I'll have to check again.

In the 3100 I used a Dynomat kit. When that ran out I finished with Peel and Seal. So, with both in the same vehicle for 9 years, I can't really see any difference. The P and S is still stuck and still deadening the sound. I put it under the headliner (or is it over?) and it's still up there.

The one thing I overlooked is the inside door panels. I did the door skins, but the inside panels are huge drums that seem to produce a lot of noise.

Looking good as always.

Thanks guys!

Looks good
I need to get started on doing the same to my 33.

I just can't see having a ride you won't drive cause it's cold.

That's looking good, pops!

We have different definitions of pricy! I find if I'm undertaking a rod project and it's less than $300 I'm doing good. I guess stuff costs us more up here, though.

You're probably right but then again I remember when gas was .36 cents a gallon. My problem is I went from making $80k a year to $20k when I retired.

Looking good my friend. Keep it up and you will be in good shape in no time. She sure has come a long way since she left the place. Kudos to ya brother. [cl

Didn't really plan on it taking this long but it's getting there. Thanks.

The one thing I overlooked is the inside door panels. I did the door skins, but the inside panels are huge drums that seem to produce a lot of noise.

Looking good as always.

The doors are in for a overhaul next week. Thanks for the info on the inside panels. They do act kinda like a drum if you think about it.

i do too
what a kick butt ride
roger does great work

Thanks Billy. I really hate to hear you are selling your ride.

Progress...

I got the peel and seal in except for the roof. Need one more roll.
Got the insulation in and started on the carpet. What a pain in my
aching back.

Attachments

• IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4629.jpg
    IMG_4629.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 41
I hear you about the heat deal! If I didn't put some insulation and heat in my cars, I could only drive a couple of months a year without fighting fogged up windows. ;) That truck is turning out super nice!

I hear you about the heat deal! If I didn't put some insulation and heat in my cars, I could only drive a couple of months a year without fighting fogged up windows. ;) That truck is turning out super nice!

Thanks Animal. I like winter weather but you got to be comfy to enjoy it.

Locking outside door handles......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281879167082?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So I wanted to be able to lock the doors on my truck and I found these on ebay. Just what I wanted but they are both for the right side door.

My question for all you talented and all knowing is can I take one apart and
make it work for the left side? If so how do they come apart?

Don't know why a stock old dodge has a keyed lock assembly on the ride side door only? Makes no sense to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281879167082?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So I wanted to be able to lock the doors on my truck and I found these on ebay. Just what I wanted but they are both for the right side door.

My question for all you talented and all knowing is can I take one apart and
make it work for the left side? If so how do they come apart?

Don't know why a stock old dodge has a keyed lock assembly on the ride side door only? Makes no sense to me.

Most commercial vehicles and some cars were the same way POPS. The point being that you weren't supposed to get out on the DS of the truck or car when parked on the street. More than one person got killed by street cars and or traffic when exiting from the DS door. Both my Ford Truck and my early 50's GMC were set up the same way.
Don.t know what to tell you about taking the handle apart. Could you just turn one upside down for the left side. Looks like the only difference would be the way that the teeth on the key faced. Up or down.??????
Torchie

Torchie is correct on the handles. You can just flip you and use it on the driver's side. Then you'll have to lock both sides from the outside only. Pretty simple.

The way those locks work is that the lock engages the collar on the back side of the mount plate, to keep the handle from turning. Same idea as the ones my dad installed on his '33 Dodge, and they work great. Those should work perfect for you.

You might also consider '33 ford style handles. A little more pricy but also more style to them. Just a thought.

Torchie, I guess that makes some sense, getting killed might leave a mark.

05snopro440; I looked at the '34 ford locking handles, I thought they looked too fancy for my old hoopty.

When I tried just turning one handle over it only turned up and turned the wrong direction to operate the door mechanism and they only turned a quarter turn against a stop. I took one apart and with a dremel tool I removed the lug for the stop. Works great now.
I love it when a plan comes together.[cl[cl

Torchie, I guess that makes some sense, getting killed might leave a mark.

05snopro440; I looked at the '34 ford locking handles, I thought they looked too fancy for my old hoopty.

When I tried just turning one handle over it only turned up and turned the wrong direction to operate the door mechanism and they only turned a quarter turn against a stop. I took one apart and with a dremel tool I removed the lug for the stop. Works great now.
I love it when a plan comes together.[cl[cl

I love it when a plan works as well POPS.[cl Never thought about there being some sort of stop but it makes sense now.
I read an article about the PS locks only. Maybe in Hemmings way back when......
It seems that back in the day some cities had laws in regards to exiting a vehicle on the street side that made it a ticketed offense. But like I said. This was back in the era when street cars and saftey lanes were a common thing.
Torchie

I'd like to see someone try to exit on the pass side from a car nowadays, with the small cockpits, floor shift and consoles [ddd

Latest posts

Back