49 dodge pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to update havnt had much time with the holidays. Decided I'm gonna keep the lights on the cab. Also been building the carbs for the tunnel ram and waiting for a nitrous plate to arrive. Hope in the next few weeks to hit it hard and get some more things accomplished on itm want to have the truck done by the end of march. Might not make it tho.

Here are some pics of the tunnel ram. 2 600 holleys 50 cc accelerator pumps 3.5 power valves. With 200 hp of nitrous under each carb. Its gonna go or its gonna blow but its gonna be fun.

Attachments

• t%20ram%201.jpg
    t%20ram%201.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 34
  • t%20ram%202.jpg
    t%20ram%202.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
got back on it

hey guys broke down and got me one of those hillbilly garages im too old to lay in the the snow and cold any more. i also got the mock motor and trans in it, had to cut the firewall a little to clear the distributor. made motor mounts to move the motor 5 1/2 inches forward so it would not have a dog house like a van in the cab. got the passenger side header in with a little tweaking. going to have to modify the drivers side before i can get it in. going to make the trans mount tomorrow and start cutting the bed it is 9 feet long but i cut the frame and shortened it to a short bed so now i have to do shorten the bed. i hope you guys enjoy the build so far and i appreciate any comments, tips and tricks that you guys share. hope you guys had a good xmas and a happy new year.

Attachments

• redneck garage.jpg
    redneck garage.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
  • mock motor.jpg
    mock motor.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 46
cheating

made motor mounts to move the motor 5 1/2 inches forward so it would not have a dog house like a van in the cab.

that's cheating[ddev l just dog-housed the 50 dodge truck firewall and set the engine back 8 inches.

Later:cool:

Been awile aint got much done between being broke and cold weather. Motors done and sittin in it. gonna start on the floor and the firewall soon. I will keep you all posted.

do the front wheels hit the fender while turned ? i hear some people used camaro sub and others say it is too wide ,after carefull concideration i will be using a gm sub under mine , i have done frame graft before and not too hard if you can measure and weld,i got a 350 sb and a 350 turbo trans that came with last purchase of my 52 truck.any one ,comments from anyone who used just the front clip of any gm on thier dodge pilothouse build,what results? any pics after

im back finally my computer crapped out. truck took a dump bought a new truck and a computer. traded the old truck for a drag car. the car has been rolled body is twisted up but the chassis and cage is still straight. going to use the chassis for the pilot house. the drag car did not have a motor or trans going to use mine. it is a full tube chassis 14 point roll cage narrowed rear end. tubular a arms coil over shocks all the way around. rack and pinion steering disk brakes front and rear. going to make the 49 street legal but it is going pro street.

Attachments

• drag 1.jpg
    drag 1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 32
  • drag 3.jpg
    drag 3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 39
  • drag 4.jpg
    drag 4.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 34
  • drag2.jpg
    drag2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 32
body is off the chassis gonna pull the cab off the 49 and sit it on the chassis so i can see where everything is going to sit. will post some pics soon thinking of taking 4 or 5 inches off the bottom of the cab but not sure right now.

could not pass up on the deal i got on the chassis. then after i got it it just started screaming at me build a bad a** pro street 49 dodge truck. i will post some more pics tonight or tomorrow.

ok guys here is some pics with the body off. i still have to remove the wheel tubs and a little aluminum. also have to remove the roll cage. im gonna sit the cab on next. then either refab the existing roll cage or make a new one still undecided. also think i may have to remove about 4 inches all the way around the cab not sure yet. i guess i will find out when i get the cab on it. also going to have to move the rear end back 10 inches to get the wheel base right.

Attachments

• IMG_20110403_183334.jpg
    IMG_20110403_183334.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20110403_183351.jpg
    IMG_20110403_183351.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20110403_183409.jpg
    IMG_20110403_183409.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 35
not much to report today ordered motor mount, trans mount, headers and few other odds and ends. bought saws all blades cut of wheels for the skill saw and angle grinder. gettin ready to cut the firewall and floor off the cab maybe take 4 inches off the bottom of the cab all the way around. i will post some pics of the cab as soon as i get started.

ok guys rest of the aluminum is off, wheel tubs are off. i cut the back part of the cage off so i can get the cab on. i did a lot of measuring today and it looks like the rest of the cage is gonna have to come off and build a whole new cage. unless i chop the top and channel the truck the existing cage is going to be 15 inches lower than the roof of the truck.i am going to cut the firewall and floor out of the cab Saturday mourning and set the cab on Sunday. at least thats the plan unless something drastic happens. between now and Saturday i will make up my mind on chopping and channeling the cab. i still have to relocate the rear end back 9 inches but am planning to do that later. heres some pics of the rear end thats in the chassis and pics of the back part of the frame. i am liking the disk brakes on the rear end should help it stop quick.

Attachments

• IMG_20110405_192855.jpg
    IMG_20110405_192855.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20110405_192928.jpg
    IMG_20110405_192928.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20110405_192958.jpg
    IMG_20110405_192958.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20110405_193023.jpg
    IMG_20110405_193023.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20110405_193111.jpg
    IMG_20110405_193111.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 21
this build is starting to be real fun i cant wait to get it done. it wont take curves well but on a straight away it should fly. i hope it pulls some good wheel stands i want to see the sky when it launches. i dont ride motorcycles any more and i really miss my wheelies. the drag strip is calling me it opened last weekend, and i can hear them running while im working on mine. the drag strip is less than a mile from my house and its killing me. i dont ride motorcycles any more and i really miss my wheelies. i really am enjoying this build my sons friend down the road is helping when i have something for him to do. he wants to learn and loves hot rods and rat rods. i enjoy showing him what i know and he wants to learn as much as he can.

got a set of chrome side pipe headers for a corvette today for 100.00 bucks hope they will work. if they dont i will use the headers i ordered also got a drive shaft gonna have to shorten it tho. as soon as i get the cab off the frame im gonna keep the rear end and scrap the rest. i hate to scrap the camaro sub frame but i just dont have a good place to store it right now. any body got any ideas on how to cut the glass on this old truck if i decide to chop the top. i use to know a old guy that did it years ago but hes passed on since then. is it some thing i can do my self the budget is getting real thin on this project. spent alot of money the last couple days and still need to get a few more things.

Latest posts

Back