50 fochevalac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a little more done yesterday and today. I got my radiator mounted. I still need to put some rods from the radiator back to the fire wall. I also got the brakes and clutch bled .
Have a question for you guys. How do I figure out the size of the windows I need cut? I have the gasket in but have know idea what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
20150607_222946_zpsitht9vsy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150607_223017_zpsb1kxnmpr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG
20150607_223139_zpsovdrsboo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150607_223117_zpsecw6ulit.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Been working well into every night. Trying to make it to the St Ignace show this weekend. with any luck I will be there. this wiring is kicking my but. I have most of it complete now except for the turn signals . I need to finish an adapter for the crank pull and I will start the engine today .I got my glass in last night and a few other things. I used a set of early Harley turn signals up front.I welded a mount to the front of the headlight mount.

20150623_200015_zpsi1zn5sgq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150623_212359_zpso5qzgofh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150623_221054_zpsr95awn6s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150623_215431_zpsj26ctvw2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150623_215102_zps025lamy6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got the crank shaft pulley spacer done . As soon as I get the fuel pump wired and my son gets home I am going to start it . It will be the first time starting in the truck and for the last 2 years.
20150624_110502_zpsuttwphfl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have FAILED . I got the turn signals figured out . With help from Sam Fear. The only problem we had was both of the rear lights blinking at the same time. The harness had a brake wire running to the back . That was not needed .So my son got to start the truck for the first time We tried yesterday and the fuel pump only ran for about 5 seconds and gave up . Teaches me a lesson about getting a deal on craigs list. The engine ran well so I put the fan on and added water . That where it went bad. 6:00 p.m. and the water pump seal is leaking. I called advance auto and o'reilys and neither can get me a pump. If I am lucky enough to fine someone to order me one I will never get it in time. The boy is upset we can't take the truck to the show .But at least he got to start it on his birthday.

1959 Cadillac 390 not so easy to find . Looks like I am going to buy a rebuild kit for it. The bearings are fine. The seal is the only problem .

That's the downside of running old engines other than a SBC. Nobody stocks the parts. Hopefully you and your son will still go up to Iggy and see all the great cars and trucks. I know that it wont be the same........
The parade of cars started up 131 yesterday. I saw lots on my way to the auto parts store.
Torchie

Lots of cars going buy today. We saw some when we were at the hardware store on Wednesday . ya were still going .I will be in it next year.

Haven't worked on it much since the water pump started leaking. did a little work today. Got the dash made now I need to get it installed.

20150628_213208_zpsailzgesg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I used a stop sign off the side of a school bus.

20151010_125755_zpsimm3mrrh.jpeg
[/URL
Well here she is. We made it to two shows and a drive in this summer. There is several things i need to do. First I need to shorten my pitman arm . I have some bump steer. I also have a kingpin problem.Actually more like a axle problem. The hole where the kingpin goes through the axle is egged out I think . I also would like to get side windows . An the engine is burning some oil. I think it is the valve seals . The engine set a while . So I think the got dried out. But all of this will have to wait . I have to get busy on the wife's Plymouth.

20151215_205222_zpszxdwulnl.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure what that damage is yet. I went to start the truck the other day to bring her into the garage . It fired and made a funny noise and did not turn over the whole way. What I figure happened is when the cover got blown off rain water went past the breather and made it into the number 1 cylinder. When I went to start it it hydro locked . Now it will not turn over completely . I took it out tonight . Tomorrow I will start tearing it down. I suspect a bent rod or several .

So if any one knows where I can buy some good Cadillac 390 rods please let me know
Thanks

Latest posts

Back