50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was a wash, but I did get some things out of the garage so I have more room to work.
Just about time to bring the heater out, but I'm going to focus on putting things away and cleaning off the benches today and then see what more I can get done...

Really need to do a scrap run this week and rid myself of some scrap steel that will not be useful...

Yesterday was a wash, but I did get some things out of the garage so I have more room to work.
Just about time to bring the heater out, but I'm going to focus on putting things away and cleaning off the benches today and then see what more I can get done...

Really need to do a scrap run this week and rid myself of some scrap steel that will not be useful...

Sounds like home DR.
Did a scrap run myself last week and the garage temp was in the low 40's yesterday. Time to buy some kerosene.
Torchie.

Taking nights off is for wimps =P

Anyhow, I've been stripping the old paint off, at some point there was lacquer over the original paint, then another coat of red, then white... off it comes, I think this rat is going to be all silver, or silver with a black top... Trying to get welds ground, and hammer & dolly this chop a little flatter... [;)

Anyhow, on to the pics...

Attachments

• DSC05248.jpg
    DSC05248.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC05249.jpg
    DSC05249.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC05251.jpg
    DSC05251.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05252.jpg
    DSC05252.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC05253.jpg
    DSC05253.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 55
Wow bud!!! I only wish my top would have turned out that nice!!!! As for the paint it needs to be more than one color. Just my opinion.

Thanks ND, its really not as flat as I would like, but we will see how much hammering I'm willing to do, I'm almost to where I want to grab a torch and add some heat but I want to make it better, not worse.
I'm thinking of blacking out the roof and the top of the cab...

Those 8.8 Explorer axles are just dandy.:)

Almost, this one is a 2012 mustang rear axle ;)

if I stripped the paint off my top I would end up with a convertible! [cl

Looks good. Nice progress...[P

Thanks ND, its really not as flat as I would like, but we will see how much hammering I'm willing to do, I'm almost to where I want to grab a torch and add some heat but I want to make it better, not worse.
I'm thinking of blacking out the roof and the top of the cab...

It looking good DR. Don't let it get you Frustrated.
When I "TRY" to fix things I always keep the first line of the Hippocratic Oath in my head.
"I will do no harm" :):):)
Torchie.

Anyhow, I've been stripping the old paint off, at some point there was lacquer over the original paint, then another coat of red, then white... off it comes, I think this rat is going to be all silver, or silver with a black top... Trying to get welds ground, and hammer & dolly this chop a little flatter... [;)

Anyhow, on to the pics...

The way the light is in some of those pics, the bare metal on the cab almost looks like it's a copper colour. That makes me visualize the cab with the bottom half in deep black, and the part from the body line up copper plated. It would be possible to do, but probably expensive and a little tricky, but you would be the only one around with one like that! Just a hairbrained idea. I'm sure whatever you come up with will look great!

Well I used a new tool for removing old paint, and it is the bomb, its a paint removal wheel that threads on the 4.5" grinder... By far the best tool for removing old lacquer and other stubborn paint and even rust... the 40 grit flapper wheel wouldnt even touch the paint or the rust which looks like it was converted at some point... I'll be buying more of these they are simply awesome....

Anyhow, I got the whole roof stripped, and the majority of the rust cleaned up enough to spray the whole roof skin with the rust converter... now it can be primed, and probably a skim coat to smooth out the chop areas a bit... I hammered on it a bit tonight too before painting it and its a bit flatter and straighter but not as good as I would like... we will see how it looks after a skim coat, probably in sprint unless I get some more warm days...

The way the light is in some of those pics, the bare metal on the cab almost looks like it's a copper colour. That makes me visualize the cab with the bottom half in deep black, and the part from the body line up copper plated. It would be possible to do, but probably expensive and a little tricky, but you would be the only one around with one like that! Just a hairbrained idea. I'm sure whatever you come up with will look great!

I'm thinking of following the body line of the rear all the way to the front of the cab with silver, and then black from the roof down to that line, so it will angle and match the rear...but not 100% yet on that... and a red arrow on the rear of the quarter panel...

Hey DR, can you post a picture of what you are using to strip all that paint?

Home depot, but they have them everywhere... these last quite a long time too if you are not overly aggressive with pressure or against an edge or something.
I'm going to try to find them cheaper soon online...

fc6518fd-842d-477a-8434-a8c96c9282a4_1000.jpg

d1663414-6dac-4f5b-81ca-c38f28e8f914_1000.jpg

That's funny. I see those all the time and thought they were kinda hokey. Now I will have to give them a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks DR.
I used the same type of product to strip the top of my truck. The only difference is that they came with an arbor and I used a high speed electric drill.
I think they cost me about $6 each at my local Meijers. I bought everyone they had. They do cut thru the old paint. Will have to try one for the grinder.
Torchie.

Thanks DR.
I used the same type of product to strip the top of my truck. The only difference is that they came with an arbor and I used a high speed electric drill.
I think they cost me about $6 each at my local Meijers. I bought everyone they had. They do cut thru the old paint. Will have to try one for the grinder.
Torchie.

They work really well, I just need to find a better price on them.

Anyhow, small update, and wish me luck that my wheels sell today, supposed to have someone come look at them. If that is the case, then next weekend I plan on a scrap run and getting some fuel in the tank of the rat... and perhaps a start up attempt.

Still a lot to do, but feeling good about it.

They work really well, I just need to find a better price on them.

Anyhow, small update, and wish me luck that my wheels sell today, supposed to have someone come look at them. If that is the case, then next weekend I plan on a scrap run and getting some fuel in the tank of the rat... and perhaps a start up attempt.

Still a lot to do, but feeling good about it.

Here's to good luck then.
I have had some people sniffing around my boat that is for sale. But so far sniffing is all that they are doing........

Latest posts

Back