50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it was a really long day, got my scrap run done, about 500lbs of scrap steel with the old tank being the bulk of that.

Also got the truck over to the fill station for 10 gallons (And those *******s charged me about double the going rate for propane right now, so I'll be getting it through my work next time hopefully) One major leak on the fill line, the guy putting the lines on forgot to tighten the fill line at the tank... oh yea that would be me... And a small leak at the fuel distribution block area mainly because its going into aluminum and I have a hard time cranking down on lines in aluminum... So with those sorted out we filled all the fluids, and gave it a good purge to get the air out of the tank, and tried a couple times to start the motor, but no dice, no cranking just yet, need to do a little trouble shooting tomorrow.

Pump runs, and I manually tested the starter & solenoid and it will crank the motor.
So I have a few things to look into tomorrow, as I know I am missing some of the wiring that I previously removed/disconnected as it was mainly for lighting and dash stuff...
Some of the fuses were checked, now I'm going to get further on to the relay for the starter and see if its wiring or the ECM that is not satisfied to fire the relay...

progress

sounds like good progress[cl

patience and a little time will get ya where ya need on it, soon it will go VR00M & it'll take a week to get the smile off your'e face.

Later :cool:

^^^^ Well put sir!!! First fire out of mine, I was driving around the yard with no gas pedal I was so excited!!! Just a string on the carb was all that was necessary for me!

Good luck to you DR!!! You are getting closer now!!

Well you're crossing items off that punch list pretty fast. This is a very interesting and educational thread to follow.

I forgot what year model your engine came from, but if it's a 1999 or later it probably has a VATS system that works off of the steering column/key switch. If you didn't use that, you will probably have to have it flashed out of your computer.

I forgot what year model your engine came from, but if it's a 1999 or later it probably has a VATS system that works off of the steering column/key switch. If you didn't use that, you will probably have to have it flashed out of your computer.

VATS was only for passenger vans or special order, the cargo vans did not use VATS or any security from the factory.

Anyhow, tonight was a good night, it appears that the PCM will not fire the relay without the RCM (Restraint Control Module) wired in, which I believe is a safety system designed to not allow the re-fire of the engine should the air bags be deployed. I was in luck however as the air bags were not deployed on this van heh heh (I kid I kid).

So after trying to start the engine with the engine actually cranking a couple times I still had no fire and no attempt at a fire, so I tested back the wiring to the Crank Position Sensor which controls ignition timing and everything checked good, as well as the sensor itself. So I put it back together, and tried a couple more times as apparently it takes 4-5 attempts to clear all the air out of the lines.... Started right up and idles nicely! I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Here is the video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201490545799365&l=3021333335988230957

Sounds great! Glad you got it figured out! Now you need a box to put all that spaghetti [wiring] in! :D[ddd

Yea, I called the dealer about a to-go box, and they didn't have a part number listed for that... [cl[cl[cl

Yes, the long process of shortening/lengthening the harness will begin soon... along with everything else on the list =) We need a wiring smiley...

yea

[cl
more wiring, 0H yea,

ya ever feel like this:confused: pick the one that fits best for you[ddd

Later:cool:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_6148.jpg
    DSC_6148.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 48
  • news_cable_mess_03_full.jpg
    news_cable_mess_03_full.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
  • wiring_TDI.jpg
    wiring_TDI.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 46
Rat on Brother! Really glad you're making progress.
What a wad of wire, I'd be having nightmares over that.
My hats off to you.

Thanks Pops!

Well tonight I pulled the whole harness back off the truck, and got it out of the garage for now.

Started looking at the brake system.. blah.. of course I can't use the lines they sent to go from the brake MC to the combination valve as they expect it to go under the brake MC, and my crossmember bracket is right underneath it.... hrmph... Guess I'll be making lines for that...

Also the other thing that gets my goat is that the combo valve has 2 inlets, and 3 outlets, and they sold me 2 residual valves... I guess its ok because I can plug one of the front outlets and use a splitter, but of course only one splitter comes with the kit [S I still need one for the rear... so much for a "kit".

Luckily I have a second splitter from another axle I had.

The front lines are too short, rear lines I have no banjo bolts to fit the mustang brakes, so I'll have to scrounge up some of those too...

All in all, not a very productive night other than starting a list of more things I need to buy :(:(:(

I completely understand that never ending need to buy list.
I still don't get the guys that say they can build a rat rod for less than 2 grand.
I've got that in wheels and tires almost.
Keep pecking at it. It's gonna be fun when you're on the road.

Latest posts

Back