50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input fellas, I will look at it again tomorrow, but I believe the head is in the way of moving up any significant amount, these newer motors have monster heads... I may end up with a combination of the two, moving it up slightly, the wheel end down some, or just get a support and a double u-joint which would solve it altogether... More soon...

[cl
I just spent a couple hours catching up on this thread. I really like so many things about this build. The first thing that caught my attention was the LP injection. Then the front suspension is cool too, and a bunch of other things...

For the steering shaft, maybe you could put the first u-joint inside the cab, about halfway between the dash and the firewall. The smaller diameter steering shaft would be easier to sneak by the head, and of course the angle would be better. Then you wouldn't be tilting the steering wheel down into your lap because of the firewall end going up.

[cl
I just spent a couple hours catching up on this thread. I really like so many things about this build. The first thing that caught my attention was the LP injection. Then the front suspension is cool too, and a bunch of other things...

For the steering shaft, maybe you could put the first u-joint inside the cab, about halfway between the dash and the firewall. The smaller diameter steering shaft would be easier to sneak by the head, and of course the angle would be better. Then you wouldn't be tilting the steering wheel down into your lap because of the firewall end going up.

Thanks for catching up ;) I really try to do things that are different that I like!
Thanks for the positive comments! :)

I did some more mock up last night with a second set of hands and the seat in, and I think I have the steering column sorted out, without a tilt wheel, I'm limited to where the wheel ends up so I can get in and out and still have room to move my legs. The shortest column I could get in the style I can afford is 24" so that made it to where I have to have the steering u-joint in the engine bay... I'm going with a 26" and if the u-joint angle ends up 35 or greater, I'll put in a double U-joint and a support.

The steering shaft will be the only thing stick out out of the firewall, then right into the U-joint as shown because I have to maintain the location of the steering shaft to the steering box to have header to shaft clearance, and header to frame clearance.

I may try to move the engine bay side up slightly, and the wheel side down slightly to get to about 32 degrees, but thats all in the final fitment

Keep at it DR. You are gaining on it.
Steering shaft clearence seems to be an issue on many of these builds. As we shoe horn engines into an area not quite big enough:D
The problem that I will have with my build is going to be the angle. The stock car setup is much shallower an angle than is needed for the pickup truck cab,plus I am using the stock 3 on the tree set up. So unless I luck out and find a 39 Ford top loader that I can afford I'm really going to have to come up with some tricks.
Torchie.

Sounds like you're having all the fun you can stand.
The problem I have is I'm to cheap to buy the easy way and ended up making something that I already had work.

We could show them auto design engineer types a thing or two to give them bad dreams.

Stay after it. I'm sure it will turn out great judging from what I've seen you
do so far on your ride.

Thanks guys, I'm staying on it, going to go to the swap meet this weekend and see if I can find anything cheaper used rather than buy it new... if not I'll be ordering a few things to keep me rolling on the project.

Tonight I built up the floor around the brake master cylinder and I'll make a top plate and screw it down with a seal I bought today at home depot, I'll get pics once I get the top plate made up...

Made some good finds at the Gibraltar swap meet today, picked up a GM tilt column about the right length, no key or turn signal lever, but all the plugs are there... Need a steering wheel yet too... ($30) (Looked up the part number looks like an 88 Fiero setup, typical GM Tilt stuff with the bigger shaft size & about 24" long)
Picked up two old GUIDE running lights, probably 50's era, going to use amber bulbs and use them as blinkers/runners.. ($25/set)
Also picked up a couple sun visors which are almost the same color as my seats, and a friend donated a couple stainless steel mufflers (I think they are dynaflows, but I'll find out)...

All in all a good day!

Last edited:
Hi Dirty, Good finds at the swapmeet. Aren't swapmeets the best thing out there? Will you post the outcome of your Guide lights when you make the top little bubbles into signal lights? I also have a set of Guides and want to make them into blinkers but don't know if there's enough room in the little glass for an eleven fifty seven bulb.

I-R-Pops, You are tarred with the same brush as I am. I spend a way too much time trying to make something that I have, work when I could go and buy the right piece. It would be a lot faster and sometimes cheaper to go to the store and get a nice factory piece. Awww, dang rat rodders, eh!
Keep on tinkering.

Hi Dirty, Good finds at the swapmeet. Aren't swapmeets the best thing out there? Will you post the outcome of your Guide lights when you make the top little bubbles into signal lights? I also have a set of Guides and want to make them into blinkers but don't know if there's enough room in the little glass for an eleven fifty seven bulb.

The ones I bought are actually labeled as fog lights, so I imagine I'll have to replace the socket with one I can use with a multi-filament bulb for running and blinkers... I already had a set of headlights I put on a few months back, so these will probably be mounted in the same fashion, but under the headlights.

I threw the column in to see how it would look, it has to go up a bit, but it looks like I can probably make it work if I can get all the U-joints with the right sizes, probably some from Speedway.

Anyhow a few pics, I'll be back at it tomorrow as the wheels are done at the powdercoater and I'll be taking them to get the tires on tomorrow after work...

Attachments

• DSC05313.jpg
    DSC05313.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05314.jpg
    DSC05314.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC05315.jpg
    DSC05315.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05316.jpg
    DSC05316.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC05317.jpg
    DSC05317.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05318.jpg
    DSC05318.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 29
That bungee cord is the cat's meow when setting up a steering column, better than a friend even. That little invention will not get bored and drift off right when you need him, get miffed at you and drop his end of anything, or drink the last beer.
I remember when my column hung like that for a few times.

That bungee cord is the cat's meow when setting up a steering column, better than a friend even. That little invention will not get bored and drift off right when you need him, get miffed at you and drop his end of anything, or drink the last beer.
I remember when my column hung like that for a few times.

well.. that's a good idea! [S

1/14 Progress

I stopped and picked up the wheels, got them to Belle Tire, got them mounted and back home and on the rat. (Didn't put the hub caps on yet) Worked on the passenger side dash at the A-pillar filling in all the gaps, and started filling in the areas where the hinges were. Also snapped a pic of the raised section of the floor, nothing special but it will work.

Also cut off the old piping from the free mufflers so they are ready to go when I'm ready for exhaust...

Attachments

• DSC05319.jpg
    DSC05319.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC05320.jpg
    DSC05320.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05321.jpg
    DSC05321.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05322.jpg
    DSC05322.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05323.jpg
    DSC05323.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 49
The wheels and tires look great, DR. Ya done good. You have a very big project and your ability to stick with it is admirable.

Latest posts

Back