50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want to hear this thing run!!!! Get it into gear. So, I have to ask, You going to put some quick connects on the back and tow a BBQ grill to shows? You could probably make a killing selling burgers. :D

Going to carry some burnz-o-matic torch tanks for reserve fuel?

Just had to poke fun at the propane a little. :rolleyes: Mainly because I am jealous I didn't find something that cool to do. [cl

I really want to hear this thing run!!!! Get it into gear. So, I have to ask, You going to put some quick connects on the back and tow a BBQ grill to shows? You could probably make a killing selling burgers. :D

Going to carry some burnz-o-matic torch tanks for reserve fuel?

Just had to poke fun at the propane a little. :rolleyes: Mainly because I am jealous I didn't find something that cool to do. [cl

I actually planned on adding a slide out BBQ grille, already talked to the roush tech about venting vapor to run a grille, and a propane powered cooler/fridge... :D

We all do unique and different things, including your dodge man, I really like your truck!

I actually planned on adding a slide out BBQ grille, already talked to the roush tech about venting vapor to run a grille, and a propane powered cooler/fridge... :D

Oh yea the BBQ is a must...... I am thinking you need a whole concession style trailer. There was a busted up concession truck at the junk yard I was at the other day. I think you should go cut the back off of it make it a trailer and pull it to shows............

We all do unique and different things, including your dodge man, I really like your truck!

Thanks. I am trying pretty hard on it right now. I really want it done for the wedding. I think it would be neat to have it there..... Even if it isn't street legal just to pull away with it go down the street and back.

Small update, Grille shell should be here this week or next via Greyhound, bought an old craftsman tractor hood to use as a fake intake scoop to cover up all the electronic BS should be pretty ratty, and I think I might louver it since we have a louver tool at my office and just put a drip pan inside to route rain water off the motor. Sides are vented so hopefully it will look pretty cool...

Scored a set of unused but older MT Sportsmans for the rear of the truck, never been mounted probably a bit old, but should last me a couple years I'm sure. $250 on that score.

Scored the steering box from a toyota, so I'll be picking that up from the office monday, along with the intake manifold... still need some valve covers, but aftermarket aluminum ones are too steep for my budget at the moment... searching for a set of BBK aluminum ones for a Windsor 13 bolt head

Scored a set of factory service manuals for the 2010 E-250, mainly for all the wiring diagrams, but never know, might come in handy if I need to troubleshoot something, much of it is the CAN system, if you are familiar with that setup you know what I mean. Also this motor is drive by wire, electronically controlled throttle plate, so I want to make sure all the overrides are in place for safety...

Need front springs and control arms, but the frame work will move forward hopefully some this week, along with hopefully scrapping out the van body and twisted frame for a little loot back in the bank..

Wont bore you to death with vacation pics, but here is one of us

Just one pic of us on lake Michigan :D

Attachments

• 545440_472502996113135_2115044438_n.jpg
    545440_472502996113135_2115044438_n.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 60
Small update, Grille shell should be here this week or next via Greyhound,

You find the Dodge grill you were looking for?

Scored a set of factory service manuals for the 2010 E-250, mainly for all the wiring diagrams, but never know, might come in handy if I need to troubleshoot something, much of it is the CAN system, if you are familiar with that setup you know what I mean. Also this motor is drive by wire, electronically controlled throttle plate, so I want to make sure all the overrides are in place for safety..

This sounds like it is going to be a nightmare to set up, good luck. I assume by CAN system you mean CANbus. I have some experience with it. We have a few systems at work that run that. Not to bad to work with. All the same, good luck.

You find the Dodge grill you were looking for?

This sounds like it is going to be a nightmare to set up, good luck. I assume by CAN system you mean CANbus. I have some experience with it. We have a few systems at work that run that. Not to bad to work with. All the same, good luck.

I did not, I bought an older grille shell from an international, ad said 37-38, but I'll post pics once I have it, I'm not convinced that is the correct year unless its one of the much larger international trucks... plan on fabbing my own grille insert since it doesn't have one. Probably do some chain mail style insert.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170867286789?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648&item=170867286789&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&vxp=mtr

Yea, CAN is not too bad, really only 2 wires from each module that do the data send/receive. Mainly the wiring harness diagrams are needed so I can thin out the 2 miles of wire that I do not need, and also to know exactly what systems are on CAN.

I have no issue setting up wiring, I rewired a whole car when I was 14, so I been at it for a while, lots of jap motor swaps and wiring those into other harnesses, etc.

Starting to get everything put together for frame planning

Assembled the front axle tonight to get an idea of axle height... took a while, had to pack the bearings and re-assemble everything, brakes, etc... Assembled in the basement, as it was close to 100 degrees today, so inside was a better bet and everything was down there already...

Tomorrow I hope to have everything done with the donor van, so that can be scrapped.

Once that is done, I am going full steam ahead on the frame planning...

Attachments

• DSC04652.jpg
    DSC04652.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04653.jpg
    DSC04653.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 85
two days of working on the rat & donor van

Yesterday I spent the evening finishing up stripping off the remainder of the parts I can either use or sell from the van, so now its ready to scrap... I cut a healthy sized piece out of the rear floor of the van in hopes I can use some of it to build the floor pans in the truck.

Tonight I pulled the fuel rail assy, and intake manifold and swapped it for the replacement, as the one was damaged. I have the intake sitting in place, but not bolted down, I plan on doing some test fitting into the frame without the intake in the way.

Also swapped starters as the one I had was broken on the housing. I did sort out that a F250SD has a much longer starter housing (more windings I'm guessing) and no cast area on the side opposite the flywheel(starter gear shroud?), but it did bolt up after clearing about 1/4" of the motor mount flange, so I imagine it should work fine, just more torque than the old starter...(Parts place said it was interchangeable, I feel sorry for the poor sap who uses an E-250 starter on an F250SD)

Also pulled the exhaust manifolds to get more room to work, and to also begin making header flanges once I get the frame planned out, hopefully I can work some on that tomorrow and friday a bit.

Anyhow, on to the pics... first couple were for my reference for routing of hoses, and harness...

Attachments

• DSC04654.jpg
    DSC04654.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC04655.jpg
    DSC04655.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC04656.jpg
    DSC04656.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC04657.jpg
    DSC04657.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC04658.jpg
    DSC04658.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC04659.jpg
    DSC04659.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC04660.jpg
    DSC04660.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC04661.jpg
    DSC04661.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC04662.jpg
    DSC04662.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC04663.jpg
    DSC04663.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 40
Shouldnt be too bad, the hard part is the main harness, stripping that down, and shortening it or lengthening it where needed... I have the Factory Service manual & wiring diagrams... should not be too bad.

Shouldnt be too bad, the hard part is the main harness, stripping that down, and shortening it or lengthening it where needed... I have the Factory Service manual & wiring diagrams... should not be too bad.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[S, that's like where's waldo[S....But the payoff will be way cooool

I have swapped body harnesses in Escalades and Caddy Devilles (up to the 2010's) and they look like a mess. Once you blow apart the engine harness it will look intimidating too! I suggest doing a nail board on a piece of ply wood. Then you can clamp each connector to a nail in the postion you want to ruyn it. Then it is just a matter of lengthening and shortening the wires to match. You can take a ton of wires out as well. The worst one I did was combining a 2004 6.0L chevy motor harness with a 1999 mustang AND kept all the gauges, ABS a/c etc. oh and it was turbo charged to boot! it also looked factory when we were done. About 40 hours into it though!:eek:

Yea, I have not really touched the body since the donor van was brought up here... just was focusing on stripping that van down to scrap level... I do have some sketches for the front suspension, and frame, going to try to get the springs ordered, and maybe the control arms too that I want from a jeep, they give 35 degrees of twist without binding... not that I would ever have that much deflection in the front end.

Once I get it where I have a frame tacked together, I'll start getting the cab and rear section mounted, and roll it outside for some pics. Not sure how soon that will be, as we just got put on overtime at work.

Latest posts

Back