Carb options..?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John O

I run a 62 292 Y-block in my 54 merc. I'm using a 55/56 intake with the old Holley T-pot carb. I know all about the dreaded "Flaming T-pot from Hell" rap this carb has. This one has been rebuilt and and runs great, it looks cool too... I don't think you see many around due to thier explosive nature. Anyway I was thinking of switching to 2 Stromberg 97s or 41s on a Vintage Speed adapter...has anyone used one of these gizmos?? Here's a pick.

Attachments

• 2x2%20with%20carbs.jpg
    2x2%20with%20carbs.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12
I have not used one but have seen them on cars. They do look nice. I can tell you this. Charlie at Vintage Speed does very nice work. I have one of his 3X2 setups that I'm installing right now. They say he's hard to get ahold of but I can tell you that he takes pride in his work.

I have never run one but I thought I might mention that I am running the 292 Y block in my 39 Chevy Truck pictured in my avitar. I may have to pick your brain some, but I'll save it for another thread.

When I was a teen a local kid had a '54 Ford that he has swapped a 312 into. Had a blower cam and three strombergs on it. Thing was cleaning up streetracing. Y blocks are a very underrated engine.

I also have looked at the Vintage speed adapters and was considering one for my T. Not sure what route I am going to go on that change yet. I also see three carb manifolds and complete setups on Ebay from time to time for Y block engines, and they seem to be pretty reasonable.

Don

I bought my 292 from a guy who had it in T-bucket with trips. I'm not sure if they were 97 or 48s. But the engine smoked from being over carburated. 97s flow 150 cfm while 48s flow about 170. A stock 292 needs around 350 or so. I'm leaning towards 2 48s. I get frustrated dealing with ebay. I have never had success on that site. I'd rather just buy or swap what I need straight out.

Latest posts

Back