gasoline prices!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchman..thanks for the reply....I'm retired but can't live on SS so I'm starting a pilot car service hoping I can survive.

Torchman..thanks for the reply....I'm retired but can't live on SS so I'm starting a pilot car service hoping I can survive.

sounds cool, the folks I talked to doing it sure liked it.

hope this works

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight. On April 15th 2011, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $1.20 a liter in most places. If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on April 15th and let's try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day. If you agree (which I can't see why you wouldn't) With it saying, "Don't pump gas on April 15th"

I would really like to see a Two Day MORATORIUM on buying gas this time. Maybe that would send a message to the Corporate Robber Barrons.

Trouble is, you'd still need the same amount of gas, so you'd simply buy more either before or after the day of the moratorium.

Even a week or two wouldn't phase them as they know that right after that we would be lined up for miles to buy the stuff again. Let's face it, we are all in love with driving our cars and although we complain about the price of gas we still don't really curtail any of our driving. We are a nation on wheels and unless you live in small town America where you can walk or bike to run errands you are locked into driving a car.

For those of us who were of driving age during the "gas crunches" in the 70's, you will remember how frantic we were thinking we would never see the stuff again..........we were like drug addicts, looking for that next fix. People would come in from lunch and announce that they had found a station who was pumping gas and we would all pour out the door to go sit in line........every man for himself. I saw fist fights, wrecks, and a pretty ugly side of people who were stressed over not being able to get gas.

I just filled up my tank the other day with hitest at $ 3.89 x 20, and that will last me about a week. It is a real hit to the wallet, but not nearly as bad as some folks in other parts of the world, like England, where it is over $ 10 a gallon. ( I can't even begin to imagine a $ 200 fill up :eek:)

What is funny is that when I was just out of high school in 63 I pumped gas for a living for a while and there was a gas war going on. I saw the prices drop to 19.9 cents a gallon, and a buddy of mine who had a Vette in 64 with the optional big tank was outraged because it took $ 5.00 to fill it up. :D Oh, how times have changed.

Don

Don you are spot on....

Even a week or two wouldn't phase them as they know that right after that we would be lined up for miles to buy the stuff again. Let's face it, we are all in love with driving our cars and although we complain about the price of gas we still don't really curtail any of our driving. We are a nation on wheels and unless you live in small town America where you can walk or bike to run errands you are locked into driving a car.

For those of us who were of driving age during the "gas crunches" in the 70's, you will remember how frantic we were thinking we would never see the stuff again..........we were like drug addicts, looking for that next fix. People would come in from lunch and announce that they had found a station who was pumping gas and we would all pour out the door to go sit in line........every man for himself. I saw fist fights, wrecks, and a pretty ugly side of people who were stressed over not being able to get gas.

I just filled up my tank the other day with hitest at $ 3.89 x 20, and that will last me about a week. It is a real hit to the wallet, but not nearly as bad as some folks in other parts of the world, like England, where it is over $ 10 a gallon. ( I can't even begin to imagine a $ 200 fill up :eek:)

What is funny is that when I was just out of high school in 63 I pumped gas for a living for a while and there was a gas war going on. I saw the prices drop to 19.9 cents a gallon, and a buddy of mine who had a Vette in 64 with the optional big tank was outraged because it took $ 5.00 to fill it up. :D Oh, how times have changed.

Don

people not buying gas for a day will do little to stop this gouging..... people actually cutting back on their use over a long period will..... that's a big scarifice for many..... you have to tailor your life style to significantly reduce your own consumption of fuel..... then... you have to get everyone else to do too..... just won't happen in a significant way...... I hate politic's..... but that is the only place we can put a squeeze on them and the politicians don't have the gahonee's to buck the system and really do something..... :mad:

Regular is $115.7 a litre here today, every middle of the month (15th) and last day is always the only day it can change in price here.
So today's the 14th, so at midnight tonight it will change...... Ge, ya think it's gonna go down?.................not likely!!!!!! I like your idea of not buying on the 15th of April, but don't know if it will change anything, cause folks will buy before or after.Brian

Regular is $115.7 a litre here today, every middle of the month (15th) and last day is always the only day it can change in price here.
So today's the 14th, so at midnight tonight it will change...... Ge, ya think it's gonna go down?.................not likely!!!!!! I like your idea of not buying on the 15th of April, but don't know if it will change anything, cause folks will buy before or after.Brian

I've got friends in Great Britian and it's hitting them really hard there.... much worse than here... you and I both know that the oil they purchased today won't be refined immediately..... so the fuel we are paying top dollar for was made from oil when it was purchased for 55 dollars a barrel.... I think that dollar cost averaging should figure into the picture somewhere....LOL.. there is no relief in sight if we continue to purchase our oil overseas..... we need to become as self reliant for oil as we are for so many other things..... JMHO

Don, Sgt.P - Maybe it's a sign of my Grey hair as I made the assumtion that Not buying & Not driving go together.

Yes, just not buying wouldn't matter for one day. However everyone NOT DRIVING
would be a major hit, concider this:

"How much gasoline does the United States consume per year?
In 2009, the United States consumed about 137.93 billion gallons (or 3.28 billion barrels) of gasoline, a daily average of about 388 million gallons (8.99 million barrels). This was 3% less than the record high of about 142.35 billion gallons (or 3.39 billion barrels) consumed in 2007.

Annual gasoline consumption data

Last updated: February 24, 2011"

http://www.eia.doe.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=23&t=10

Last edited:
I agree.... but

Don, Sgt.P - Maybe it's a sign og my Grey hair as I made the assumtion that Not buying & Not driving go together.

Yes, just not buying would matter for one day. However everyone NOT DRIVING
would be a major hit, concider this:

"How much gasoline does the United States consume per year?
In 2009, the United States consumed about 137.93 billion gallons (or 3.28 billion barrels) of gasoline, a daily average of about 388 million gallons (8.99 million barrels). This was 3% less than the record high of about 142.35 billion gallons (or 3.39 billion barrels) consumed in 2007.

Annual gasoline consumption data

Last updated: February 24, 2011"

http://www.eia.doe.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=23&t=10
Not driving is different than not buying..... cutting back on fuel usage is the key but.....in this plan the key word would be EVERYONE....and you would not be able to get most of the country / fuel consumers to do it..... JMHO

It will be the same as before. They will push the price up until low income people are forced to reduce consumption and demand drops. Then the price will drop a little temporarily. They know it is killing the economy that is why i have to believe it is done purposefully.

I just filled up my tank. It was $90 for 87 octane.

Maybe it's just me, but I think when the price of gasoline goes up like we're experiencing now, the quality of the fuel goes down. I've noticed a slight loss of power and throttle response. I think the fuel is so crappy that the ECU retards the timing. I've also had several sloppy cold-starts lately.

My day job is to engineer fuel systems, alternative fuels in particular. Our best bet at breaking free from dependence on foreign oil is to switch over to CNG (Compressed Natural Gas - Methane). In the last project we did for General Motors, we only had a 3% power loss over gasoline, however, we did manage to bump up the fuel economy by about 5 mpg over gasoline. There were also a lot of other engine performance and emissions improvements over gasoline that I can't talk about. Additionally, switching over to CNG also doesn't require any modifications to the long block, so it could be done fairly quickly.

I would take a CNG vehicle over any other fuel without thinking twice.

Not driving is different than not buying..... cutting back on fuel usage is the key but.....in this plan the key word would be EVERYONE....and you would not be able to get most of the country / fuel consumers to do it..... JMHO

True we can't get people off their butts to vote, let alone not go to the mall or McD's for one day.

People will stop unneeded driving though. The last time it raced up toward $4 outside of "rush hours" the major roads around Chicago were bare except for Truckers & delivery fleet. My job had me visiting customers and it was amazing how little traffic there was.

Last edited:
They know it is killing the economy that is why i have to believe it is done purposefully.

Not disagreeing with you , but do you have any facts to back this statement up ? Why would they do that . I guess the key word here is "they" , which they are you talking about . A bad economy hurts almost everyone . Americas slow reaction to Free Trade and competition from emerging 3rd world countries and overly harsh government regulations are the major things that have slowed our economy down . Americans have grown fat lazy and incompetent . Way too many riding in the wagon and not enough pulling it . IMHO Lots of changes could be on the horizon . Japans economy probably will tank , China is in a bubble that could burst , Mexico is a ticking time bomb that will surly go off at some point . The mid east is all ready exploding . Cutting back will become a way of life if one wants to survive . Our country is broke -borrowing 40 % every year to pay your bills -would never work in the private sector . Our elected officials seem powerless or spineless to deal with it . Gosh what a mess for our kids too face .

Not disagreeing with you , but do you have any facts to back this statement up ? Why would they do that . I guess the key word here is "they" , which they are you talking about .

You may find these pages interesting:

for example; http://technorati.com/politics/article/systematic-destruction-of-middle-class-in/

http://mapscroll.blogspot.com/2009/04/is-us-becoming-third-world-country.html

I used to write these things off as conspiracy nonsence. At 53 I'm now part of the under-employed masses, through no fault of mine own. A 1st for me and kinda hard for a guy that's worked since he was 14 y.o.

A bad economy hurts almost everyone.

Yes, and the key word in that statement is "ALMOST". The problem is the "Almost" don't really care about the rest of us. :(

IAM LDS, the new world order, the plan for a one world government explains why the US is being driven into the dirt. A graph of the wealth distribution of the world looks like a martini glass. The oligarchys in control believe they can make the world a better place by eliminating war (and overpopulation as defined by them).

Thanks for posting those links Fe 203. This plan for taking control has been in place for generations. There are new emerging players competing in the game now however. The oil nation Muslim religion oligarchys with their HARBOR MANAGEMENT Companies !!!! When you have been born into infinite wealth and status for generations apparently it goes to your head. Now China. How long until the megarich there go powermad?

Just wondering what gas prices are around the country! Here in central Tejas they're just under $3. Still a lil high IMO but better than $3.50 a couple months ago!

BoB

Latest posts

Back